Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a VW Turbo Beetle that was "chipped" by a local company to increase performance. I believe it was called "Upsolute" (it's been 5 years ago).

It really made the bug fly! The low end torque would almost twist the steering wheel out of my hand. When the turbo lit up, wow!

I think this just readjusted the power band somehow. He put in a new chip and used a handheld computer to tweak it.

Anything like this available for an Element?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hondata is a company that sells Honda-specific programmable ECU's. I've never had one but had friends that bought them for their EP3 Civic Si's. I believe they are the same motor and transmission of our Elements.

Maybe check into that avenue?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hondata is doable but very expensive, if you can find a dynoshop with the correct software, good luck, you could get it dyno tuned, good luck.
Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see "Superchips" is an advertiser here. But when you go to their site, Honda isn't listed as a model that they chip. That's odd.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We had a VW Turbo Beetle that was "chipped" by a local company to increase performance. I believe it was called "Upsolute" (it's been 5 years ago).

It really made the bug fly! The low end torque would almost twist the steering wheel out of my hand. When the turbo lit up, wow!

I think this just readjusted the power band somehow. He put in a new chip and used a handheld computer to tweak it.

Anything like this available for an Element?

The Element is non-turbo, of course, so ECU mods aren't going to have nearly the effect that they had with the bug!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Honda is very good at what they do. The only reason to "chip" your car is to get the most out of some engine mods. I'm not talking just an intake pipe and a header. Dyno tuning to squeeze a single horsepower out of those mods is a waste of $$$ if you ask me.
But to each their own.

And stay away from those ebay "chips" claiming to increase your mileage, give you 30% horsepower increases, etc. They're garbage and will do more harm than good. Like I said, Honda is very good at tuning their engines. You're not going to be able to squeeze much more out of a pretty much stock engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jet Performance will re-chip your ECU. They send you a shipping package and instructions how to remove it, you send it in to them ( yes you have to park your E for a week or so ) they will re-solder a replacement and program to your specific set-up / wishes and send it back. I have heard 3-4 positive reviews of their services, no negatives other than having to wait with no wheels.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Unless the car is strapped to a dyno and you can actively tune it to what it's doing performance wise, "tuning" like mentioned above is pointless. Cookie cutter "one size fits all" type chips suck.

No two engines are the same. Even if you take two engines from the same production run, do the same mods to them, their power output and performance will be different.

Tuning isn't something you should look for the cheap way out on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts