Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for an Element to be a daily driver - I want to put less miles on my '06 Mini Cooper S convertible... ;) And we would like a versatile "toad" to pull behind our motorhome.

Would probably prefer a stick, but as everyone knows they are like hen's teeth. I'm looking at a '10 EX AWD auto with about 160K on it for $8,978 at a local dealer. It seems in good shape overall, little to no rust and drives well. My only concern thus far is a loud clunk from the rear end when going over bumps in the road. It does not appear to be the exhaust hitting anything, but that's about as far as I've gotten.

Just curious as to whether this points to anything in particular or specific to Elements. I am a DIY guy, but also want to know what I might be getting myself into. Also could be a negotiation point if I get serious.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
730 Posts
You are correct, that damper isn't used on a 10 AWD AT (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com is a good source to find applicable parts). One typical source of clunking is the rear sway bar bushings; beware, the bolts are often seized and break when trying to remove. Regardless, get it up in the air and get it inspected. What part of the country? Rust on the underside can be quite severe in areas that use salt in the winter.

Note: Unless you use a full trailer, a 4WD Element requires special precautions for preparing the drivetrain for towing - it can only be flat towed (all four wheels on the ground).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Central PA, so rust is hit and miss. I did look under it a bit on my first visit and it looked pretty good, but I will be re-examining. Also thanks for the towing warning - I am aware of the procedure and would be only flat towing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well one of the possible benefits of buying from a dealer is that you can make fixing the problem a part of the deal to buy the car?
So I would make them aware and get it diagnosed at least to be able to understand better the actual value of the deal.

I also have a 2010 EX AWD with about the same miles on it and mine pretty much acts and feels like it is new which is what I have come to expect from a well maintained Honda or Toyota overall and I would hope that this one is the same?

I have never seen a Manual transmission Element that new either and am not sure they sill offered them in 2010 but I would have been all over one if I did see it!

It took me literally 5 years or more to find mine though anyway and I have few regrets about it so if it looks good and makes sense in the end do not let it get away too!

Good Luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@AVService-314 Thanks very much for your input! I am definitely going to use the clunk issue in my negotiations if we get that far. It did drive well and I'm going back for a second look this morning. Out of curiosity, with those miles what sorts of repairs have you run into lately?

·
Registered
228 Posts
@AVService-314 Thanks very much for your input! I am definitely going to use the clunk issue in my negotiations if we get that far. It did drive well and I'm going back for a second look this morning. Out of curiosity, with those miles what sorts of repairs have you run into lately?
I had a clunk coming from the rear of mine; I changed the rear sway bushings, but no change. Turned out one of the rear struts was clunking, had them both replaced, no more clunk. Within a year I also changed the fronts. If the 2010 you're looking at is on the original struts, they are 99% for sure worn out and shot. I didn't realize quite how bad mine were until they were replaced. My '03 has similar mileage (163k) and the chassis feels like new with new struts all around, totally transformed the vehicle's chassis in my opinion. Spendy to replace for sure, but totally worth it.

In any case, you can push the 'needs struts' thing with the seller -- about $700 for each end of the vehicle.

Other than the struts, my only other major repair has been replacing the exhaust cam on mine (happened to certain of the '03s only - so not something you need to worry about). I've put 82k miles on mine in the last 5 years and it's been a great, reliable vehicle.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have had mine since about 88K and not had to do a single thing to it at all other than Oil Changes,New Tires and some body work after my Cousins Wife backed into it in her driveway?!

Again the reason I buy Toyota and Honda pretty much exclusively any more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was going to reply as someone else did, I have a '10 which I have listed for sale in the trading post. Incidentally, I had the rear clunking last year and ended up replacing the struts which took care of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great info everyone! Sounds like struts are in my future, cause I took the plunge & bought the car this afternoon... :)

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,208 Posts
Thanks for the great info everyone! Sounds like struts are in my future, cause I took the plunge & bought the car this afternoon... :)
Cool! :)

Show us some pictures of your new ride when you get a chance.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,208 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Says in a earlier post, central PA. I'm in Ohio, I kinda like the change of seasons until the snow starts falling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, Central PA, and I'm with fleetw00d - it's all good until you have to be at work and there's a foot of snow to clear. I love snow if I can sit indoors with a cup o joe and watch.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've only been to the office three times since about March - this working from home is getting kinda old, but maybe I won't complain when it snows.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,

Looking for an Element to be a daily driver - I want to put less miles on my '06 Mini Cooper S convertible... ;) And we would like a versatile "toad" to pull behind our motorhome.

Would probably prefer a stick, but as everyone knows they are like hen's teeth. I'm looking at a '10 EX AWD auto with about 160K on it for $8,978 at a local dealer. It seems in good shape overall, little to no rust and drives well. My only concern thus far is a loud clunk from the rear end when going over bumps in the road. It does not appear to be the exhaust hitting anything, but that's about as far as I've gotten.

Just curious as to whether this points to anything in particular or specific to Elements. I am a DIY guy, but also want to know what I might be getting myself into. Also could be a negotiation point if I get serious.

Thanks in advance!
My 2006 EXP has a clunk in the back that I've been looking for for about 4 years. Replaced all struts around 200K with KYBs, rear sway bar end links and adjustable rear upper arms, diff rear mount; no change. What's strange is it is intermittent. Doesn't seem to be hurting tire wear and everything is tight. Took the spare tire, jack, etc out, no change.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts