Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eMass, should I get two pair of the CDT CL-6x(s) or one pair of those for the rear and one pair of CL6 mid-bass drivers for the front? Also, how necessary are the Honda wiring harnesses?

Thanks!

·
Registered
957 Posts
It depends on how much high freq sound you prefer.

You could...

1. Put the CDT CL-6X's all around if you want a lot of highs
2. Put the CDT CL-6X's up front and the CDT CL-6's in the back for less highs

I personally prefer the second option since it keeps the soundstage up front. Imagine being at a concert, where's the band? Ideally, they're right in front of you usually up higher a little bit on stage (unless you got nosebleed seats). The goal of any quality soundsystem is to accurately reproduce that soundstage effect.

If you put high frequency sounds behind the driver it tends to pull the soundstage into the center of the car.

Another trick is to go ahead and put highs in back but just fade the back speakers down a lot in order to reduce the problem. I feel that's not the best approach unless your front speakers are amped and the backs are not.

In your situation I really would recommend coaxials in the front and midbass drivers in the back. :D

Oh, and the speaker adapters aren't necessary at all unless you plan on selling your car someday. You might want to put the factory gear back in. If you use the harness adapters you will be able to unclip your aftermarket speakers and just clip in the factory ones again.

Otherwise, cut off the plastic factory clips on the ends and crimp on some spades for attaching to standard speaker terminals.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered two pairs of the CL-6x(s) because the CL-6(s) were too deep to put in the front doors. Should be here by the end of the week. I'll install them, take some pics, and post a review.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Can't wait to see your review. :D BTW, If they're too bright for the back you can always disconnect the wires going to the tweeter. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got 'em installed! wasn't as easy as I'd hoped. The driver's side front and back went in real easy. The passenger side speakers required some alterations. In the rear, I had to remove some of the trim that runs around the circumference of the speaker. In the front, I had to dremel tool the crap out of the opening to get the speaker to fit. The speakers fit perfectly with regards to depth, it's the basket circumference that's slightly too big for the opening. Also, the holes in the basket don't line up with those on the door. I used the top hole and drilled two additional holes for each speaker to get 'em in tight.

As far as the sound? They sound great! Her's the rundown:
Bass is tighter, more musical. I listen to jazz/funk oriented bands and with these speakers I can follow closely the notes of a double bass or an electric bass for that matter. The midrange is all of a sudden there. It's amazing how much was missing with the original speakers. Voices sound more natural. The treble is a major improvement. I don't have to turn the treble control up near as much with these. Sensitivity is just right...I can run them all the way up to peak levels and they sound clean with little or no distortion.

Recommended if and only if you want great sound and are willing to do some mods to get them in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was looking for something other than the usual speakers (Infinity, Polk, etc.) so I got four CDT CL-6Xs based on your review. These sound great, much better than the Polks I had in my last car. I too had to remove quit a bit of material with the Dremel tool to get them to fit but worth it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool!!! Yeah, the passenger side was a [email protected] for me too. They sound 100% better than stock. Not overly bright like Infinity, and better mids and tighter lows than Polk. Did you get a good deal?

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you removed "some of the trim", was that from the speakers or the speaker grill.

I want to be able to put the stock speakers back in when I sell the car. Would installing these speakers prevent me from doing that. Also will anything show on the speaker grills?

I found some place that was selling these for $85 / pair. Unfortunately, I lost the link.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used a Dremel tool to trim out some of the right side door panels to let the basket fit better. Not so much that I can't re-install the original speakers. I'm still using the stock grill covers, so there are no external signs of any difference from stock. I also used the Honda wiring harnesses with the aftermarket adapters I got at my local car audio retailer ($9.95 pair).

Also, do a search on CDT and find the discussion where you can get them for $75 per pair.

They do sound really good!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chip,

Thanks for the reply. I found the posting for $75. Unfortunately, both the links that were in your post have these at $98 now.

I am starting to think I may just go with 2 pairs of Polk's for now. I am going to run the stock Amp and sub. I think I may just go with a good value (less then $150) and easy install for now. If I decide to go all out later, I will just replace the speakers all together. eMass has provided lots of great help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts