Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I purchased a 2005 Element EX as a winter daily driver. Overnight the Catalytic Converter was stolen from the vehicle. Unfortunately the resonator and muffler section was cut making a like new factory repair more difficult without replacing that section.
My question #1. If I opted to not replace the catalytic converter (to avoid replacement from getting stolen) and customize an exhaust section to the resonator/muffler section how do I deleted the O2 sensors that provided info to ECU? Do any forum members have experience in deleting the CAT without then living with the check engine light always on?
My question #2. The increased emissions aside, any harm to the engine running without a CAT?
My question #3. Are there aftermarket "CAT delete" exhaust sections available that I could fabricate into the resonator/muffler section. If so, please provide seller info.

Thanks in advance for the assistance Element owners.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element LX
6 Posts
I have a 2010 Honda Element and I have had my converter stolen 4 times over the years. Now, durning this pandemic, for the 4th time, thieves have crawled under my car to steal the converter and clip the CO2 sensor wires then see that I welded it on with air craft cable and just leave. Trying to figure out a solution to that now. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Element EX AWD
18 Posts
The increased emissions aside, it may also be illegal to run without a CAT. The O2 sensors are used by the ECU to control the fuel/air ratio in real time. Check engine light aside, your fuel mileage and engine performance may also be effected running without a CAT. Yeah, suck to have the CAT stolen. There are devices you can buy that will deter from happening again.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element LX
6 Posts
The increased emissions aside, it may also be illegal to run without a CAT. The O2 sensors are used by the ECU to control the fuel/air ratio in real time. Check engine light aside, your fuel mileage and engine performance may also be effected running without a CAT. Yeah, suck to have the CAT stolen. There are devices you can buy that will deter from happening again.
Oh, I welded aircraft cable down the whole thing. I was going to get the CAT clamp but the muffler shops said they just cut around it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lindzrock:
I just had mine stolen last week. The little weasels. I am looking into your fix and I am talking to a friend who welds and stuff like that. I wonder if you have any photos of the entire converter? Both ends, so to speak. And what is Aircraft cable? Where can I get some?

TIA

DogHauler

·
Registered
3 Posts

Do you have the information on the devices use to deter theft? I'm replacing a CAT after my replacement of a stolen one has failed after 18 mo.s. Suggestion for OEM or not?

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element LX
6 Posts
Lindzrock:
I just had mine stolen last week. The little weasels. I am looking into your fix and I am talking to a friend who welds and stuff like that. I wonder if you have any photos of the entire converter? Both ends, so to speak. And what is Aircraft cable? Where can I get some?

TIA

DogHauler
They have it at the muffler shop. But it didn't work. They stole it again.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Two weeks ago I purchased a 2005 Element EX as a winter daily driver. Overnight the Catalytic Converter was stolen from the vehicle. Unfortunately the resonator and muffler section was cut making a like new factory repair more difficult without replacing that section.
My question #1. If I opted to not replace the catalytic converter (to avoid replacement from getting stolen) and customize an exhaust section to the resonator/muffler section how do I deleted the O2 sensors that provided info to ECU? Do any forum members have experience in deleting the CAT without then living with the check engine light always on?
My question #2. The increased emissions aside, any harm to the engine running without a CAT?
My question #3. Are there aftermarket "CAT delete" exhaust sections available that I could fabricate into the resonator/muffler section. If so, please provide seller info.

Thanks in advance for the assistance Element owners.
I recently removed my cat and replaced it with a fabricated megan racing down pipe made for the RSX type S. I used a magnaflow 200 Cell cat and had a custom defouler made as a precaution. I have no CEL. Psuedo Sci recently put a full race header on his Element and has no CEL. You can check out my thread in the performance section.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts