Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a suggestion for a mobile CB Radio unit? I'm looking at one for my move from CA to TX in August.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wiring

I went ahead and got the Cobra 19 DX IV. I'm not planning on becoming my own mobile base station, so I decided that a small, inexpensive device will do it. My only issue is my inexperience wiring in my car. I'm assuming that when it arrives (ordered online) It should be pretty straightforward plugging the electrical lead into one of the accessory fuses. Am I wrong?
:confused:
I've been trying to find the "idiots guide to wiring accessories, but have failed.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,822 Posts
As long as you connect a good ground on the chassis, you could use the axillary power socket. I've used a CB radio on and off, never actually installed it permanently. I use a magnet mount antenna, run the lead out the skylight, the Element roof makes a GREAT ground plane. The unit I have is a 20 year old Cobra with all the controls in the mic and it works well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as you connect a good ground on the chassis, you could use the axillary power socket. I've used a CB radio on and off, never actually installed it permanently. I use a magnet mount antenna, run the lead out the skylight, the Element roof makes a GREAT ground plane. The unit I have is a 20 year old Cobra with all the controls in the mic and it works well.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really not a fan of adding another device to my auxilary socket, I've already got the XM and occassionally the phone there, and have used an extension to bring the power from the back, forward. (I think my car needs its own nuclear power plant) So hardwiring would be ideal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
wiring a CB is super easy. Just one major concern - don't run your antenna wire near any electrical wires or you will get bleed over from the alternator and have to use so much squelch that your radio is useless. You can check to see if you have alternator noise by turning down the squelch and driving (actually you usually just need to rev the motor) and if the noise follows the rpms of the engine, you need to move your antenna wire.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wiring a CB is super easy. Just one major concern - don't run your antenna wire near any electrical wires or you will get bleed over from the alternator and have to use so much squelch that your radio is useless. You can check to see if you have alternator noise by turning down the squelch and driving (actually you usually just need to rev the motor) and if the noise follows the rpms of the engine, you need to move your antenna wire.

I wish I would have read this earlier. I'm going to have a glass mount antenna installed by a professional. I think it's gonna work easier. The electrical crapped out on me. (wired to the battery) and so I have to spend a few hours either re-wiring or replacing the quick disconnect between the battery wire and the CB wire.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Those glue-on antennas are crap. If you expect to actually use your radio outside of a couple hundred yards, you need a real antenna.

Permanently drill, a magnet mount, or you can get clever and mount a non-groundplane antenna to the roof rack with a bracket as to not have the magnet eat your paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts