Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: Hi E-owners. Has anyone changed their oil themsleves? I had a GMC Safari van and used to change my own oil every 3,000 mi. I could easily get under it to do this and everything was visible. Now, I'm not exactly sure when to change the oil,but that's a whole other topic, and, I can't seem to be able to get to the filter. I can barely see it from up top and it looks like you can't pull the filter without makin' a big mess. Anybody out there done it already????Please respond. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just did my first oil change on my Element day before yesterday. It wasn't too bad a job.
So that I would have more room, I ran the E up on ramps before draining the oil. The drain plug is 17 mm and came off without a hitch.
Getting to the filter is not bad. I had to run to the store to get a filter wrench for that little filter. The other ones I had were too big.
I think I ended up getting a 65 mm cup type filter wrench that fits on the end of the filter so you can use a 3/8" ratchet and unscrew it. It worked like a charm. Make sure your drain pan is under the filter when you take off the filter as it will dribble a little when you remove the filter.

Note: The manual indicates refill with 4.4 US qts when you change the filter. I did as it said and the oil on dipstick didn't even come up to the add mark. I have now added what remained of a 5 qt container into the crankcase and the dipstick shows the mark at halfway between Add and Full.

Manual indicates using 5W-20 weight oil. When I bought My E, the salesman said that Castrol is the brand they use (same as Honda brand).
I read a reveiw on oil filters recently that graded oil filterss according to components. Your average Fram filter is not good !!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
210 Posts
what brooks did sounds good..the only other thing i do different is put an old bath towel under the filter as close to engine block as i can push it. the towel will cover up the cv joints and shaft from getting oil on them. unscrew the filter and when it comes loose.. remove it quickly pointing the end that was screwed on up so as little oil as possible will spill. the towel catches the few drops i usuallly spill. you probably know where the filter is..on the left side (facing the car) down near the oil pan. right above cv shaft. if you're short you can stand on something and lean over engine looking behind it, its easy to reach. hope this makes sense, if not, sorry.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Old

1111rustbucket said:
what brooks did sounds good..the only other thing i do different is put an old bath towel under the filter as close to engine block as i can push it. the towel will cover up the cv joints and shaft from getting oil on them. unscrew the filter and when it comes loose.. remove it quickly pointing the end that was screwed on up so as little oil as possible will spill. the towel catches the few drops i usuallly spill. you probably know where the filter is..on the left side (facing the car) down near the oil pan. right above cv shaft. if you're short you can stand on something and lean over engine looking behind it, its easy to reach. hope this makes sense, if not, sorry.
Wow you found an old thread!!!:p almost 3 years old!:rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts