Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's a few months back I removed my rear wiper and installed an infrared wide angle reverse camera in it's place.The camera I purchased was from Ebay and it fit perfectly inside the glass opening.

Here's the actual camera I bought.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CCD-INFRARED-KEYHOLE-WIDE-ANGLE-REAR-VIEW-BACKUP-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ260354797987QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3c9e5af1a3&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of my install process. Anyway it wasn't very difficult,I just mounted the camera in the hole left in the glass,ran the ground wire from the camera to an area behind the hatch,ran the 12volt power wire and (rca style) video feed wire through the grommet at the left top corner of the hatch.Then removed the side panel pieces and ran my wiring up to my JVC KW-AVX810 Multimedia receiver.The camera comes on when in reverse,but I wanted the option of turning it on at other times too,so I installed a hidden round on/off rocker switch.For the switch to work as I wanted,I had to use a diode as to not backfeed into the switch and trigger my reverse lights,when the camera was on while not in reverse.

Ok enough of that,here's some pics.

^^Camera was on in almost total darkness.

The switch can barely be seen unless I were to point it out.

Thanks for looking. :)

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those of us that would like or need to keep our rear wiper it looks to me that the Lock cylinder hole is nearly the same size. Sure it would be offset from the middle a little bit, but?

I'm just sayin';-)

Honestly I rarely if ever use my key to unlock my E. 99.9% of the time I use the remote.

BTW that looks awesome!!!!!
Thank You. :)

I don't think this actual camera would fit in that location,but I'm sure there are other cameras that will.:cool:

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is VERY cool!!!!! WOW!!
Did you put a bead of silicone around it and the window?? For leaks?

Here in CALI, I have used my rear wiper, but only because it was there.

That is an awesome install.

To bad I dont have a video screen. :(
Thanks!

It has an O ring behind the front of the bezel to prevent leaks,but yes...I did add a bead of silicone around the backside of the camera. :cool:

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice! i did the same thing 4 years ago lol, but w/ mine, it points a little high. so the only thing i can see is mostly the sky or the top of peoples cars. i rather it point more to the ground so i can see if i'm gonna bump into another car. Did you seal it? mine leaks a little water only when i wash my E

if anyone is interested i have an extra camera bnib sitting around
Thanks. :) My camera doesn't point high at all,but I would of liked it to point down just a tad more. The camera came with angle rings,but since the threads on the outside of the camera just fit inside the hole in the glass,I couldn't tilt the camera down with the angle rings. It does have an O-ring behind the bezel that seals against the glass and the camera,but just to be sure I wouldn't have any leaks,I sealed the backside with silicone.:cool:

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
how did you run the video wire to the front under the upper molding? i looked at the molding, but don't know how to get it off without total destruction of either the headliners panels, my hands or both does it just pop off with a wide thin blade underneath?
Actually I didn't run that wire under the upper molding,I ran my video signal wire through the factory grommet located on the left side of the upper hatch,then I removed the back seat and the entire side panel to run it to the front of the vehicle.If you're wanting to remove that plastic headliner trim piece that houses the rear dome light,you will need to pop the lens cover off the dome light and remove the two screws that hold it in place.Then you'll be able to safely pop that trim piece off.Oh and after you pop it off just unplug the dome light.

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
@ Eww-an-E, I clicked on the link you gave to the ebay page where you purchased your camera but it had expired. Could you give me the specs on the camera? And, do you think that instead of using the windshield wiper hole you could get a better angle by drilling a hole and mounting it down by the license plate?
A while back I did a little searching for another member who was also interested in that camera and this particular camera looks to be the same one that I have.
Here's the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CCD-INFRARED-KEYHOLE-WIDE-ANGLE-REAR-VIEW-BACKUP-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ260491533390QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca6815c4e
As for mounting it down by the license plate area,I really don't know if that would allow you a much better view,or not.:? I can tell you it certainly won't look as cool though.8)
J/K:-D

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Awesome, totally streamlined. Now, could this camera be powered on and off by the same stalk switch that powers the rear wiper motor? Maybe fed to the head unit through an Aux port if available to bypass the only on in reverse mode?
Thanks and as racerc2000 mentioned, sure you could probably do that if you were to find the correct wires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.