Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey;

A couple of questions. I just found out both my rear shocks are leaking, so I bought two new Monroe gasmatic shocks to replace them.

Here's my plan;

-Put the rear end up on stands
-Slowly compress the coil springs with a compression tool until the pressure is relieved
-Undo the bolts on the shock from under the cap in the wheel well and at the base of the shock
-Swap them out
-Release the tension
-Drive away

Anyone else do this? Tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
do us and you a favor and fill out the year and model you have so we can give you the best advise for future questions that might need it.

i would take the 2 nuts on the top (behind the cover inside) off and the one holding the bottom first. with the spring compressors on the assembly you will have a hard time getting the assembly by the tank and all the associated goodies on the left side. without them you can wiggle the whole thing by that stuff, then put your spring compressors on there and swap the strut. the right side is easier as it doesnt have all that tank junk in the way. i thnk you may have to remove the 2 bolts that hold the control arm to the unibody in the front of each side also if i remember from doing mine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
generally you want to remove the whole strut assembly before compressing the spring and swapping it out. It will make your life easier that way. I've not done it on the element, but every car I've ever changed struts on this is how it worked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Epic Fail;

That bottom bolt isn't coming out on either side. I had a 4 foot torque wrench and couldn't budge it. Heat, liquid wrench, coke zero...nothing.

I got a few quotes at an hour a side, but I bet I get dinged for the seized bolt. One guy said that most of the time they have to replace the whole control arm it's so seized up, and because it fuses to the bushing there's no cutting it out.

I guess I'll replace the mounts while I'm at it. This is going to get expensive. Monroe absorbers were $230 CAD all in with tax for the pair, the replacement mounts will be about $15 a pop, and probably $250 in labor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Watching them take that off with a proper impact wrench was heartbreaking. Sooooo easy.

For those of you having rear suspension problems and wondering about costs, one guy had told me to expect to have to swap out the entire control arm on each side if it was seized up bad enough. You can't cut them out apparently.

For me;

Replacement struts (Monroe gas-matics) $109 each at Partsource
Labor - 1 hour per side ($80/per)

I had a new rear mount kit set aside as well, but the old ones were fine. If the rubber bushings on the mounts are worn (which can cause that knocking sound), the kits are $15 a side.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll get 'em next time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah, and the spring compressor tool is free to borrow at Partsource or Canadian Tire, but they're more often than not signed out and you have to bring it back within 3 days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts