Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I don't know what's wrong with me, because I feel fine, but I walked with my wife onto a Honda lot and asked them about the only Element they had there. I know right? Well, I talked it out, and checked it inside and out, pretty clean with only minor interior scratches like someone tried to put a piece of wood in the back that was too big, not a big deal, and reflected on the price. Well, I now want to get it for my wife.

It's a 2008 Element EX with the painted front panels and such, and it's a blue color, no idea what the color is called but it looks like this:

And here's the deal:
27,000 miles
one original owner
Still has 100,000 mile warranty
Minor interior scratches in trunk
Crappy wax job
No tears on seats
Engine clean
Runs flawless
No chips in window:D

Talked down to $21,900
Is this a good deal? I would think only because it's what, 2 years old? But I don't do the Element scene. Should I get it, or look elsewhere?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I paid the dealer less than that (out the door) for my 2008 when I bought it new in June 2008. I didn't buy an extended warranty but even still I think that price is too much.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow, what did you wind up paying, if it was less than that... good thing I didn't buy it. I was completely willing to do the 22k but I'm guessing it should be way less? I checked KBB for the area code and it says suggested would be $20,700. Still though, if it was less brand new... Also, this one is an Auto transmission if that may make a difference in price, and it is also only 2wd, as says the dealer. I did not poke my head under and look, but I assumed it was a 4wd if its EX.

·
Registered
306 Posts
$21,500 but there are people who have done better on a new one than that. I could have done better if the one I wanted came from dealer stock and not brought in from another dealer.

There is a thread here called the "perpetual price thread" have a look at that.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Another bit of advice is that you read "Confessions of a car salesman" on the Edmunds.com site. It'll help arm you with knowledge and some tricks to getting the best possible deal.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Got my new 08 EX AWD under $20k last December so that seems high. Talk'em down...and check Edmunds.com for pricing in your area...it will pull up references by zip code.

Good luck!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another bit of advice is that you read "Confessions of a car salesman" on the Edmunds.com site. It'll help arm you with knowledge and some tricks to getting the best possible deal.
I already thought I was getting a deal, sticker wanted $25,998

and the furthest they'd go down was the $21,900 and after that I even walked out the door, refused to let them give me a test drive, and pulled out all the stops that got me my last 2 cars for way low, but they wouldn't move on the price, I should probably look somewhere else, but that blue one was really pretty... now my wife's in love with the color and that particular Element and I had to tell her we couldn't get it:-( We'll keep looking around. By the way, what is the color called so that I can call dealerships to see if they have one?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Color is Atomic Blue Metallic.

4wd usually has a sun roof, 2wd EX models exist.

21500 would be ok if it was brand new. With 27k that's actually high miles for the age.

The most I would consider paying is 17200 out the door.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,813 Posts
I paid less than that for a brandy new 07, and that was almost 3 years ago.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Checking if it is AWD or not is the same as on a CR-V... look for the pumpkin between the rear axles. Also, as noted if there is a sunroof then it is AWD, no sunroof then 2WD.

That price does seem a bit high especially in this market. My wife just got a call today from the local Honda Dealer about how they are willing to drop the price on a 2009 CR-V because the 2010's will be here soon, we were last in that dealership a month ago! So a 2008 you would think should drop even lower.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I don't think it had a sunroof; that one was one thing I didn't see, maybe it was one of the ones where the sunroof is in the back? Because up front there was a console on the ceiling with chrome-metal mesh. Really cool console up there, but that was it. Cruise control, the works, but it's still looking like 21,000 is too high. The dealer said 2wd, but like I said, didn't check, and I'm not really inclined to believe them all the time. I talked to 2 different people, the first guy didn't even know which one the Element was... what trim it was, etc, and had to look at the console before he knew if it was auto or manual...

Oh, couple things i forgot, the deal also included the all weather floor mats covering the entire vehicle, but I don't see those costing more than a few hundred. I'll see if I find something better. So far I'm glad I didn't buy it. I've been looking at a few others and nothing as clean as the 08. I've seen 06's with lower miles and the same painted panels, even one on a lot that was pure white, no black plastic at all. All under $17,000 but not as new...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why do these things have to be so rare? I can't find a single blue one in the area... I'm guessing once you buy em, it's hard to get rid of?

·
Registered
730 Posts
In reference to the sun roof...they are always in the back.

·
Registered
617 Posts
just bought my 09 ex awd in July with 23 miles on it for just a few thousand more and they threw in a 120k warranty. I think they are WAY out of line on the price

·
Registered
873 Posts
seems to be way out there, when I bought mine in may this year.the dealer had new ones fer $20500. 08 or 09 not sure. had an o8 x4x less than 10000miles for 17.500. probly went for $1500 less. I paid $11300. fer myne I should of got the 08. they told me thyed go to $16500. but I didnot qualify for honda credit. oH well I paid cash for the one I got. to bad I didnot think about $11000 down then finance the other $6500. sometimes I not too swufft. no thats rong <I not to swufft...

·
Registered
139 Posts
What dealer are you using? I used to live in Berkeley and know that not all bay area dealers are interested in selling cars or timely service. :rolleyes: ;-)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts