Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to Chicago over Fathers Day weekend and was thinking of going to the Aquarium. It's a little spendy at $30 per person. Just wondering if anyone has been there and was it worth the price.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I thought it was cool but, I'm a bioscientist so I was geeking out about it the whole time. Field Museum is too cool as well. If you're into art, the art museum is (or used to be) free on tuesdays if IIRC.

Are you just going to be there for one day?

I ask because if you're going to be there a few days a city pass may interest you.

The wife and I did that a few years ago our first time in Chi. Did it in Seattle too.
http://www.citypass.com/city/chicago.html

Copper, AccordDriver hurry up and give out some decent Chi information!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Haven't been there in years. Guess it was $5 or $6 then. But they've added a lot of new exhibits since then.

Hard question to answer, "Is it worth it?".:confused:

Lincoln Park Zoo is still free! Cost you $20 to park, but a great value.:smile:

·
Registered
603 Posts
I went to the Shedd Aquariam about 5 years ago. Really enjoyed. Also thought the Field Museum was great. You don't really need to drive in Chicago. I would take cab or public transportation. Cabs are much cheaper than parking fees in Chicago.

2 years ago when I was in Chicago I went to the Museum of Science. However it is on the south side and quite a distance from downtown. About 1/2 hour bus ride. The German sub is worth it. Plus they have this neat display on trains. Whatever you plan, you should have a great time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was just there for the US vs Honduras game this last weekend, went to the Shead, its $24.95; the 30 dollar one was with some movie thing. Its worth it if your into that kind of stuff. Having been many times to the city I would say the best "attraction" for the money would be the Field Museum

·
Registered
357 Posts
Get that worm

Ok. The Aquarium is totaly worth it especially for the kids. If your little ones are under 3 they get in for free. The big tank is right in the middle and right there when you walk in. There are numerous branches with smaller tanks that have more specialized species in them. My son is only 15 months and he went absolutely ape. He couldn't get enough of the place.

The one big peice of advice I would give you. Be there when it opens. It opens at 9 am. I would suggest getting there 30-45 minutes early. The place gets pretty crowded during the afternoon. Your ticket is good for the entire day. If the kids need a breather leave and come back later. You can take a stroll by the lake and get some fresh air.

Eating: There is a resturant in the Shedd that is pretty good. A little pricey but not bad. As I said before you can leave and come back so you can hit the food vendors along the lake and get the kids a Hotdog and chips and dine al fresco. And the Seaguls and pigeons will cleanup after the kids.:D;-)

Parking: is not that bad around there so if you drive it's not too tough. In that same area you can also hit Adler Planetarium(the sky show is good for a quick snuggle with the Mrs.), the Field Museum, and of course pay Homage to one of the greatest Football teams of all time, the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field.

Oh Wait.... You might be a Vikings fan never mind.;-):rolleyes:

Last but not least a 10 minute drive south on Lake Shore Drive will get you to the Museum of Science and Industry. One of my personal favorites when I was a kid. Yes I was the kind of kid that used to blow things up.:)

Oh yeah... Don't forget to check out Millenium park. Most of this is walking distance. Park once and walk.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,829 Posts
Visiting the Shedd one time is worth the price for an adult, and worthwhile for a family if the kids are old enough, and are interested. Parking in the entire area around the museum campus and Soldier Field is expensive- the city sold the street parking meter concession for the entire city to a private company. A city parking lot is cheaper.

If you haven't been there before, I'd recommend the Lincoln Park Zoo as a better all-around value. Parking rates are about the same as the Shedd, but admission is free. That takes away the pressure to arrive early and stay late to justify a high ticket cost.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I am going to Chicago over Fathers Day weekend and was thinking of going to the Aquarium. It's a little spendy at $30 per person. Just wondering if anyone has been there and was it worth the price.
This just in. General admission is free June 14-19. So if you can get down a couple of days early, you get a deal.:)

http://www.sheddaquarium.org/discounts.html

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sorry just saw this and it looks like everyone covered all the points I would have. Only thing to add is if you have a chance stop by Marios Italian Ice in Little Italy, its a short 5 min drive from the Shedd and Field Museum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts