Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rubbing in the front end.
Posted a concern with rubbing noise on my 2007 w/ 25000 miles the other day.
Took it to the dealer.
Caliper loose front left !!
1 bolt missing.
1 bolt loose.
Dealer maintained, no service other than oil and tire rotation.
This could be a significant problem if that front wheel locked up at speed.
You have heard of barrel rolls?
May want to torque your bolts next time you rotate, or
Maybe now.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Dealer maintained, no service other than oil and tire rotation.
Thats part of the problem right there...maybe you shoulda had the required "brake inspection" done....prolly woulda caught it. ;-)

I woulda though something like that woulda been caught on a tire rotation. Whenever I rotate tires I give the brakes a good visual check while i'm at it.

(Actually, I usually "clean up" the brakes, suspension, back side of the wheels, and the inner fenders w/ some soap and water when the wheels are off...but thats me in my driveway, I wouldn't expect it from a dealer or service guy w/ a regular "tire rotation.")

Thanks for the heads up!

Will

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Aprilia says:,

"Maybe you shoulda had the required "brake inspection" done....prolly woulda caught it"

I Should have been more clear.
ALL suggested maintenance per the Honda manual has been performed by the dealer at the suggested schedule.
Everything that is recommended is always performed on the vehicle.
The first maintenance is an oil change and inspection. I was
remiss in the suggestion it was only an oil change. I hope the other readers of this post were on board with that initial missive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i understand what you are saying but, i to do my own work and that is the only way i feel you can ever get things noticed. that is unless there is a freind of yours that works at honda as your mechanic and takes extra care.
not all but most of the mechanics are on a time schedule, and it is just there job. but maybe thats just me that spends to much time making sure everything is in its place. with that all said, glad you did notice it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i understand what you are saying but, i to do my own work and that is the only way i feel you can ever get things noticed. that is unless there is a freind of yours that works at honda as your mechanic and takes extra care.
not all but most of the mechanics are on a time schedule, and it is just there job. but maybe thats just me that spends to much time making sure everything is in its place. with that all said, glad you did notice it.

Thanks AWD,
I have a job as well. My specialty is vasectomy.
I take every job seriously and do my best to see that all of the procedures are performed correctly.
As in calipers inattention may result in your demise.:grin:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
ALL suggested maintenance per the Honda manual has been performed by the dealer at the suggested schedule.
Everything that is recommended is always performed on the vehicle.
Yup... Brake "inspection" or "service" is a Honda recomended maintenance procedure. The miles/frequency and terminology varies by model year, but it is approximitly every year or two and 15-20k miles. Check your owners manual for the specifics.

Since your car is more than 2 years old and 20k miles, it should have been done. I don't think the inspection was properly done, or it would most likely have been noticed. (Or they did it, but didn't properly tighten the caliper bolts afterwards.)

At 3 years and almost 30k miles, I'd assume your E has been serviced at least twice, and is due for a 3rd. They should have given it a complete inspection at that 2nd service, no matter what schedule you're following.

Many members have posted of problems with dragging brakes or sticking calipers relating to the rear brakes. The inspection/service is often skipped, even by the dealership service departments.

A yearly removal and cleaning of the brake calipers, inspection of the caliper, pad, rotor, & other components, followed by a proper lubrication and reassembly is a great way to ensure proper brake operation and good service life.

Your car is 3 years old....have the brakes been bleed yet? Brake fluid replacement is a required maintenance item. Honda recomends every 3 years. (I think 2 is better). The lose brake hose certainly would have been noticed during the bleeding procedure also.

Hope this info helps.

Will

*EDIT* Sorry, I forgot the Maintenance Schedule Light thing started in '07. Owners of earlier cars got a paper schedule in their owners manual. In any case, the dealer that performed your other services should have been aware of the necessity of brake inspections. Here is a link that may help, please note that post #12 has an image of the paper schedule for a previous year vehicle that you may find helpfull. Brake inspection and brake hose/ABS & suspension inspection is listed as 20k or yearly.

I'm sure there is someone that can post a link or something for a translation of the #s and letter codes that show on the dash for the Maintenance Minder. *EDIT*

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your welcome Mrdi,

Im not arguing that you are not good at your job or many other people at there jobs. Its just that most people dont pay the attention that is necessary to do a complete job. And in this case if they did a complete job every time then there probably would not even be this post. or many service related posts for that matter. This was not meant to offend you, just putting my opinion out there which is what i thought this was about. Thanks for listening

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your welcome Mrdi,

Im not arguing that you are not good at your job or many other people at there jobs. Its just that most people dont pay the attention that is necessary to do a complete job. And in this case if they did a complete job every time then there probably would not even be this post. or many service related posts for that matter. This was not meant to offend you, just putting my opinion out there which is what i thought this was about. Thanks for listening
No offense taken.
This Element is my wife's toy, I no longer climb under cars.
That is why we do all suggested service at the dealer.
I am not particularily fond of the dealer maintenace either, but service there maintains warranty.
This missive is just a note to those who are experiencing that disconcerting sound in the front suspension. A note to have it checked for safety.
There have been many posts and only suggested causes.
I have found an actual cause in this particular situation, and if it is a problem
for me it may well be a problem for others...
Especially a problem for those individuals who are not capable of pulling a wheel to check.

You will admit of course a dangling caliper presents a special opportunity
you would probably care to miss.:razz:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
The Maintenance Minder-equipped cars still spell out what maintenance should be performed and when. 2007 owner's manual pages 184-185.
Thanks.

I found the link to the Various year owners manual. LINK see page 185 The brake inspection is part of the "B" service.

If the "B" service was recently performed it seems as if they didn't check or properly tighten the caliper bolts. Maybe a discussion with the dealer's service manager is in order? ;-)

BTW...I can't remember what Honda recomends, but I always clean the thread on the caliper bolts and give 'em a little dab of LocTite "Blue" (#242?). I do this on all my cars and bikes w/ very good results.

Will

1 - 11 of 11 Posts