Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the forum.
I've had the E for two weeks, it's great, but I noticed a periodic chugging at an average speed of 100 km/hr (manual T-NO check engine light).
I've ran hi test and put in a injection cleaner, no change.
Should I go over the vacuum system or look at the ignition system?
Hutch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chugging

ramblerdan,
Thanks for the reply.
I hope I can describe this properly!
When I am highway driving, every once and awhile at (1 min. intervals approx.) it seems like the engine miss fires causing a chug then back to normal.The check engine light does not come on, it has 55,000 kms, I have only changed the oil and added injector cleaner since I purchased.
Thanks
Hutch

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
This may sound weird but are you feeling a lurch when this happens? if so is your climate knob in any of the 2 defrost positions if so it could be the compressor clutching in and going back off. Just a thought.

·
Registered
874 Posts
good one dog, have oyu tried a good fuel system cleaner or a cheep one? lucas or bg are very good,most of the under $5.00 dont do to much for something like this, there good for a minor cleanup.
dan what manifold pressure are you talking about at low rpm??? you got me on that one.
but it does sound like electrickel trickeling over to ground& not firing the plug.or possiable lean condition (water in fuel but that isant usualy speed speffic. might just be plug time/and or valve ajustment. any deep puddels or wash the engine lately?

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
> what manifold pressure are you talking about at low rpm
When you're going slow in high gear and lay on the gas, or pulling a load up a steep grade, the engine "lugs" as it struggles but can't quite answer the helm. That's a case of high manifold pressure (aka low vacuum) at low rpm. Like having your prop set too coarse for climb, right Slimerdogs?

I like the a/c clutch theory, btw. Hutchp, try cycling the a/c. Does that replicate the sensation?

·
Registered
874 Posts
unless it is forced induction at low rpm there isant any pressure. high rpm yes there is at certin points. thats what a tuned intake manifold does , but it needs to be tuned to the head,cam,rpm.to be useful. butit only helps in a narrow rpm band and hurts in other rpm bands. that"s why one intake dosent fit all. you need a flow bench & some math , cam card,more math ,plot a graph ( the one with lines not spots& 4 leggs)and some careful sifering. mostly used for super stock,& some other drag racing classes. velocity stacks can also be in the equation in IR systems and possiably some like ours.:shock::twisted::?8)

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Marksbug, you're not considering that the pressure of the air around us counts.

I still intuitively think of manifold vacuum, measured in inches of mercury (Hg), but my ScanGauge displays it as pressure, in psi. Normally aspirated (unboosted) manifold pressure ranges from close to ambient (14.7 psi, or 29.92 inHg, at sea level), to near zero. Decelerating, pressure is low (=high vacuum). Accelerating, it is high (=low vacuum).

On aircraft with variable-pitch propellers, running manifold pressure (in inches) higher than the RPM (in hundreds) is referred to as "oversquare"—not to be confused with the automotive sense of bore vs. stroke—and is considered in some circles to be making the engine work too hard and possibly shortening its life.

What it boils down to is this: When you're pulling a trailer up a steep hill in high gear and mash on the accelerator, and the engine just can't deliver, that's a case of high manifold pressure (low vacuum) at low RPMs. Increase the RPMs by selecting a lower gear, the manifold pressure goes down (vacuum increases), and you're golden ... within limits of course.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Brings back memory of flying Rose. We cruised at 29 inches and 2050 RPM but burnt 100 gallons an hour of fuel and close to a gallon of oil. Normal for those big round engines.

·
Registered
2003 EX(Orange), 2004 EX (Orange), 2006 EX(Tangerine), 2007 EX (Silver).
73 Posts
I am reviving this old post. I am having the exact same issue in a new to me 2007 with only 100k on the clock. It is very easy to replicate. Highway speed, 60-65 mph and in top gear 2000 RPM. It almost feels like the engine shuts off and comes back to life again. I've also noticed that taking off hard from a stop can make it seem like it is starving for fuel then it "catches". As long as I keep her buzzing over 2k RPM no issues. I have my advanced scanner showing live data and I see nothing abnormal. I don't want to start changing parts just for the sake of changing parts. One of the few times I'd be pretty happy to see a code. If it were coil packs I should see a misfire. If it were fuel delivery I should see fluctuation in pressure from the scanner. If is is the MAF I should see a code. I have even watched ECU voltage to see if I have a drop/bad ground. It is driving me crazy. I guess I can always start with a valve adjustment and go from there. Any help is always appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts