Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife called on Tuesday and said the brakes on her SC were making a grinding type noise while the steering wheel was shaking. It was not doing it everytime she stopped, but once was enough.

I tore into the project on Wednesday and determined that the inside pad of each was within the range of replacement even though they still had a little pad left on the surface.

I turned the rotors in my hands and noticed that they were scraping against the inside mating surface because of the rust build-up. So, I decided to swap them out to.

Yesterday, I stopped by the parts counter at the dealership and picked up a front brake pad kit, two front rotors, and two of the screws holding the rotors on for ~$235. I know I could have saved some bucks ordering from HandA or going to NAPA, but time was not on my side and I liked the extra items that come with the OEM brake kit and the fact that OEM rotors were painted on the surfaces subjected to rusting.

The biggest problem I had was removing the screws holding the rotors on, but that was before I checked the forum to determine that I needed to use my 1/4" impact to remove them. They literally came right off when I used it. Once I had them off, I cleaned up the surfaces with brake parts cleaner and painted the shield and a few other areas with black rustoleum paint.

After I had everything put back together, I spun the wheels and it was oh so quiet. The road test went without a hitch, but the true test will come after the high-captain takes it out today. Hopefully, the only thing I will have to do tonight is retorque the lugs.

-Wardster

·
Registered
873 Posts
how were the wheel bearings?if the rust build up was scraping somewhere than somethen was moving/flexing/to much play to let it scrape,witch is usualy the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how were the wheel bearings?if the rust build up was scraping somewhere than somethen was moving/flexing/to much play to let it scrape,witch is usualy the wheel bearings.
The rust I am talking about was coming from the outside, vented edge of the rotor. The back of the rotor was rusted where it came into contact with the hub as well. Both of these surfaces on the new OEM rotors were painted with a heavy gloss black paint. Once I got the old rotors off, I was able to remove all the loose rust, brake dust, road grime, etc., that was built up behind it. I decided to clean/paint those surfaces before I installed the new rotor because I wanted both surfaces to be good.

Like I said in my original post, the grinding noise was gone after I swapped the rotors and replaced the brakes, so I am optomistic that the problem is solved. :)

Wheel bearings seemed fine and there was no sign of movement in the wheel.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The biggest problem I had was removing the screws holding the rotors on, but that was before I checked the forum to determine that I needed to use my 1/4" impact to remove them. They literally came right off when I used it.

-Wardster

My bud and I broke two impact bits trying to get those two screws off the rotors on one of the discs. The rest came off OK with some good pounding.

*yes, they were cheap bits...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Did you grease the caliper guide pins when you did it? If you did not, Do It!!! Your brakes will wear a lot more evenly and last!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts