Honda Element Owners Club banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
CD Stuck

Thanks guys. Although where do I get the code for the radio prior to disconnecting the batteries?

I have an 03 EX with an OEM stereo/CD.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Search is your friend . . .

Well, my friend today. I got a CD-R stuck, and that killed the CD player. I was ready to invest in a new deck (that I don't need - other than the CD issue), and decided to tr out the EOC forums thinking somebody must have run into this before. Just like the cabin filter replacement thread, the side marker into turn signal thread, and really countless others, the folks here came through.

I did the whole pull the ground-from-the-battery-go-have-a-beer-then-return trick, and it worked like a charm. Everything except the beer part - I don't drink. But a Caffeine-Free Diet Coke worked just as well.

Thanks to all who make this the ultimate forum for information.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update: Stuck CD In OEM 03 Element Stereo

I just bought a used 03 E with a stuck CD in it. I followed suggestions in here from using another CD, tweezers, on-off ejection,etc....It won't eject at all. What worked for me are the following(warning this will damage the stuck CD-Personally I didn't care for mine rather than paying $100s to have someone else do it or replacing the stereo):

1) I used a wire hanger. Untangled it straight and cut it in half-about 10". I bent a 1/2" hook at the end of the wire. The objective is to find/feel the hole in the middle of the CD that's stuck inside.

2) Gently and with patience, insert the wire-hook first ( hook sideways to fit the slit) then feel through the top part of the stuck CD and fish for the middle part of the CD hole until it gets hooked. A small flashlight can help you see a part of the CD to give you an idea where the top part is.

3) Once it gets hooked, gently pull the CD out.

This quite crude approach saved me some time and money since I was about to replace it with a new stereo. The CD player now works fine-hopefully no more problems. I would probably get a CD cleaner to make sure there's nothing in it to make CDs stuck.

Good luck to anyone who needs this advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks,

I've got a 2005 EX with the OEM CD player. First, I couldn't eject the cd inside, but it made sounds like it was trying. In CD mode, it would blink "cd ejecting". Now it doesn't do anything - won't try to eject, and won't even go into cd mode.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have the exact same problem, any way to fix it? HELP!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since the CD player wasn't responding at all, I thought I would try to reset it by disconnecting the battery. After re-entering the stereo security code, the CD player responded normally again & ejected the CD! Problem solved.

Hopefully this will help another forum-goer before they do as I did & trash their dust cover trying to extract the CD manually... :rolleyes:
Cool, I will try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CD player won't eject CD

I have a 2005 Element. I love the sound system, but the CD player will not eject the CD properly. I don't want to use it because I'm afraid a CD will get stuck in it permanently. The dealer says that they send it off to California for repairs for some thing like $250. Has anybody had this problem and resolved it successfully.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If the CD player is the stock unit you can try disconnecting the battery cable and reattach it. Then try doing an eject. I had left a CD in my player and it made three attempts to eject and locked out the button. My is still working fine. I just never leave a disc in the player anymore when it's done playing. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
EX CD Player Jamming [Solved]

For those who were following my former post regarding my CD player jamming when ejecting CDs, I ended up doing a complete disassembly of the CD drive assembly and cleaning the eject rollers with rubbing alcohol. I don't have a complete writeup of the process, but I have some rather crude pictures of the inside of the head unit taken with my cameraphone. If you venture inside your head unit, the usual "I take no responsibility for your actions" apply here.

This is the roller assembly itself. The black part on the left is the part that you clean with the rubbing alcohol. This part is what contacts the CD and causes it to eject.

This is the top of the drive which keeps the roller pinned so that the CD can make contact with it. If you remove this, be very careful when removing it as the roller assembly underneath it is under spring tension.

This is the drive itself with the roller and the CD guide removed. You can clearly see how complex the drive mechanism really is.

To the best of my knowledge, the entire eject mechanism is operated by a single motor. The servo motor controlling the laser position and the CD spinning motor are separate, of course. All in all, it took me approximately 4 hours combined to repair my drive and put it back in the car. This was a stopgap measure because I really cannot afford a new head unit right now. Once I can afford one, I will again remove my factory unit and take some high quality pictures and make a writeup so that if anyone wants to attempt it, go ahead.
This is what i just did. Everything was fine until i decided to take a picture of the roller to post it in here.
One of the screws flipped and went to the bottom. I turned the radio to try to get it and one spring came out and i don't know were it belongs. :(
The roller was still on the radio with both of it's springs. Any body has a better picture like the last one?. It looks blurred and has the watermark.

Also fixed the volume knob. For a 2003 EX. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is a picture with the roller. I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and worked just fine. I am able to eject the CD every time.

You need to be cautious with the spring. i didn't notice when i dismounted the part and i could have damaged the mechanism :(

The radio ejected the CD without that spring attached. There is some noticeable wear so i figured the spring could go in there. I tried the radio and it worked fine, it is able to eject the CD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Before trying the "disconnect battery and beer" method. It is less work. Turn off car, HOLD eject button while restarting. Resets the thing. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary. Happens to me 50 % of the time. If i catch a fresh red light, i shut down, hold eject while restarting, and release if/when disk ejects.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts