Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been addressed many times before, because I just finished reading those that came up in search, but my 'CHECK FUEL CAP' message doesn't want to go away despite trying everything mentioned in these forums!

What could be causing this? I have an '05 manual trans with 65,000 miles, and I've been using the HandA fuel cap since '06 with no issues, and I've drive cycled both OEM and HandA fuel caps to no avail. I've 4-clicked religiously after fill-ups, seals on caps are perfect, as is the inlet to the fuel tank.

I'm about to make a 1700 mile trip this weekend, and I'm hoping this isn't going to be a reliability issue as I travel.

Any help is appreciated!

Doug

·
Chief Has Been Element Owner
4,759 Posts
Go get the codes run at Pep Boys or the like to make sure its not something else causing the warning.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have had that happen before. I now tighten as tight as I can get. Dont pay attention to the clicks, just tighten it. I grab the cap on the side and give it a good turn.

John

I know this has been addressed many times before, because I just finished reading those that came up in search, but my 'CHECK FUEL CAP' message doesn't want to go away despite trying everything mentioned in these forums!

What could be causing this? I have an '05 manual trans with 65,000 miles, and I've been using the HandA fuel cap since '06 with no issues, and I've drive cycled both OEM and HandA fuel caps to no avail. I've 4-clicked religiously after fill-ups, seals on caps are perfect, as is the inlet to the fuel tank.

I'm about to make a 1700 mile trip this weekend, and I'm hoping this isn't going to be a reliability issue as I travel.

Any help is appreciated!

Doug

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go get the codes run at Pep Boys or the like to make sure its not something else causing the warning.
Just had NAPA do the OBD diagnostic check, and got P-0456, which is Emissions System (small leak) constistent with a leaking fuel system. I guess the next step will be the local service center to check for where it's leaking. I don't believe it's the cap unless both OEM and HandA locking caps leak:twisted:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE:

The 'CHECK FUEL CAP' message is gone:-D from the odometer since I 'reset' the ECU by briefly pulling the ECU fuse. This was suggested by Rymo426 in a post from April 2006 regarding a similar problem. In the post, he said that if that doesn't make the message go away, then you've still got a leak (cap, or otherwise). Somehow I had missed that thread in my searches.

I'll be sure to post if the message comes back. Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts