Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
i have the archos 20g recorder and am quite happy with it. quite a few people on this site recommended going with a 3rd party firmware upgrade (rockbox), but i was not impressed with that and thought that the original firmware produced a better sound.

·
Registered
211 Posts
mborkow , you might have done something wrong. The RockBox firmware sounds much better than stock firmware, but you have to understand how it works. There are many more sound settings that need to be set up than with the stock firmware. RockBox adds many ways to tweak the sound and I suspect you left them at default settings.

It also adds about 3 hours onto my battery life.

·
Registered
261 Posts
> you might have done something wrong.
always possible
> sounds much better than stock firmware
i do not agree
> you have to understand how it works.
i do
> There are many more sound settings
true
> I suspect you left them at default settings.
false

·
Registered
211 Posts
mborkow...you are definately in the minority on RockBox, but everyone has their own tastes.

The nice thing about Archos is you CAN change the firmware if something is not to your liking.
Good Luck
...Pook

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm tempted to get this thing, but I'm wondering if anyone does anything active with it or do they just have it for the car. I'd like to get an mp3 player i can snowboard with so it needs to take some abuse as i fall a lot! any feedback or additional suggestions would be well appreciated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wear my Archos pretty much 7 days a week for 10 hrs a day. I have it in the Protective belt pack all the time though and do not fall often. I don't know if I would really suggest you buying a HardDrive based player if It will be subjected to large Shocks.
Just like any ordinary HardDrive, You should not Jar it hard as you may damage the disc. ( and incedentally that is exactly what it is. If you want to upgrade the 20 GB MP3 Archos to a 100 GB model,you just pop in new Notebook HardDrive).

Perhaps an armband Memory based model would be best. I am sure you could fit 3 hrs of quality music on it for not much money.You might also look into an MP3 CD player also. At least on that one you could fit 100 songs on one CD, but I find I don't use mine much anymore coz I can't stand lugging around all those discs when I can fit my whole 4563 song music library on something the size of a pack of playing cards.

I kinda feel funny telling you to spend $200 dollars on a memory based model that only plays 3-5 hours of music when for the same money you could buy an Archos 20GB model that will hold 6000 songs and play for days straight.

It might be a safer purchase though considering all the tumbles with your athletic lifestyle.
Whatever you decide, make sure it is USB2 or Firewire (faster music transfer protocals) capable because with the limited storage these offer, you don't want to spend a lot of time during the transfer of new songs to it.

...pookSter

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was just rereading your original post and you were looking at the 10 GB Archos. The same would apply to that one as I stated in the above message. It is however only $100 and might be a viable option if you don't mind taking the risk of damaging it. I would just make sure there is lots of foam surronding it in whatever you are going to carry it in.
If you do damage it because of shock, you could just pop in a new 10 or 20 GB notebook drive to fix it and upgrade it at the same time. You don't get much for $100 but the 5, 10, 15, 20 GB models are all the same. The recorder model is one of the newer ones. You can also use the free RockBox firmware to upgrade it to today's features.
http://rockbox.haxx.se/docs/features.html

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'm sure I can help you.

...pookSter

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the great info pookster. I have another question - I would like to download book readings in mp3 form and listen to those. If I am in the middle of a 12 hour mp3 and I shut it off, is it easy to pick up where I left off or is it like a tape that I need to fast forward through? thanks a lot.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, buddkun, you can shut off the player and the next time you power it up it will ask you if you want to resume where you left off. I use this feature a lot as I listen to talk radio and often shut it off in the middle of the show.

I beleive you need to have the RockBox firmware though because I don't think that the stock Archos firmware offers this feature. I could be wrong because I really only used the stock firmware for a day before I realized the many benifits of RockBox.

I also know after reading some of the RockBox updates that they now have unofficially implemented BookMarks for use with talking books. I have not used it yet though. There are so many features now its hard to keep track of em all. I know the last firmware release the even encluded a Karaoke feature that strips the vocals out of the music during playback...something I will never use :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am also tempted to get this Archos model since the price is certainly a good deal. I have been researching MP3 players and have visited some websites with evaluations of different players. The Archos really gets very mixed reviews. Some people love them while others put them in the "junk" category. Everyone seems to complain about the firmware and the almost total lack of support by Archos. Can anyone here really enlighten us on the quality of this product, including hardware, software and technical support. Also, how is the documentation? Is there any?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
What you read is probably accurate.

Hardware=Great. Its a wonderful little box, durable, good sounding and 10 hours of playtime. I have used mine everyday for 8 months now with no problems. I do keep it in it's protective pouch and have never dropped it.
The quality is top notch.

Stock Firmware=Junk. You are right on this one. I had my player for a day before I changed to the free RockBox Firmware which offers many more features and upgraded standard features. (you just copy the new firmware over to the HD...simple)

TechSupport=well, I have heard you have to wait a long time to get an email back to the company.Its best to call them. I would probably not talk to the company unless I needed a part. There is such a large user base of this player, I would get support from the Users first. Everyone that owns one is more than eagar to solve any problems, and RockBox seems to fix them before Archos does.

Software=Great, although if you didn't like it for some reason, just use one you do. The Archos is seen to the computer is an extra HardDrive so anything will work.

Do a search in this forum if you want further details on this player. There are many posts on this particular MP3 Player.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I've come up with the perfect solution for me. I bought this player for the E and I got a cheap lyra player with memory cards for snowboarding (only $35)! Excellent! Thanks for the help pookster. Now all I need is some snow!

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thats Great! I think thats the most logical decision for snowboarding. If it were me, I would have trashed the HardDrive on the first run :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
pookSter: Thanks for that summary. I am going to order the Archos since it seems that most folks think the hardware is good (not everyone). I just hope I get one that works because there are some horror stories of people who have tried to get tech support.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yep, heard all the slow tech support stories and it was one of the reasons that I was uneasy about ordering one. After going to the Rockbox site, it eased my mind a bit. There are also Archos exchange programs on the web I found that after the warranty period is up you can use to renew your unit for a reasonable fee if you don't want to deal with Archos. I am however very glad I made the decision. Most of my friends have ordered one as well and all are happy.

I bought mine on a credit card that offers a one year extended warranty free, and also dealt with a vendor that is very service orientated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yesterday, Amazon had the 10GB Archos jukebox for $149 with $50 rebate and free shipping. This afternoon when I tried to order, the rebate and free shipping were no longer mentioned with the price still $149. Then when I checked back this evening, the price had been raised to $199 with no mention of rebate or free shipping. That is an effective price increase of 100% plus shipping and all in less than 24 hours. Amazing. I guess I should learn to move quicker when there is a bargain around. If anyone finds this (or any other) unit at a bargain price, please give us a post.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Heman.
Archos has a lot of products that are similar. The $199 price sounds like the multimedia player. This player also handles video and adds the ability with and extra adapter ($$) to download compact flash cards used with digital cameras.
I have had the 20GB Multimedia player for a month and like it a lot. The rockbox firmware is not designed for the Multimedia players so you are stuck with the archos firmware.
The Archos Multimedia version is good, but does suffer from glitches time to time. For me it was the only option that covered everything I was looking for: large hard drive (20GB), decent battery (5-8hours), ability to download images from compact flash and a MP3 player. If you can handle minor imperfections I would go with the Archos. If you only need solid MP3 performance and are willing to pay for it go with an IPOD.

·
Registered
211 Posts
E-Devil...
I might buy one like you have just to handle the video/audio in the E. I went camping with the notebook, and it was ok to watch a movie on, but its really too much of a hastle to use it all the time. I would like to get one of those multimedia ones to output to a 7 inch lcd roof mounted fold up tv. I think the new 4 inch lcd archos ones are nice, but a little overkill if you are just using the video output and not the 4 inch built in screen.

What do you think E-devil? Do you think it's a good buy?
You can probably fit about 16 good quality mpeg 4 movies on it right?
I would have probably bought one in the first place if it handled rockbox.

·
Registered
23 Posts
PookSter-
I don't use my Archos Multimedia Jukebox much for video. So I don't think I can give you an honest answer. I can't imagine watching too long a video on the tiny screen. You might want to check out some of the user groups on Yahoo. Search under Archos. You do need to convert the videos with codecs that you can get off the web. So you should be comfortable with experimenting with your PC or Mac. But if you sought out Rockbox you should be fine.
I use the Archos for MP3's, offloading my images from compact flash and an external portable hard drive. As you know there really isn't another option out there that does all of this. And the kicker is it is less than some players that play just MP3's. It's not always the easiest thing to work with, but neither am I :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts