Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a great option for the center console. I found this cooler, made by the Weather Channel of all people. It was on sale at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It retailed for $49.99, but I was able to get the display out-of-box for $19.99. It really fits great. I simply used a strong velcro to keep it in place. The cooler interior can be used for storage.

First post :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
That looks cool! Of course, it helped that you pretty much swiped it from them. I'm surprised security didn't stop you on the way out.

Is it pretty much a given that you cannot access the e-brake with that in there?

CoolE'sRule!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parking brake functions fine with plenty of room. The passenger armrest does not go down. However, the console works perfectly fine as an armrest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Safranski

I've been looking for months a console that would fit between the front seats without having to build or modify anything and still use the hand brake. Even cooler that it is a cooler - kinda catches us up to the 2009 model. Thanks so much for posting. I immediatley ordered one off the net for $19.99.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hrm, I was going to order the one off ebay but this looks like a nice option to look into. How does it interfere with the cup holders in front? Can you post pics of it from the front so we can see how it interacts with the parking break and whatnot better?

Such a tough crowd we are.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lurker, here.

I bought mine from buy.com as well. Got some industrial velcro at Joanns. For best adhesion, cut a space out for the little 'feet' and then lay a strip on top of the feet as well. I only needed to do this on the front (cupholder facing forward) as the rear feet are flush when velcroed around them.

I slid it forward enough that the extra cupholder and the well can still be used, this way the end of the cooler is flush with the edge and you can still use the rear cupholder and well area.

The door holding the cord is a piece of crap, already snapped that off, so be careful.

I have to disagree with the 'plenty of room' for the ER brake. You can use the brake but you have to sort of do it underhanded, in other words you can't wrap your fingers around it because there's no clearance between the brake and the cooler. It is functional, just funky.

The cup holders look dinky but they held my McDonald's Sweet Tea which was the critical pass test.

You have to push the blue button to lock as well as open the cooler lid. But for $20 with free shipping I can live with that. There is a ton of space. Great for dog treats, etc. These coolers usually work best with pre chilled stuff, so for me, I don't think I'll be using it very often as I don't travel that far on a regular basis.

Hope that helps. It's worth it to take the time to cut the velcro to fit and compensate for the uneven bits. You know, if you are like me and will insist on sitting there for fifteen minutes seeing how much it moves after installation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great points. I live in an extremely flat area, so rarely do I ever even use the parking brake, but it is functional. Sorry if that was misleading.

Definitely agree on the velcro comments as well. So far so good. We'll see in a few months how it holds up!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Weather Channel Cooler Console Review

Received my Cooler-Console in four days with free shipping. That's impressive. It is exactly the right size to fit between the seats leaving room for the hand brake.

I have to admit I was slightly disappointed though in the cooling function. The manual states that it only cools to 30 degrees below the air temp. I live in the desert and even parked in the garage in the shade it gets to over 100 degrees in my Element. In a parking lot in the mid-day Sun, my indoor thermometer quits registering after 120. It takes a while of cruising with the a/c blasting to get it down to the 80's in there.

It also states it takes an hour and a half for the cooler to get cool and that I should add ice and make sure the items are cold to start. To me this indicates that the cooler would only be effective on long trips. And that you cannot leave the cooler plugged in when the car is off. I figured this, as just turning the radio on when I wash it is enough to make my battery go dead from the day I bought it. And if I have to add cold items and ice, why bother plugging it in.

I will more likely use the console for storage and a armrest and never plug it in. If I do use it for a cooler, I will probably use my little frozen gelpacks. I wouldn't pay the regular $50 price without better cooling function but perhaps worth $19.99 for the added storage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too just got mine from buy.com and it fits nicely. I pushed it a little farther back to get a better grasp on the e-brake. My E doesn't have a passenger arm rest so this is a super inexpensive alternative to the other options. It does cover up the E's cup holders but it's also easy to move to the back seat. Worth the money even if you never use the cooler part. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
86 Posts
argh, I just can't decide if I want this one or the "other" one that most people get on ebay. I hate making decisions.

I'm trying to decide what color Wet Okole's to get as well and that is driving me up a freaking wall. Pink Aloha or Grey with orange piping....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got mine the other day. I really like the color match on the interior. It's like it was made for the E. It was too short to be a comfortable armrest so I had to raise it up somehow. I came up with these pipe stands that fit into the cup holders on the console, but didn't notice the rear holder is a slightly larger diameter than the front. A little pipe insulation stuffed around the top of the holder shores it up enough that it's stable empty, but wobbles a little loaded with brewpops. I mostly wanted it as a rest anyway, and need to remove it to fit a canoe up between the seats going to the river. The added height gives me about a halfway clean pull on the ebrake. enough to run into the post office, but on a boat ramp I still have to do the pinkie push underhand thing. Overall a nice, cheap, good looking armrest option.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hrm, I ended up with the one from ebay and I'm happy with it (love the cupholders on that one) but I have to say, this was a very good find!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts