Honda Element Owners Club banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Bac-up camera installation

I wanted a back up camera, so I installed on. I wanted to place it between the two rear license plate lights on the tailgate, but couldn't figure out how to the power and RCA plugs thru the standard wiring boot connecting to the body and from the outside of the tailgate to the inside w/o drilling holes. So, I installed it inside the lift gate, on the passenger side of the plastic garnish. In this position, it is protected from the elements (weather), very hidden, and is not obscured by defroster window wires. Cons are it can get bumped inside by bikes and packages and can only angle down to see items about 2-3 feet from bumper (this is a condition of the stock Kenwood mount for the camera and it's angle of view). I may modify the mount to fix this issue. Here are some photos of the install.

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts
how did you run the video wire to the front under the upper molding? i looked at the molding, but don't know how to get it off without total destruction of either the headliners panels, my hands or both does it just pop off with a wide thin blade underneath?
i have a camera , and being in the NE, i will use probably use the rear lock hole.\ i want to get the rear video wire up front, so i can do the same as you , mount a switch for anytime use.
i will probably keep it temp mounted, till i am sure where it will work the best. i tried the camera at home, and it has a wide angle lens, hopefully from the lock hole, it will pick up the bumper of a car while parking, and full view for people.
i saw a Magellan 7 inch gps, think it was a roadmate 1700 that costco has on sale. It has aux video jacks, and may buy that if i can find a good mounting place/
main question is getting a nice video cable run.

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
how did you run the video wire to the front under the upper molding? i looked at the molding, but don't know how to get it off without total destruction of either the headliners panels, my hands or both does it just pop off with a wide thin blade underneath?
Actually I didn't run that wire under the upper molding,I ran my video signal wire through the factory grommet located on the left side of the upper hatch,then I removed the back seat and the entire side panel to run it to the front of the vehicle.If you're wanting to remove that plastic headliner trim piece that houses the rear dome light,you will need to pop the lens cover off the dome light and remove the two screws that hold it in place.Then you'll be able to safely pop that trim piece off.Oh and after you pop it off just unplug the dome light.

· Registered
1,271 Posts
Pls do a write up w/pics when you tackle the project. Pleeeeeeease.

i have a camera , and being in the NE, i will use probably use the rear lock hole.\ i want to get the rear video wire up front, so i can do the same as you , mount a switch for anytime use.
i will probably keep it temp mounted, till i am sure where it will work the best. i tried the camera at home, and it has a wide angle lens, hopefully from the lock hole, it will pick up the bumper of a car while parking, and full view for people.
i saw a Magellan 7 inch gps, think it was a roadmate 1700 that costco has on sale. It has aux video jacks, and may buy that if i can find a good mounting place/
main question is getting a nice video cable run.

· Registered
17 Posts
@ Eww-an-E, I clicked on the link you gave to the ebay page where you purchased your camera but it had expired. Could you give me the specs on the camera? And, do you think that instead of using the windshield wiper hole you could get a better angle by drilling a hole and mounting it down by the license plate?

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
@ Eww-an-E, I clicked on the link you gave to the ebay page where you purchased your camera but it had expired. Could you give me the specs on the camera? And, do you think that instead of using the windshield wiper hole you could get a better angle by drilling a hole and mounting it down by the license plate?
A while back I did a little searching for another member who was also interested in that camera and this particular camera looks to be the same one that I have.
Here's the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CCD-INFRARED-KEYHOLE-WIDE-ANGLE-REAR-VIEW-BACKUP-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ260491533390QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca6815c4e
As for mounting it down by the license plate area,I really don't know if that would allow you a much better view,or not.:? I can tell you it certainly won't look as cool though.8)
J/K:-D

· Registered
1,456 Posts
Im pretty sure it can be powered by the wiper stalk. the full on rear wiper setting should be a full 12v steady.

now all you have to do is trace wires and test for power

BTW this mod is amazing. this will be one of my next mods....well its holding the 6th spot atm.

beaks bar, carbon fiber interior,foglights, leather interior,headlight retrofit,this camera

geese i have much to do

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Awesome, totally streamlined. Now, could this camera be powered on and off by the same stalk switch that powers the rear wiper motor? Maybe fed to the head unit through an Aux port if available to bypass the only on in reverse mode?
Thanks and as racerc2000 mentioned, sure you could probably do that if you were to find the correct wires.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.