Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4WD E had 4 new tyres 2 years ago. Now, 27k later, it seems to be time to change them again :mad:. The front ones wore out much quicker ... Should I have done the tyre rotation thing :confused: ?

The local tyre-shop advises to change all 4 tyres eventhough the back ones still have a lot of thread left. Is this profit-motivated or is the 4WD reason valid? Other than that, E's are few and far between in Europe.

Can anyone advise whether it's viable to change only the front ones, and if I do so, should the new tyres go at the front or back?

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rotate those tires, frenchy!

For being a smaller SUV, the element weighs in at nearly 4000 lbs, or 1815 kg, friend.

Tires should absolutely be rotated every 5000-7000 miles. It will keep the trend wearing evenly and prolong the life of all 4 tires.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Go with two!

Sorry, I didn't answer your question.

If you have two tires with good tread left on them, just purchase two discount tires. Es have big tires, so you could spend all your francs if you aren't careful.

Rotate the new tires to the back and put your older tires on the back, then rotate every 5000k miles.

I kept my wife's two best leftover tires and have them in my garage.

Too bad you live half way around the world!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just the answer I wanted!

That's great news, thanks :).

Just to clarify then, should I rotate the 2 semi-used back tyres to the front and put the 2 new ones at the back? Or, just put the 2 newbies at the front?

By the way, I ain't a frenchy :D ... I'm Malaysian Chinese :rolleyes: ...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry, I didn't answer your question.

If you have two tires with good tread left on them, just purchase two discount tires. Es have big tires, so you could spend all your francs if you aren't careful.

Rotate the new tires to the back and put your older tires on the back, then rotate every 5000k miles.

I kept my wife's two best leftover tires and have them in my garage.

Too bad you live half way around the world!
You are saying to put all the tires on the back. How is this possible? You said rotate the new tires to the back and put your older tires on the back.
What did you really mean to say?:D

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If the other 2 tyres are in good shape put them on the back and the new ones on the front but before anything make sure they are the same hight as in after one is mounted and inflated put it next to one of the old ones and make sure they are close to the same hight. If not you will work the differential clutches. At that point get 2 more of the same.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
As S-dog said, alway put the best tires on a front wheel drive vehicle on the front. You always want the best tread on your "drive" wheels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whoops!

My bad, e owners!

I've never seen a dually Element before, so don't try to put all 4 tires on the back.

New tires up front, old tires in back, then rotate every 5k -7k miles.

Check that cold tire PSI occasionally too!

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you didn't rotate your tires in 27k, then of course the fronts are worn out. Please see page 252 of your owner's manual.

All Elements are front-wheel-drive. The rear wheels in a 4WD model only kick in for seconds at a time, and rarely at that.
Ooops!!! Got caught out for not reading my manual :-o

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just noticed you're from Saratoga, NY, Ramblerdan ... I was there 10 years ago and have very fond memories :)!

From reading my manual, the recommended tyre size is P215/70R 16 99S. Mine are currently P215/65R 16 and I'll be getting 2 identical newbies. I don't imagine that the 5R difference counts for a lot, but would anyone care to comment?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts