Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently installed a CB Radio in my E, specifically for the PA horn to cause some Mischief with my friends...but anyways I was wondering if anyone else has a CB installed? I wanted to know how you ran your antenna wire. I am looking at getting one of the magnetic mount ones so as not to have to do any drilling of any kind. Thanks for your help!

ExOxM

·
Registered
751 Posts
I run a CB when I'm on roadtrips in lieu of a radar detector and also for the weather radio. I place the CB unit hanging out between the floor console and the stock sub, it stays on its own but I suppose I could use some heavy velcro to anchor it.

I then run the antenna wire under a runner carpet I have at the backseats, under the rear passenger's side seat over to the passenger side wall. I continue it back to the rear hatch. From there, I feed it so it exits the weather seal along the very bottom edge and loops down a tad before going back up the rather plentiful channel that surrounds the rear hatch. I follow this all the way up to the rear of the roof where I have a magnet mount antenna.

Having the wire come out of the bottom of the weather seal keeps water from following the wire into the cabin and the small extra loop helps assure that none makes it up by any other means (wicking, capillary action, whatever).

I use this mounting arrangement because it is easy to put the radio in and out as I need it. There is some weaving involved around all the struts and supports of the rear hatches.

·
Chief Has Been Element Owner
4,759 Posts
i imagine you could run it the same way people have hid thier xm or sirius wires...just look it up.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chimphappyhour said:
I run a CB when I'm on roadtrips in lieu of a radar detector and also for the weather radio. I place the CB unit hanging out between the floor console and the stock sub, it stays on its own but I suppose I could use some heavy velcro to anchor it.

I then run the antenna wire under a runner carpet I have at the backseats, under the rear passenger's side seat over to the passenger side wall. I continue it back to the rear hatch. From there, I feed it so it exits the weather seal along the very bottom edge and loops down a tad before going back up the rather plentiful channel that surrounds the rear hatch. I follow this all the way up to the rear of the roof where I have a magnet mount antenna.

Having the wire come out of the bottom of the weather seal keeps water from following the wire into the cabin and the small extra loop helps assure that none makes it up by any other means (wicking, capillary action, whatever).

I use this mounting arrangement because it is easy to put the radio in and out as I need it. There is some weaving involved around all the struts and supports of the rear hatches.

How long is the wire you use the goes from the CB to the actual antenna? It sounds pretty long!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yeah, it is. My antenna is a three foot whip if I remember right. I guess there is some sort of ratio involved in the wire length, also if I remember right. Something like being divisible by the antenna mast length or something like that. I actually have a bit of wire left that needs to be splayed out under the rear seats so I get a clean signal. My guess is that I might have 21ft of wire?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts