Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
730 Posts
I don't see rear sway bar bushings. I can say from personal experience that these can be the source of clunking. Make sure to soak the bolt threads (protruding upward from the cross member) with penetrating oil; these are notorious for seizing in the cross member and breaking when you try to remove them. Be prepared with new bolts if you can drill out and rethread the holes, or with bolts and nuts if you find you need to just drill a hole. The bolts are hard and difficult to drill out.

If you want to check if it the bushings before doing anything, find a thin stiff piece of plastic that you can stuff in the clearance between the bar and the bushings; if the clunking goes away, you know it is the bushings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I will be very interested to see what I find when I finally get it jacked up for a good look around. I have a factory service manual on the way, but in the meantime can I jack up the rear from the differential housing? Or is there another central jack point?

·
Registered
730 Posts
DO NOT USE THE DIFFERENTIAL! There is a thick wire loop at the center rear of the spare tire well, this is the jack point. You can probably reach the bar without even jacking it up, just whack it with your hand - I was able to make my daughter's clunk just by doing this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,

Looking for an Element to be a daily driver - I want to put less miles on my '06 Mini Cooper S convertible... ;) And we would like a versatile "toad" to pull behind our motorhome.

Would probably prefer a stick, but as everyone knows they are like hen's teeth. I'm looking at a '10 EX AWD auto with about 160K on it for $8,978 at a local dealer. It seems in good shape overall, little to no rust and drives well. My only concern thus far is a loud clunk from the rear end when going over bumps in the road. It does not appear to be the exhaust hitting anything, but that's about as far as I've gotten.

Just curious as to whether this points to anything in particular or specific to Elements. I am a DIY guy, but also want to know what I might be getting myself into. Also could be a negotiation point if I get serious.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks like a nice one at a reasonable price. I had a bad clunk in my ‘05 manual E when I bought it, and the sway bar bushings fixed it. Cheap and easy, but mine is rust free. Good Luck.
Anyone else see this one? I love my Hondoo, but this seems a bit pricey to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Looking for an Element to be a daily driver - I want to put less miles on my '06 Mini Cooper S convertible... ;) And we would like a versatile "toad" to pull behind our motorhome.

Would probably prefer a stick, but as everyone knows they are like hen's teeth. I'm looking at a '10 EX AWD auto with about 160K on it for $8,978 at a local dealer. It seems in good shape overall, little to no rust and drives well. My only concern thus far is a loud clunk from the rear end when going over bumps in the road. It does not appear to be the exhaust hitting anything, but that's about as far as I've gotten.

Just curious as to whether this points to anything in particular or specific to Elements. I am a DIY guy, but also want to know what I might be getting myself into. Also could be a negotiation point if I get serious.

Thanks in advance!
i have a 2005 EX 5 speed, khaki, Michelin tires 59,600 miles bought it new 2005, shipped it to Hawaii and used it until 2014. had 14,000 miles. shipped back to california. presently i am in eagle idaho. changed oil on time or sooner, always used full synthetic oil and mobile one filters. if interested pls call 408-489-3035

·
Registered
730 Posts
i have a 2005 EX 5 speed, khaki, Michelin tires 59,600 miles bought it new 2005, shipped it to Hawaii and used it until 2014. had 14,000 miles. shipped back to california. presently i am in eagle idaho. changed oil on time or sooner, always used full synthetic oil and mobile one filters. if interested pls call 408-489-3035
If you read the thread, he bought one already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
Hi! I have an 010 with 119K EX auto AWD and
it's set up for towing, has a Blue OX baseplate installed and I have towed it for the last 3 years, but I'm going to sell my motorhome and "Ella B" next year. Or sooner if I can find a Nissan nv3500 I like. I'm located in Oregon, perhaps you might be interested? Charcoal Gray running synthetic oil since 2014 no leaks, no rust. A clean machine!

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi! I have an 010 with 119K EX auto AWD and
it's set up for towing, has a Blue OX baseplate installed and I have towed it for the last 3 years, but I'm going to sell my motorhome and "Ella B" next year. Or sooner if I can find a Nissan nv3500 I like. I'm located in Oregon, perhaps you might be interested? Charcoal Gray running synthetic oil since 2014 no leaks, no rust. A clean machine!

Thanks, Bob
If you read the thread, he bought one already

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
HISTORY
1) Get a carfax report on any car you are looking at. Read it. Look at the mileage to make sure no one has rolled back the odometer. Look at all of the service records to make sure they make sense. Look for long periods of no service reports. Or look for the vehicle being sold at auction. If it is sold multiple consecutive times at auction just before it is offered for sale, get curious.

INSPECTION
1) Bring a bright flashlight. It helps you see up into dark places, and it focuses your vision on one small patch at a time. Take your time to just look at a small area looking for anything weird. Then shift your attention to another small area. I find that really helps. Otherwise I just tend to sweep my view across large areas and not really see at what I am looking at.

2) Bring a big piece of cardboard to lay on the ground under the car. If you are going to spend that much money on a car, at least go underneath it and spend a few minutes there just looking at things. Look for rust and oil leaks. Also look for damage from hitting things. Look for the catalytic converter. Look at the exhaust from one end to the other. Look at the drive shafts and the CV joints. Look for oil stains that would indicate old oil leaks or blown CV joint boots. Just camp out there for a while with your flash light and look.

RUST
1) The easiest place to inspect for rust is the rear bumper cross member. Just look up under the rear bumper at the squarish steel tube. While you are down on one knee, look forward to the bolt heads that are visible under the car. If you don't see any rust on the rear bumper tube or under the back of the car, you are probably good.
2) Drop the tailgate and lift the plastic flap. Look for paint bubbling around the hinge attachment points.
3) Open the front doors. Look where the plastic door jamb trim touches the panted metal. Look for pant bubbling.
4) Open the hood. Look that the painted metal radiator supports on either side of the radiator. Look for paint bubbling. Look for corrosion on the metal fittings in the engine compartment.

OIL
1) There is almost always oil on the right side diagonal subframe brace. It spills there when the oil filter is changed. (I missed a good one because I did not know this. I thought it was leaking oil.)
2) Bring a flashlight and look at the left and right sides of the engine. If you see oil, there is a leak.
3) Get under the car with the flashlight and look at the bottom of the engine, transmission, transfer case, and differential. If there is any oil on any of the these, that item is leaking oil.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Liquid O2 - all good advice, but if you look at post #10 he bought the one he was looking at 9 days ago.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts