Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of going with the Universal because it needs welding which will indicate to the next thief that it is not worth stealing whereas they may not be able to tell an OEM from a Direct-fit. Any opinions?

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
730 Posts
The aftermarket ones apparently don't have near the amount of valuable material in them (just what I've heard, haven't researched).

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,208 Posts
Why would one of these jackhole theives care if it’s universal or not? They do the slice and snatch in 1 minute, as long as they can cut it they’re going to take it.
Sometime earlier on this site, a member stated that scrappers will pay like $60 for an original cat and only like $15 for an aftermarket cat. If you do a search you should find it; as it wasn't all that long ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am thinking of going with the Universal because it needs welding which will indicate to the next thief that it is not worth stealing whereas they may not be able to tell an OEM from a Direct-fit. Any opinions?
Not sure where you rerside, but if you are in California the universal cat converters do not meet California Emissions Code and you will fail your next smog check.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not sure where you rerside, but if you are in California the universal cat converters do not meet California Emissions Code and you will fail your next smog check.
Why not? EPA certified is EPA certified, right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why not? EPA certified is EPA certified, right?
No, not in California. California has the mist stringent standards in the country and any emissions systems in California must meet California Emissions Systems. The vehicles require that they have the certified California Emissions Standards parts. when shopping for exhaust parts especially catalytic converters you must only use parts that meet California Emissions Standards. when you shop fid these parts online, they will state "meets California Emissions Standards". If they don't have brought your vehicle into complianceand then pass your smog check.

ve this listed on them then they do not meet the California Emissions standards and therefore you cannot legally use them in California and they will fail you on your biannual smog check and you will not be able to legally register your vehicle until you have

·
Registered
121 Posts
No, not in California. California has the mist stringent standards in the country and any emissions systems in California must meet California Emissions Systems. The vehicles require that they have the certified California Emissions Standards parts. when shopping for exhaust parts especially catalytic converters you must only use parts that meet California Emissions Standards. when you shop fid these parts online, they will state "meets California Emissions Standards". If they don't have brought your vehicle into complianceand then pass your smog check.

e this listed on them then they do not meet the California Emissions standards and therefore you cannot legally use them in California and they will fail you on your biannual smog check and you will not be able to legally register your vehicle until you have​
That's crazy! Do you have to show your passport to cross the state line? LOL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife drives our 2008 EX which we bought new and now has 72k miles. I heard noise from underneath when she was pulling into the driveway and checked to see an exhaust bracket had rusted. I took it to the Honda dealer where the car has been maintained since new in NJ. They advised that the exhaust system was rusted from the engine back and needed to be completely replaced. They also informed me there are no longer any original equipment available and that they would install an after market replacement at a cost of $1,900.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like they want to put an aftermarket catalytic converter on. At that price, hopefully the rest of the exhaust would be Honda brand.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Have read here that those whom used non-factory cat regretted it. seems the O2 sensors keep tripping codes with aftermarket versions of the Element cat........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts