Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I need your assistance. Earlier this evening I drove my 2007 Honda Element and the Check Engine Light came on. I went to fill up the car with gas and it then went off. Im kind of nervous about it b/c I am driving from NYC to Burlington Vermont in the early A.M. Do you think the car is safe to drive 6 hours? Is this a common occurance w/ the Element if you get too low on gas? I've never seen this happen before.

Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It should be safe but get it in when you get a chance and get the code read to find out what it is. If its still under warranty take it to the dealorship. It could be as simple as a loose gascap.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Um... I might be silly for asking this but what shape is your check engine light? If it's that round yellow light at the bottom of the gas gauge, that's your "it's time to buy gas or learn to push" light.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It should be safe but get it in when you get a chance and get the code read to find out what it is. If its still under warranty take it to the dealorship. It could be as simple as a loose gascap.
I'll "second" Slimerdogs advise. If you can't make it to a dealer to have them read the error code, Autozone can also do that....at no charge. They've done that for me on a number of occasions, even when I didn't buy anything. Since your going on a trip, it's better to be safe than sorry! Take care!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Talk about lack of gauges.....
Here is a picture of my insight, I am not sure if I dis like it or not. Its got a litte of everything in it. The only thing I wish it had was a temp gauge.
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Good grief! I had to keep staring at it over and over before I finally figured out where the speedometer was.

"In case of a non warranty problem, a small panel over your head will open and an estimate attached to an oxygen mask will drop down. Place the mask over your nose and mouth and then read the cost on the bottom line. Breath deeply."

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
I don't believe OP knows that forums don't typically provide real time responses. He posted at 930 PM and was leaving on a trip the next AM, probably won't get back until after the holiday.

I'm surprised he got any response within 4 hours on a late Thursday night. Maybe next time he'll try PMing someone on line - if he knows how.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Now that cluster looks like a glass airplane panel. Where is the artificial horizon? :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
howdy all. I got up to Burlington and back w/o any problems. In the beginning of the trip I kept on checking to see if the check engine light would come on (i know the difference between the check engine light and the low on gas light, thanks) and it didnt. Could have been a loose gas cap either though it was on their pretty tight when i filled up before I left, maybe some kind of mechanism tripped the check engine when my gas tank was about 1/2 gallon from being empty. Anyways after about 13 hours of driving this weekend I did not have any problems. Thanks for all your responses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts