Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my oem sunroof cover to a fellow EOC member, because it wasn't what I thought it was and I didn't want to attach it to the roof liner.

I was going to try to make one based upon info from other threads here, but I just happened to find a rear window shade with the suction cups already attached at BigLots and it fits almost perfectly (see pics). Best thing is it was only a few bucks (I love that store!)- I spent less than purchasing the materials and making it myself and save me precious time I don't have with 2 toddlers!

It is made by Axius and is the auto expressions SunCutters Rear Window Shade part #40504. It folds into a circle and you can easily store it in the side pockets when you need it.

I just used it on a trip to the beach and it was perfect for cutting down on the sun and heat for the kids. They were happy because they could still see out of it during travelling. I used it both with the sunroof open and closed and it never fell off- we even had really strong winds while we were at the beach and it stayed on.

I bought a few more extra; if you can't find them in your local store I may be willing to let go of a few or possibly search for more in my area.

~T

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
we just had a baby in march and we were having the same problem with sunlight on the baby seat. i took the E to a local window tinting place and they put on their darkest limo tint for 30$. supposedly blocks 99% of the UV rays.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
we just had a baby in march and we were having the same problem with sunlight on the baby seat. i took the E to a local window tinting place and they put on their darkest limo tint for 30$. supposedly blocks 99% of the UV rays.

... and with that being said, I will now begin collecting bets on how long before your sunroof explodes.

On a more serious note though, I've had every tint/vinyl shop in the St. Louis Metro area turn down my Element from having the sunroof tinted or vinyl'ed over because of the reduced ability of the glass to expand and contract. The tint/vinyl causes stress and eventually breaks (being that it's safety glass, it will shatter).

... or so I've been told.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We actually had the tint done on our 1st E when we had a new baby and while it worked better on the glare, it still didn't cut out as much heat as I anticipated. Anyone with little ones knows how quickly they heat up!

Had I known the safety issues mentioned in the previous log, I would have never done that- I was trying to protect my child, not have the sunroof shatter in a million pieces on him!

I've heard some amazing things about the other shade mentioned in this thread; I just didn't want full blockage, although I'm sure it would be great for those camping and sleeping in their E. I personally needed something that my kids could still see through when travelling (planes, clouds, etc)- any little thing helps to keep them occupied!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I had my '06 done with huper optik metallic tint....greatly reduced the heat and still let light thru. With the sun directly overhead more heat came thru the side windows then the one the sun was shining directly on above. It was about 100 bucks...need to get my new one done but I missed all the spring sales :rolleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am not doubting the issues stated the expansion and contraction. But had the sunroof on my 91 Explorer tinted. Had it for over 4 years with no problems. I am on the fence right now to tint or just put a shade for the sunroof.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
... and with that being said, I will now begin collecting bets on how long before your sunroof explodes.

On a more serious note though, I've had every tint/vinyl shop in the St. Louis Metro area turn down my Element from having the sunroof tinted or vinyl'ed over because of the reduced ability of the glass to expand and contract. The tint/vinyl causes stress and eventually breaks (being that it's safety glass, it will shatter).

I've never heard that,and seriously doubt that would ever happpen.:?Tint/vinyl doesn't put stress on the glass,nor does it reduce it's ability to expand or contract enough to cause it to actually break.
I actually personally tinted my sunroof almost a year ago with 2.5 % extreme limo tint,and have yet to have any problems.:cool:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Anybody that's ever had a tinted window broken knows that YES it's safety glass and fractures into hundreds of pieces by design, BUT the tint tends to hold it all together. The image of a shower of glass raining down on a kid is more than a bit over the top.

BTW, I had 3 different tint shops look at me like I was crazy when I asked about it cracking a sunroof. All had been in business well over a decade and it gets up over 100 every single summer here.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts

That's a myth.
In my 14 years of driving vehicles with tinted sunroofs, I have yet to have one explode/implode, crack, shatter, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Axis product works!

"I was going to try to make one based upon info from other threads here, but I just happened to find a rear window shade with the suction cups already attached at BigLots and it fits almost perfectly (see pics). Best thing is it was only a few bucks (I love that store!)- I spent less than purchasing the materials and making it myself and save me precious time I don't have with 2 toddlers!"~Pope*Mobile

This works perfectly! A few weeks ago, I began brainstorming a DIY sunroof cover, then basically got tired of the project and went to Wal-Mart. I found the same exact Axius product that Pope*Mobile used for only $5 (as of February 2009).

What's so great about a cheap-o kiddie window cover?

The suction cups don't have to be stuck to the sunroof for the shade to stay in place! Simply wedge the shade in (the long sides, of course, and not short round sides) and voila! Instant cheap shading--and here in Texas, that's important.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I purchased my 08 element last weekend and the first thing I did was have the sunroof tinted. I live in Portland where it is cloudy for half of the year, but with a dog who will be a regular passenger in the back, I wanted to prepare for the summers.

Price: $35.

As for sunroofs cracking, you will notice that despite the warnings or "I heard of a guy" stories, loads of people on this site have tinted their sunroof and not a single one has cracked. In theory, cracking makes sense, but in practice it doesn't ring true.

I studied the tint manufacturer's specs before selecting the level of tint for my sunroof and wanted to point out a couple of things.

#1 With a quality tint, the darkness has NO impact on UV filtering. All tint %'s (from the lightest to the darkest eg. 50% to 5%) provide 99% UV protection.

#2 The tint % DOES impact solar heat reduction. If you look at the figures for Global Window Film, their 5% tint reduces solar heat by twice the rate of their 50% tint. Some posts on this site have confidently claimed otherwise, but the specifications spell this out, and the tint installer said this proves to be true in the reality.

Personally, I went with 20% tint on the sunroof, as I didn't want to block as much light as the 5% does... but the 20% still offers very respectable heat reduction and (as mentioned) 99% UV protection. I keep one of the Axius sunshades (mentioned in this thread) stored in the back, to throw up there on the extra hot days.

While I was at the tint shop, I impulsively decided to tint my front windows at 50%. After a brief moment of regret, I'm now very glad I did. We had a sunny day on Friday and it was much more comfortable having the bite taken out of the sun as it hit the driver side window.

After a snowy trip to the mountains yesterday, I found that it also strangely feels more cozy in the car on winter days, as I feel more contained or shielded from the elements (no pun intended), but my visibility is still great. Hard to explain that one. Maybe I'm nuts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My 06 has been through three Colorado summers and hasn't cracked or shattered. The summer heat and sun is intense here.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I had quality glass tinting in west co. tint it with huper optic.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Saw this thread was revisited. After doing some additional research I still had my sunroof tinted to the darkest possible in my current E. Seems to be fine during the fall and winter months, but it still doesn't completely prevent the vehicle interior from heating up quickly now that we are in the 80s and 90s.

My kids' red cheeks after being in the E for a short time remind me it's time to pull out the visor again . . .

·
Registered
169 Posts
Quick question. Does the inside of the E's sunroof have that black polka-dot pattern stuff on it, or is it just solid glass? I'm considering tinting the sunroofs on my Izzy, but these have those polka-dot spots on them, so it's not a flat surface (like a window), so I'm not sure how well it will work.

You can kinda see it in this pic, so you know what I mean. This is the front sunroof, but the back is the same.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Originally I made a reflective interior cover for sunroof, but I had to keep it installed too often for my taste and I missed the cabin light the sunroof provides
So I had it tinted...
I have now had my sunroof tinted the darkest possible option for 3? years now without a problem..
I have never heard of anyone loosing a sunroof to the "Tint Implosion" yet:cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts