Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cb radio in my E and had a question. I currently use it in conjunction with a PA system horn so I can talk to people over my loud speaker...pretty much just for fun. I was considering adding an antenna so I can actually use the cb radio portion.

Question 1: Is it worth it considering I live in orange county?
Question 2: Does it matter what antenna I get?
Question 3: Where can I get an antenna?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
You will need a CB-specific antenna, since antenna length and design is optimized for operating frequency. Radio Shack or similar will likely have a basic roof-mounted antenna with a magnetic base. Don't expect the clerk at the Shack to know anything, though; for knowledgeable help you'll have to go to a dedicated electronics store, if there is one in your area.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
be length I am assuming you mean the cable. Do you mean the longer the cable the weaker the antenna will be?

I wanted to run my antenna all the way to the back of my roof.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
No, the length of the antenna itself is determined by the operating band. That's why you want a CB-specific antenna. The cable should generally be as short as practical to reduce signal losses, but on a car it's no worry as long as you use the appropriate coax, such as RG-58U or similar. I think CB uses 50-ohm cable, as amateur does, but if you bring your rig to the store it should be easy to make sure the antenna, cable, and transciever will hook up correctly. There are a few types of connectors (your CB could have a PL259, BNC, or even an RCA), so there's a chance you'll need an inexpensive adapter as well.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
There are some excellent articles on some of the websites selling the equipment. Especially in regards to the do it your-selfer.
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm
This should help you in learning your system and tuning it properly.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Be careful with roof clearance

If you must mount on the roof of the E, be very careful of the height of the antenna. The Element is very tall. I am a ham operator and have a VHF amateur radio rig in my 2005 EX. My big challenge is that I park in a high rise parking garage at work. If your antenna is too long you will whack the overhead signs, if not the actual support beams in the deck.

My little antenna is only a little over 19" in length. But I had to bend it over about 30 degrees to keep it low enough and to keep it from being damaged by overhead objects.

If you have to park in a deck regularly you might either get an antenna that has an easily removable radiating element that you can remove when ou park. Or you might try to find a relatively short antenna.

Another option is to put the antenna on the hood of the car. This does not look as good, but helps it clear overheads.

Bill KD4AL

·
Registered
510 Posts
hmm... i seem to recall one older gentleman on here a while back that was a radio guy... had his antennas mounted either on his back bumper or on some sort of hitch thing.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
There is a tilt down and a quick release antenna mount, that would make it easy to mount on a modified bracket from a luggage rack mounting point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts