Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2007 Element and noticed the front and rear Cigarette lighters are not working. I checked the the fuses under the hood & undersea the steering wheel. I must be missing something. Any tips?

Since both are not working im assuming there is a different fuse I should be looking at like a master fuse for the interior lighter sockets? my interior lights and everything else works. Im trying to draw some power in the back and ned help.

Thank you and love the group
Vehicle Motor vehicle Communication Device Telephone Gadget

· Administrator
292 Posts
There is a fuse block behind the glove box that has a fuse and relay for the rear socket. I don't remember if that fuse / relay affects the front socket also or just the rear.
Drop the glove box forward (release side tabs) to access it.

Reactions: TonyS

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a fuse block behind the glove box that has a fuse and relay for the rear socket. I don't remember if that fuse / relay affects the front socket also or just the rear.
Drop the glove box forward (release side tabs) to access it.
I had no idea there were more fuses. Which one is it? I can’t find a diagram online ?

· Administrator
292 Posts
That pic doesn't appear to have fuses showing.
I will look it up in the book after work and let you know.

· Administrator
292 Posts
I was wrong. There are no fuses behind the glove box. There is a rear power socket relay, one of the two black ones to the rear of the picture. The book does not identify which one it is.
Fuse #18 in the driver side fuse block (15A) controls the front power socket AND the rear power socket relay (second row, third from right).
Fuse #2 in the driver side fuse block (15A) is power for the rear power socket (bottom row, second from left). This circuit travels through the relay controlled by fuse #18.

If you no power at either socket, check fuse #18.
If you have power in the front socket, but not the rear, check fuse #2.

With ACC on:
Use a voltmeter (DVM) with ground (black lead) on bare metal. Touch the red lead on both sides of the fuse. If one side of the fuse has power and the other doesn't, bad fuse.
If you replace a bad fuse and it blows immediately, pry sockets out of their panel and disconnect them, then replace the fuse to see if it blows again. If the fuse holds, reconnect the sockets one at a time to see if they cause it to blow.
Honda does not sell the outlets anymore, but I bet you can find them aftermarket if needed.

Respond here and I may be able to help further.

Reactions: ajchien

· Administrator
292 Posts
Just realized you showed the under hood fuse box in the first post.
information posted in my last post refers to the under dash fuse box (under the steering wheel)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
information posted in my last post refers to the under dash fuse box (under the steering wheel)
I ordered the black relays to just replace them all behind the glove box. Hopefully that fixes the issue. If not I printed out your instructions and will follow it to a T. They should be coming tomorrow thanks to Amazon. Thank you so much and ill let you know

· Administrator
292 Posts
Nothin to do with this situation, but ...
I had a friend with a different car that used the power socket in the center console as a pen holder. Then she put a metal pen in there. The fuse blew every time she replaced it. When I explained it to her, the look on her face was priceless.

• Haha
Reactions: hownowcb

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
S
So I replaced all the relays and and the fuses and they are both still not working. IM thinking of just running a direct line from the battery to the trunk for power to just bypass all the cigarette lighter power issues unless there is another idea. Could both lighters just be burnt out? Next step is to check with a voltmeter if there is power coming in to both outlets after work today

· Registered
3,447 Posts
S

So I replaced all the relays and and the fuses and they are both still not working. IM thinking of just running a direct line from the battery to the trunk for power to just bypass all the cigarette lighter power issues unless there is another idea. Could both lighters just be burnt out? Next step is to check with a voltmeter if there is power coming in to both outlets after work today
If you do run a dedicated line for power in the rear, be sure to include an inline fuse!

Back when I owned my 2003 Element, I added two fused, always live actual cigarette lighters in the center console. I was quite the chain smoker for many of the 13 years I owned that baby. I still smile every time I see an Element, and it's typically several per day.

· Administrator
292 Posts
Do you have power at the fuses? There could be something upstream of the fuses. I'll check the book again.
Check the installed socket, then pull the sockets, disconnect and check the wires for power at each socket with the key on.

· Administrator
292 Posts
The sockets themselves can burn out. You need to confirm whether or not you have power at the socket connectors.

I have checked the book. In the under hood fuse box, check fuses 14(40A),19(100A),and 20(50A). They are all involved with the power sockets.
In the inside fuse box (under the steering wheel, behind the panel) check fuses 2 and 18. Also involved with the power sockets. Fuse 18 controls the relay that turns on the rear socket. Fuse 18 will only be live with the ignition on by default.

Power for the sockets cascades like this:
  1. Battery to fuse 19 under the hood
  2. Fuse 19 splits to fuse 14 and fuse 20 under the hood
  3. Fuse 14 under hood runs to fuse 2 of the inside box
  4. fuse 20 runs to the ignition switch, then to fuse 18 of the inside box
  5. fuse 18 splits. One side goes to the control side of a relay that gives the rear socket 12vdc power. The other goes to the front power socket.
That is the power connections for the power sockets. If you have found no faults with the fusing, there may be some issue with the wiring itself.

· Registered
3 Posts
S

As said by someone earlier…
KEY MUST BE ON for power to the Accessory
(cigarette lighter) ports to work. You can bypass this by getting an in-line fuse adapter that runs a new fused power line directly from the fuse box without causing damage. Super easy, super safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts