Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
1535 lbs is the trailer alone. By the time you put your camping gear in it will be over 2,000 Lb.

It's a lot to ask from our Elements. More than I would like to subject my Element to even empty.

Dom

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,942 Posts
Even if the weight were under 1200#, at nearly 7 feet in height during towing, IMHO this design would be too large for an Element to tow in a crosswind.

I recall seeing a similar design trailer of with an all plywood body that weighed much less. It had a non-motorized swing up roof, but instead of glass side panels its 1/4" plywood sides structurally supported the roof. The overall height was lower because it wasn't a walk-in.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Hi,

I want to get something to tow behind my E. Any suggestions.

Jim
Suggest the Teardrop Hiker Chick has (a couple of other members have the same one too)

or maybe for the right price, Jojo will build you one like hers

Good luck in your search

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Hi Jim, welcome to EOC!

That is a sharp looking trailer but agree with the others that it's too heavy and too big for the E. I wouldn't chance it. But there have been a couple EOC members pulling the even heavier [email protected] trailers. I wouldn't but I err on the side of caution.

Highly recommend that you check out this thread that covers my decision process on getting a teardrop. The thread includes photos of other teardrops and some very good advice and experience is related by other EOC members (check out Box4Rox's experience and JoJo's teardrop build and towing experiences).

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37536&page=79

And this link below is to the #1 information source on "Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers." T&TTT is a very collegial community with gob of information on trailers and towing. There are several Element owners on T&TTT.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

I bought mine in 2007. If I were shopping for a new teardrop today, I would look hard at the following: 1) Camp Inn (expensive but very high quality); 2) So-Cal (among the more expensive but also very high quality; 3) Little Guy "Silver Shadow" (I have the basic LG, they weren't doing the SS when I was shopping); 4) used home-made (some very sweet teardrops come up for sale on T&TTT)

I bought a 6'-wide. Today I would buy a 5'-wide. I enjoy the added foot but don't really need it. The Element tows the 6-wide fine but the 5-wide would be 100 pounds less, less wind-resistance and easier to fit into a garage or storage unit.

A trailer really does make camping a whole lot more convenient. Mine is permanently packed with everything but food. I just hitch-and-go, no setup at camp or breaking down a tent or dealing with a wet tent. Now I can go up to the mountains late and don't even un-hitch when we get there. Just climb in and go to sleep.

Good luck!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Vintage Ken Skill

Hi Jim, welcome. I know where there is a nice all original teardrop for sale. Its located in CT and he wants $4,000. It doesn't need restoring and is turn key. Its a collectors Item and was built in 1945 by the Ken Skill co. in CA. If your interested pm me and I'll find his contact info. By the way if your interested I live in Media and also pull a tear with my E. Check my album out. Are you going to the day meet in June. More info on the mid-atlantic section. Best MoonDrop

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Hi Jim, welcome. I know where there is a nice all original teardrop for sale. Its located in CT and he wants $4,000. It doesn't need restoring and is turn key. Its a collectors Item and was built in 1945 by the Ken Skill co. in CA. If your interested pm me and I'll find his contact info. By the way if your interested I live in Media and also pull a tear with my E. Check my album out. Are you going to the day meet in June. More info on the mid-atlantic section. Best MoonDrop
That sounds like a great deal!
:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the good info.

The June meet sounds good. I live in Exton, myself. It looks like you voted for June 19. The following weekend I leave for the Chester County Boy Scout Science camp at Camp Ware on the Horseshoe Scout Reservation. So June 19 would be good for me or dates before that and after July 4.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.