Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's a few months back I removed my rear wiper and installed an infrared wide angle reverse camera in it's place.The camera I purchased was from Ebay and it fit perfectly inside the glass opening.

Here's the actual camera I bought.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CCD-INFRARED-KEYHOLE-WIDE-ANGLE-REAR-VIEW-BACKUP-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ260354797987QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3c9e5af1a3&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of my install process. Anyway it wasn't very difficult,I just mounted the camera in the hole left in the glass,ran the ground wire from the camera to an area behind the hatch,ran the 12volt power wire and (rca style) video feed wire through the grommet at the left top corner of the hatch.Then removed the side panel pieces and ran my wiring up to my JVC KW-AVX810 Multimedia receiver.The camera comes on when in reverse,but I wanted the option of turning it on at other times too,so I installed a hidden round on/off rocker switch.For the switch to work as I wanted,I had to use a diode as to not backfeed into the switch and trigger my reverse lights,when the camera was on while not in reverse.

Ok enough of that,here's some pics.

^^Camera was on in almost total darkness.

The switch can barely be seen unless I were to point it out.

Thanks for looking. :)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
That's cool!

Up in the Northeast, we can't do without the wiper. When it's snowing heavy we need it to clear the snow, if nothing else.

Dom

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just a thought.

For those of us that would like or need to keep our rear wiper it looks to me that the Lock cylinder hole is nearly the same size. Sure it would be offset from the middle a little bit, but?

I'm just sayin';-)

Honestly I rarely if ever use my key to unlock my E. 99.9% of the time I use the remote.

BTW that looks awesome!!!!!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those of us that would like or need to keep our rear wiper it looks to me that the Lock cylinder hole is nearly the same size. Sure it would be offset from the middle a little bit, but?

I'm just sayin';-)

Honestly I rarely if ever use my key to unlock my E. 99.9% of the time I use the remote.

BTW that looks awesome!!!!!
Thank You. :)

I don't think this actual camera would fit in that location,but I'm sure there are other cameras that will.:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
That is VERY cool!!!!! WOW!!
Did you put a bead of silicone around it and the window?? For leaks?

Here in CALI, I have used my rear wiper, but only because it was there.

That is an awesome install.

To bad I dont have a video screen. :(

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is VERY cool!!!!! WOW!!
Did you put a bead of silicone around it and the window?? For leaks?

Here in CALI, I have used my rear wiper, but only because it was there.

That is an awesome install.

To bad I dont have a video screen. :(
Thanks!

It has an O ring behind the front of the bezel to prevent leaks,but yes...I did add a bead of silicone around the backside of the camera. :cool:

·
Registered
669 Posts
That's a top 5 mod EASY. Congrats on a great idea, and clean install!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
that is a great idea, too bad like dom.five stated, living in the NE especially where I live, the lake effect snow belt east of cleveland, I need the use of my rear wiper. 5 stars for you though!

·
Registered
320 Posts
nice! i did the same thing 4 years ago lol, but w/ mine, it points a little high. so the only thing i can see is mostly the sky or the top of peoples cars. i rather it point more to the ground so i can see if i'm gonna bump into another car. Did you seal it? mine leaks a little water only when i wash my E

if anyone is interested i have an extra camera bnib sitting around

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice! i did the same thing 4 years ago lol, but w/ mine, it points a little high. so the only thing i can see is mostly the sky or the top of peoples cars. i rather it point more to the ground so i can see if i'm gonna bump into another car. Did you seal it? mine leaks a little water only when i wash my E

if anyone is interested i have an extra camera bnib sitting around
Thanks. :) My camera doesn't point high at all,but I would of liked it to point down just a tad more. The camera came with angle rings,but since the threads on the outside of the camera just fit inside the hole in the glass,I couldn't tilt the camera down with the angle rings. It does have an O-ring behind the bezel that seals against the glass and the camera,but just to be sure I wouldn't have any leaks,I sealed the backside with silicone.:cool:

·
Registered
320 Posts
nice! ya mine came w/ the angled rings too, but the camera fits so snug that there was no point haha. yeah i mean its not pointing that high. like when a car is behind me, i can see the hood and their windshield. but yeah like i said i rather it point towards someones bumper so it would be easier to park in a tight spot.

i might replace mine w/ one of the license plate style camera. but money is tight so we'll see

·
Registered
6 Posts
awsome! If you have a camera in the rear why would you need a wiper? (sceen will have better view then window anyway) We get snow in michigan but I have never used the wiper.(mostly afraid it will tear off my vinal but also never needed it)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just picked up a "wireless remote system" this past weekend. It was a mere $50 at a local vendor commons. It came with a 2.5" color monitor. The camera mounts on licence plate. While the night time picture is no where near the quality of one w/ IR, it does the job. Day time is fine, night w/ back up lights just o.k.
The camera has no way to angle it down which bites...It came w/ 4 wedges to help angle it but they really don't help much. I wedged some rolled up baleck tape at top and got it that I can pick up 1 foot shy of the bumper.
I don't have any problem w/backing but I always fear of some toddler getting behind me in some parking lot and me not seeeing them. So when I saw this camera I had to get it. I also for the heck of it have it wired into the aux port in the back and its on all the time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts