Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sawzall used in broad daylight...they even left me a broken blade as a souvenir.
My question:
Does the entire exhaust system need to be replaced to remain California smog compliant?
Will Geico insurance pay for this under my comprehensive coverage?
If so, will they pay for new OE equipment?
If not, what aftermarket system / converter would you recommend?
I ran a quick search on ebay and google and it looks like many for sale are not California compliant.
Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't have any info for you, just condolences. Hopefully they will get what is coming to them. I guess you can call Geico and ask about the comprehensive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Call the insurance man. If it's covered, have it towed to Honda dealer. They should know what is compliant in CA.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...I'm hoping to find someone that has already been down this exact road. I'd like to figure out my most cost effective angle before reporting it to my insurance company. i have a $500 deductible...I'm pretty sure i cant fix it for less than that.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's happened to a lot of us Chicagoans: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71815

From what I've seen, it depends greatly on your insurance company whether they will replace it with OEM or Aftermarket. I think though, any shop you take it to will replace it with something that should be legal for your state.

Also, if you do go with an aftermarket Cat, it seems pretty important to go with an OEM sensor, the aftermarket sensors seem to throw codes. (The sensor that was in the cat. they cut downstream of your first sensor at least.)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can you pick up an after market one for cheap, Calling your insurance will jack your rates for the next 3 years...
I'm pretty sure that in California insurance companies can not raise your rates for claims paid by your comprehensive coverage as these claims are usually 'happenings' beyond your control.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's happened to a lot of us Chicagoans: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71815

From what I've seen, it depends greatly on your insurance company whether they will replace it with OEM or Aftermarket. I think though, any shop you take it to will replace it with something that should be legal for your state.

Also, if you do go with an aftermarket Cat, it seems pretty important to go with an OEM sensor, the aftermarket sensors seem to throw codes. (The sensor that was in the cat. they cut downstream of your first sensor at least.)
Yeah, I will definitely go with the OE sensors...again!
I actually just replaced them about 6 months ago. Denso makes mine and I ordered them from rockauto.com

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Sorry to hear about that and California has to have their own OEM type of cat that costs a lot more then the other states. At least they left you one of your sensors...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I had mine stolen too, in Manhattan Beach. Have had nothing but trouble with the exhaust system ever since last Sept 2018 when it was stolen. DONT and I mean DONT get an aftermarket converter if your insurance will pay for an OEM one from Honda. Also DO go to whatever shop your insurance wants you to go to. SAVE every little piece of paper & receipt you get as you may need it later on. Im looking at my 3rd replacement in 8 months. 2 CATs have failed, The Automotive shop in Hermosa Beach wont warranty it as they say the supplier wont warranty it so nothing they can do. The owner wouldnt even talk to me about it, but had his service advisor talk to me even though he was standing 10 ‘ away. No I wasnt yelling or crazed. Im still looking at my insurance company, but I dont know. New from Honda the CATs are ....Take a deep breath, over $1900 part only. Also had one shop tell me its my motor mounts, until they found that CAT #2 replacement was clogged & not functioning properly.
Im interested in hearing what happened to you. Any suggestions are welcome, Thanks.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm pretty sure that in California insurance companies can not raise your rates for claims paid by your comprehensive coverage as these claims are usually 'happenings' beyond your control.
Correct - at least in CA, comprehensive claims do not affect your insurance rate. You may also want to verify your deductible - at least in my case, my collision deductible is $500 but comprehensive is only $250. I personally wouldn't settle for an aftermarket replacement just because the insurance company wants to save $$...if they won't cover OEM then I'd have them pay me what they would toward aftermarket and I'd pay the difference for OEM. Once you do replace it, invest in a Cat Clamp so it doesn't happen again:

http://www.catclamp.com

Sorry this happened to you - the world is full of souless scumbags that will screw you to make a quick buck or feed their habit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another California victim here... twice in 12 months. My insurance replaced with OEM. The cost was just under $3000 each time. My shop strictly recommends OEM in California since the car needs to pass smog testing every 2 years.

I asked if the insurance company would cover a theft deterrent, but they wouldn’t. My shop welded a series of cables to the converter which they claim will make it much more difficult to steal. I think they charged me about $150 to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts