Honda Element Owners Club banner

Choosing an MP3 player...

5K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  pookSter 
#1 ·
As a musician, it's pretty common for me to take rough mixes of my latest work in the car for heavy rotation and evaluation. In my old car, I used the cassette deck, but in the E, I plan to use the AUX and an MP3 player. However, I'm having a rough time deciding what to get.

I'd love to have an iPod of course, but I really don't want to spend that much on a non-essential like that. The main concerns are finding a player that a) can run on AC power and b) is both Mac & PC compatible. I'm trying to decide whether I want to go with a CD-based player, which basically means unlimited storage space and total computer compatibility, or if I want to get a simple solid state player. Most of the time I only bring two or three songs in for evaluation... anything more permanent than that will likely just get burnt on a CD, so maybe storage isn't an issue. And of course there are removable storage models as well. I'm trying to stay under $100. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!
Drew

#30 ·
Hey Sunstroke...check out the newest firmware finished this week for the Archos MP3 players. The Rockbox firmware guys actually designed talking menus for this player. Excellent when you don't want to take your eyes off the road. I think they call the new feature "talkback" and you should find it in the daily builds. These guys are really getting lightyears ahead of ipod.

#31 ·
Oh Sunstroke, another thing you can do for the 12 volt charger. There are universal adapters that convert to 12, 9, 6, 3.5 volts with different ends at target, radio shack, etc. Just make sure you get the polarity right or you will trash your player.
Another way is just to buy a 120v inverter. This way you can run your laptop, mp3 player charger or other small appliance in you E. I can show you where I mounted mine if you are interested.

#35 ·
It really depends on the wav file. I record talk radio in a compressed wav format, and just rename the extention to mp3. For all intensive purposes, no it just plays mp3 files.
Other files it will manage is txt files (you can read text files) and html. You are correct that you can store any file format. When you plug in the Archos to the usb port, the computer automatically recognizes it as a 20 gig harddrive which is nice because you don't have to carry around special software/drivers like other MP3 players.

I believe the topic of playing other formats other than MP3 was brought up to the Rockbox firmware team, but I think it was voted out by most because it was not a useful feature.

#37 ·
mborkow said:
personally i have always thought that mp3s sound a bit hollow

I don't know what MP3s you have been listening to. Perhaps you have listened to ones that have been encoded at a lower bitrate. I have listened to songs in MP3 and Wav format on my ipod and I have to say, I can't tell the difference sonicly. (other than the fact that the playlists in wav format took 20 times longer to load because of the size).

Have you ever wondered why there are only 10 songs on a music cd? The reason is they were recorded in wav format (a standard decided upon before the MP3 compression came out). It would make no sense to listen to music on an MP3 player in wav format. The amount of space it would take up for say 10 songs in wav format, you could fit 150 songs in the MP3 format.

Owning both an ipod and Archos, I do like the ipod display, but the features on the Archos blows the ipod away. If you used both for a week, I'm sure you would agree.

#39 ·
Theoretical ..maybe. Enough for a human to realize...probably not. This is the same arguement the "audiofiles" had when cd's came out. "records sound better man".
I am sure if I recorded in both formats and had you try to tell me which was which..you couldn't. And then there is the factor of you listening to the mp3 player through headphones or the stereo in the Element. There is no way you would see any difference.
Also, think about things like how long it would take to copy over a 40 meg song compaired to the same song at 3.5 megs in MP3 format. Then we haven't even dealt with the battery life issue in your MP3 player. If the Harddrive had to access 40 megs instead of 3.5 while song playback, think of how many more times your drive has to spin up to get that extra data. The battery life would stink. I could go on and on, but I will spare the readers of this post hehe..

#41 ·
You are quite welcome. Either unit you can't go wrong. The reason I bought the Archos the second time around is because the IPOD was only 10 gig model. I thought it was lots of storage space when I bought it. 2 years down the road I found myself looking at the 20 gig because I ran out of room. I went the Archos route because in a couple of years, I am sure I will be in the same situation. The Archos can be upgraded to any size simply by replaceing the harddrive with a normal 80 gig laptop drive. And with the firmware being upgraded and new features added on a daily basis, and the talking menus on the Archos has sold me.

#43 ·
Depends where you live. I am in Canada and bought mine online at www.jandr.com I have bought several things here with very good service. Harmony computers, Computer city are a couple others. Expect to pay $200-$250 . There are different models to choose from. One that records, one that doesn't, one with FM one without. Its nice to have the record features as the Archos has a digital in jack, so you can record from CD's directly to MP3 format.

I would however recommend the Archos recorder 20 over the FM Recorder 20 simply because the one without FM has the older style AA Nickel Metal Hydrate batteries which last 10 hours. If you go with the FM recorder, its a newer design with a lithium battery that is not standard, and I am afraid that in a year or so when it needs replacing, you will probably pay a pretty penny from Archos for it.

Hope that helps..

#44 ·
just read through post, great information. i also like what i hear about the archos. my one question is pookster you recommend against the fm one because of an expensive batteries. do you know of any other real differences between them, any other upgrades to the fm recorder, or anything left off it that the other one has? since j&r offers them both for the same price, i am choosing between the two and would like any more information you might have. thanks.

#46 ·
The main difference is the FM and they have a propriatary battery now. I think the battery life is about the same, only when this needs to be replaced yuou will have to order one from archos. The Recorder 20 model comes with 1500 mah AA batteries which last 10 hours. Now availaible are 2200 mah batteries aftermarket giving you %30 more battery life, so if you dont need fm, I like the versitility for battery replacement.
As you can see, the new fm recorder is a bit sleeker in design and I'm not sure if Its an improvement or not.
I do know that they have an FM LCD remote coming out for the multimedia player which I know will work on the Recorder 20 in the future, so I will pick up one of those when available for the FM part.

As you know, the firmware upgrades I spoke about earlier which are changing on a daily basis give you more options on both models, but at the moment it seems that the most advances in features are in the Recorder 20 model since its been around longer. I am sure the fm model will catch up soon.

#48 ·
thanks for the info. convenience of AAs and a couple extra bucks, or sleek design and an fm radio. with a couple thousands songs, i don't think i'll be listening to the radio all that much, but that sleek new desing is appealing. either way, i think it'll be a good deal.

#50 ·
Just as an update, I got my RioVolt SP250 and I think it's great. Not only does it have a wired remote so I don't have to reach far to change the song, but it's gray and black so it matches my interior nicely. :) Only complaints are that it's a little large to fit in the trays by the dash jacks and that the AC can turn off if the cord gets tweaked in the wrong direction. Still, it's very cool and I'm thrilled with it. Already put my entire Sting collection on one CD, and all of my Art of Noise on another, and that's at 160kbs quality. :)

Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.