Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm nearing my oil and transmission oil change time. 100k miles to be exact. Yeah, I waited a bit long for the Transmission. Anywho, since I live in an apartment without garage, and dont have the jack stands, What are you thoughts of just driving the car up to the curb to elevate it? Can oil be changed without the stands? I've changed the oil couple months ago but had my friends ramp for use. He has since moved :mad:

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Iol change

To be honest the element isn't hard to change the oil with out a curb if you can fit under your stock element (fatties need not try this trick, I work for a fire department and I am fine with America being fat... you just cant expect to fit yourself everywhere)... if you want you can put the front two wheels on the curb to give yourself the most even (yet slanted surface to drain the oil)... you can reach the oil filter best through the passenger side front wheel well anyways. that would work out fine...

As for changing the transmission fluid I don't do that I take mine to a trained professional for that sort of thing. :D Have a good one and searc h the threads for maintenance tips there are a ton on here!

Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But isnt transmission oil a straight forward change as shown in other DIY threads? Unscrew, drain, screw in, and use a funnel type fixture to pour in new AT fluid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Transmission fluid change

Looking at the DIY threads it does appear to be just that easy! but because I hardly know my way around an engine and I want not only the fluid to be replaced but someone to look over my transmission I take it to a local shop near me. if your just looking to replace fluid that shouldnt be too hard from what I see.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
if you are just replacing the tranny fluid, then ya, it's that easy....but there is also an inline transmission fluid filter that needs to be changed as well...
I took it to the pros, and they ordered the filter from the dealer...local dealer didn't have any in stock either...turns out they never change them either....finally found one at the 3rd dealership they called

So much for taking it to the dealer for service....Mr Transmission does all my fluid changes now...lol

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
Ramps are the best, but a 5-6" curb works just fine, either with one side up or one end up.

All it takes to get one end up is a 4x4x6 and a 2x4x6. Put them side by side next to the curb and they'll work as a mini-ramp, protecting the tires.

A jackrabbit pump can reduce the time and mess of changing the trans fluid or oil.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Oil is a little harder then the tranny, I just did my tranny last week without any ramps, you have plenty of room and the drain plug is up front. Do get a new crush sleeve( washer) and use only the honda tranny fluid! very important, and I am not one to follow brands but there is something they add, I confirmed with a trusted tranny shop and they only use Honda fluid also. It takes about 10 minutes for a single fill, there is a recommend procedure to drain and fill 3 times if you want. Some people change the filter, the shop indicated that only do it on replacements as per any manufacturer would recommend. They must be fairly coarse...

You can also do the differential service on the ground also if you have 4wd. Both instances I used a 6" high pan to catch the oil. In either case all you need is a 3/8 drive socket, reinstall firm but not nuts, corrosion over time will make it tighter along with all the heating and cooling cycles. I believe its 33 ft-lbs if you want to use torque wrench, just don't strip the housings.

Chris

·
Registered
143 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fill bolt for the transmission is positioned with the intent that the car is level when you fill it. If you have the car at an angle when you fill, you might put too much or too little fluid in it.

For an oil change, yeah, since you can always just add more once its level again and check it.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fill bolt for the transmission is positioned with the intent that the car is level when you fill it. If you have the car at an angle when you fill, you might put too much or too little fluid in it.

For an oil change, yeah, since you can always just add more once its level again and check it.
No, you are not wrong but the posters above are talking about an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
174 Posts

You are correct, in the case of being on any angle I would 3/4 the spec and level the vehicle out, then finish filling. The only exception to that would be the rear diff were you have to do it on level ground.

chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts