Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - new member here and first post.

Just picked up an '05 black Element on Saturday - and really like it. My husband had a more "beat up" green one with higher miles, but traded it off.

So, anyway. I have the "lights on" chime going off when it isn't supposed to. Here is the scenario... The Element is parked and locked. I approach it and press the unlock button on the key fob. When I open the driver's door, I hear 2-3 chimes and then they stop. Thought it was rather odd - so I played around with it a bit today. Here is what else happens. If you have the driver's door open and you press the unlock button on the key fob, the "lights on" chime will sound about 3 times. If I sit inside with the door closed and press the unlock button on the key fob nothing happens.

Think there is an electrical short somewhere? I don't think this is normal...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
235 Posts
nope, my 08 does that too. The chime goes off whenever your lights flash and the door is open. So when you're hitting your unlock button and climbing in, the drivers door is open and the parking lights are flashing, hence the chime. The system doesn't differentiate between you accidently leaving your lights on or the light flashing from the keyless entry system.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is standard with all keyless entry honda's today. My 05 Civic did the same thing. I've just gotten into the habit of unlocking the doors and letting the lights flash before I open any doors.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Also a thanks for hearing this is normal

(yah, Unorthobox used the search feature, and found this thread)

My E sat for 5 days, and the last time it was driven, the whole family was in it.

I had a dead battery today, the kids in the back might have hit the light switch when exiting, or we didn't close the tale-gait window tightly, or something, I can't find out why.

ANYWAY, I'm glad to hear that this chime is normal.
I haven't paid any attention to it. I've been off and on work, so not driving it much.

Thanks for this thread.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I joke around with the E (yeah, i'm twisted) and say, "Caught you!" when I open the door and hear a second of chiming before it stops right away. It makes my girlfriend laugh.

But yeah, totally normal to hear it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
First post for me, the wife and I are three day owners of our first 2010 LX 4WD. Not sure how I stumbled across this "problem" on ours just yesterday, but I am glad that I saw this thread and found out it's normal.

Thanks for the post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts