Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone uses CB Radio in their Es. If so can someone teach me what to / what not to do install and buy. Also if there's enough interest can we get into one common channel for discussions?

·
Registered
24 Posts
11 meter radio is dead

CB radio is dead! I have been monitoring the 11 meter band (CB radio) on road trips and there is nothing! I can see the radios and stuff for sale at the truck stops, but haven't heard them in use nowadays.
I use a HAM radio, much more powerful and far reaching. A CB can go up and down the road for a few miles at the most. A small hand held Ham transceiver with 5 watts can reach a repeater that repeats the signal over a much greater distance with much greater power from a better location.
Do you know Ham radios use the Internet??? Now we are talking distance!!! I can hit a repeater located and enter in a few keys and using VOIP (Vonage etc.). can link to another repeater in another state or country. Yes on something that looks like a walk-e-talk-e I have chatted with someone in New Zealand! All for the standard FCC amateur license of $4.00 for 10 years.
Bill
KI6RDW

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have an old Cobra CB I always keep around. I plan on putting it into the new E if and when.

Interesting info regarding the HAM radio. I don't want to hijack this thread but would like to learn more.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Our Miata clubs use CB radios to communicate when we do club runs or travel together. I have a Cobra 75 WX ST Compact/Remote Mount unit. All the controls are built into the handset and it plugs into a remotely mounted control unit. You can purchase additional control unit relatively inexpensively and use the same CB for other cars. I recently bought a control unit for my E but have yet to decide where I'm going to mount it.

Here is the link to the Cobra site and this radio:

Cobra 75 WX ST

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I have an old Cobra CB I always keep around. I plan on putting it into the new E if and when.

Interesting info regarding the HAM radio. I don't want to hijack this thread but would like to learn more.

Here is a link to help you with the Ham Radio.

Dom

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Here is a link to help you with the Ham Radio.

Dom
Thanks for the link!

Also, that Model 75 WX ST is what I have had for years. Good radio and great flexibility with the remote mounting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a hand held CB I keep handy for checking road conditions, telling truckers when they have problems with lights and tires, and listening in on the truckers when I get tired of XM.
CB is still alive in the trucking world, good for local communications. It's cool to talk to someone on the other side of the world, but the trucker coming in the opposite direction can tell me where the smokies are laying in wait!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also have a Cobra 75 WX ST, I always find it funny when people say CB Radios are dead. I see it as a different mode of communication. I travel from San Francisco Bay area to LA very often and there has been so many times when the Cell Phones are useless and there is no way of knowing what is going on on the road. I always travel with my Cobra 75 WX ST and I can talk to the truckers and get all kinds of updates from them. I know when there is a police traveling up north or south, I know if there is traffic up ahead or if there is an accident. It is just another great tool for communicating it, and I would not compare it with Cell phone or Hams. (which I am styding to become one).

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HAM / CB Radios!!!

Please discuss both CB and HAM radios.... the intent of me doing this post was to generate some form of consenual channel that E owners can get together.

HAM radio in Canada requires licencing and training. Also when reading though the materials its a lot more complicated than CB. I believe with CB you can talk with 911 operators, truckers, road conditions and another 37 channels to do whatever discussions.

Any portable CB Radios you would recommend? Dont wanna start drilling through the E etc etc...

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I believe with CB you can talk with 911 operators, truckers, road conditions and another 37 channels to do whatever discussions.
:confused:Huh?:confused:
You can if the party you want to contact is less than five miles away (two miles in most circumstances) and is on the same channel you're on. Thirty years ago most truckers and some highway patrol units were monitoring CB channels 9 (emergency) and 19 (highway) but now most don't bother. Save your money.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
really CB radios 9 and 19 are dead???? Anyone else verifiy. Perhaps I should buy one and try for 30 days. If unsatisified I can always bring it back for a refund.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It really varies with the area and the shipping traffic throughput. As for only getting a 5 mile range, only on a portable unit. My old car had a $100 cobra classic radio and a single tuned antenna. It was a rare day I couldn't get 18-20 miles and on occasion, I could play the bounce out to as far as Colorado... That BTW is tough to do and is TECHNICALLY illegal. So, I don't recommend trying. But as a camping accessory, a battery operated handset and a vehicle mounted unit make the perfect setup. Covers more territory than the FRS units and your homebase (vehicle) unit, you can also get the nightly weather report (If your equipment has said option). Plus, travelling on the highways, it's a rare time you can't pick up a trucker or two.
I have nothing against HAM, wouldn't mind getting setup on both, but HAM is a significant investment compared to CB.
Either way, you can have fun. Heck, I even picked up a set of these (http://www.amazon.com/TriSquare-TSX-300-900MHz-Charcoal-Metallic/dp/B000WY8JRU/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IIZ0JZ4GOEGV0&colid=18011YDKWSQC) As a handheld, alternative, they are well setup for convoys and camping. They say they get greater than FRS range, although I haven't had the opportunity to get a good read on it yet.
Either way, Have Fun.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
My mother in law has a hand held cb radio that she keeps in her glove box and we borrow it on road trips as a way to find out info on traffic jams. It is nice to be able to know how long the back up really is and if it is better to find an alternate route. I have thought about getting one to keep in my E for the same reason but just end borrowing instead.

I think it is VHF/marine band that is the only one left with designated monitored channels.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
really CB radios 9 and 19 are dead???? Anyone else verifiy. Perhaps I should buy one and try for 30 days. If unsatisified I can always bring it back for a refund.
9 is dead and also not monitored for the "informal" emergency call channel it was intended to be back in the '70s.

19 is very busy on interstates, if you (and your family) have tolerance for potty mouths. Listen for a while and get a firsthand taste of the contempt that many big-rig truckers have for anybody else on "their" road.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Isn't that the truth. Not to offend any truckers we have on the board here but, wow. I like to support my local railway as much as possible. On the other hand the little bit of good info on a CB I can get from time to time makes me glad there are some truckers out there.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i worked in transit operations for 3 years, we hear a handful of those comments too of other drivers and passengers.....

thats cool... but channel 9 sounds concerning, part of my intent of getting a CB is to radio in emergencies.

i wonder if we should do a CB decal for our Es and also agree upon a channel?

·
Registered
24 Posts
When someone mentioned Ham radio to me I thought IT had died years ago with the CB radio and replaced by cell phones!! When I signed up for CERT (community emergency response team) training given from our local fire department I learned ham is very not dead. The training is designed for major disasters where the police and fire departments will be overwhelmed with calls like in an earthquake. Now I have a fire department issued tactical call sign and check in with them every week.

Both CB and Ham require licenses from your respective country. Here in the USA they are each $4.00 dollars, but the Ham requires passing a 35 question multiple choice test. If you pick up the Ham technician license test book you may be overwhelmed with acronyms and jargon. They want you to know Ohms law and be able to calculate resistance from voltage and amps?? It is very interesting to learn, but most of aren't building our transmitters these days. I took the license test from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department. Before the test they emailed and handed out all the questions with answers for ONLY the correct choice. The pool of questions is several hundred, the test is only 35. Not hard to get your ticket. There are practice tests on line as well.
CB radio is limited 4 watts, modifications for more power is a FCC no no!!! Ham is 100 watts or more depending on the license.
I purchased a simple 2 meter, 70 cm dual band Yaesu 7800 for $250usd and has 50 watts. Using a repeater I communicate with friends using handhelds an hour half away, 60 or more miles.
I have tried for hours on the open road scanning all 40 CB channels and I haven't caught a single CB transmission. Oh and another thing to mention, a Ham radio can listen to almost anything except cell frequencies like a scanner. It will only transmit on the 2m and 70cm bands.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Check out QRZ.COM or ARRL.org for lots of Ham stuff.
Bill
KI6RDW

1 - 20 of 66 Posts