Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
My check engine light is on; 110k miles......could it be o2 sensor? To the best of my knowledge it's never been replaced.

Thanks!
Could be...

Also could be a loose gas cap or an evap system fault or a vtec fault or a VTC fault or or an IAT fault or an ECT fault or a TPS fault or a camshaft phase error fault or a transmission fault or it could be.....

Hey, here's a wild idea!

Instead of guessing at what it could be, how about getting the code read?

Wouldn't that almost make sense?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be...

Also could be a loose gas cap or an evap system fault or a vtec fault or a VTC fault or or an IAT fault or an ECT fault or a TPS fault or a camshaft phase error fault or a transmission fault or it could be.....

Hey, here's a wild idea!

Instead of guessing at what it could be, how about getting the code read?

Wouldn't that almost make sense?
Nope, not the gas cap.
I've owned 5 Hondas and each time the check engine light has come on it's been the o2 sensor.
Around here shops want $75-$90 to plug in and determine the fault code......they're real fair though...they'll apply that towards the repair job if you have them replace the $40 sensor that takes 2 minutes for about $150

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've owned 5 Hondas and each time the check engine light has come on it's been the o2 sensor.
OK, so replace the O2 sensor.

It's your money, do what you want.

Any idea which sensor you are going to try and change first?

or

Get the code read so you aren't just guessing.

No law says you have to go to a dealership. If the local parts store won't read the code for free, AAMCO has been advertising free check engine light diagnosis. Automotive trade schools or local High School shop programs will often jump at the chance to allow their students to look at a real world problem at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Or, just change the O2 sensor.

After all, you've had personal experience with 5 different Hondas needing O2 sensors.

With empirical evidence like that, how can you possibly go wrong?

My experience with thousands of vehicles differs somewhat from your pool of 5, but I have nothing at stake here - like I said, it's your money, so go for it.

You will probably end up fixing your vehicle on a guess, and you can come back on here and post what a big dummy Honda Tech is for suggesting a diagnosis over a best guess. I'll be soooo embarassed! :oops:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
or you could buy a code reader with the $90 the shop wants to charge you. ;-)
^^^THIS^^^ Because having your own basic code scanner is just one of those tools that somebody should have if they do any basic maintenance/repairs on their own vehicles. Plus it can save you hundreds of dollars in unnecessary shop visits.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Hey if you wait around for next Thursday I have a reader and will be down there getting some stuff at the airport and could check your code instead of guessing or you can go to Craigens or Auto zone and you can get it read for free and also Aamco does the same thing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey if you wait around for next Thursday I have a reader and will be down there getting some stuff at the airport and could check your code instead of guessing or you can go to Craigens or Auto zone and you can get it read for free and also Aamco does the same thing.
Hey thanks Slimer...i might have to take you up on that. Ill keep in touch and let you know.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts