Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my element in for a clanking/metal groaning noise up front.

2 new control arms, strut assembly, bushings later...

They tell me its from my brake pads being worn over 90+ and the play with the calipers is causing the clank/groan noise when I hit certain bumps/etc...

Is this possible?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The pads will usually make a "click" type sound when first applied after changing direction (ie: going in reverse and hitting the brakes, then going forward and hitting the brakes). But that's about it. I suppose if they're worn, they should start squealing. There is a small metal tab that starts touching the rotor once the pads are down to the limit.

As far as a clank over bumps, I would say no. Typically this would be caused by a sway-bar. Suspension woes can be very difficult to track down though...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I've been getting an odd clunk sometimes from my left front wheel after being in a stopped position (holding brake), then letting go and hitting gas (while in drive). It's not easily repeated (ie, I can't do it on command) but it happens.

The dealer has so far replaced both lower control arms, my strut assembly, the bushings to the left, and also both of my brake pads in the front (which they were convinced was the problem after all of these trips).

It's been 4 days since the repairs and the clunk is still there... I almost don't want to take the car back in just because I've had my car in the shop for 4 days now. Very frustrated.:x

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I had a "stuck" rf caliper . . . produced an interesting combination of sounds including a groaning/clanking sound. :x

I would never have guessed caliper and spent a fair amout of time poking around CV joints and the rear drive shaft looking for it . . . sounds like they have already suggested brakes as the culprit . . . did they check the calipers ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if they checked the calipers. I would have hoped they did considering they replaced my brake pads...

But the fact that they replaced all these items before zeroing in on the brakes doesn't leave me with much confidence.

When you had a stuck caliper, did it tend to happen when you were starting up from a stopped position? My noise tends to come from those situations where I've been using the brake then switching over to the gas.

I'm going to bring it back next week. Hopefully 3rd/4th (I can't even remember) time is the charm....:twisted:

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Anyone ever hear "Brake hoses on rear went bad. Caused the wheel brake cylinder not to detract. New rear pads, hoses, rotors and brake system flush. "

Me? I think I've been hosed. :evil:

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
It is possible for a flexible brake hose to become sufficiently swollen or clogged that it won't allow the caliper piston to loosen its grip on the rotor, while the extremely high pressure when you apply the brakes will overcome that resistance (in other words, behaves like a check valve).

A hose going bad this way suggests contamination, which would call for a thorough fluid flush and replacement of all four hoses. That contamination would also put the master cylinder seals at risk. OTOH the OEM hose could simply have been faulty. Or it could be a wallet flush. Only way to be sure is to examine the old part, assuming you trust the shop to give you the part that actually came from your car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

I've figured out a way to consistently recreate the noise (finally).

It happens predominantly when I'm making a right hand turn. Driving in tight circles to the left yielded no noise. Driving tight circles to the right yielded a groaning noise.

I replaced the rear diff fluid just 2k ago so that's fresh. Besides, it only happens going one way.

Making a tight right after having applied the brake prior yields the loudest noise.

Oh diagnosing this is gonna be fun. Hey Irv? Where'd you take your car? I'm out in Hoffman Estates and have been taking it to Schaumburg Honda...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do some research on the wheelbearing issues people have with these things. If your wheel bearing is bad, it can make noise in the brakes because the rotor will be tilting back and forth inside the caliper.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do some research on the wheelbearing issues people have with these things. If your wheel bearing is bad, it can make noise in the brakes because the rotor will be tilting back and forth inside the caliper.
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm a total newbie gearhead), wheel bearings only exist for our cars in the rear right? The noise I'm hearing is up front...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong...
You are wrong... :grin:

Front wheel bearing is #5. It gets pressed into the steering knuckle. Then the hub (#6) is pressed inside the bearing. Then the CV-axle is inserted through the hub and secured w/ a big ole nut. If the wheel bearing develops play in it, the hub brake-disc and wheel will all start to move around in relation to the steering knuckle:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to know I'm wrong, thanks :p I actually prefer to be wrong on this one. Gives me hope that there isn't something HORRIBLY wrong with my car.

So I guess that makes sense as a possible issue. The noise comes from the front left during a right turn so at that point the front left is taking a lot of force. Makes sense.

Thanks! I'll point it out to my service manager when I go in next week. I've been having a hell of a time trying to get this fixed (thankfully all under warranty so far minus the brake job).

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I've figured out a way to consistently recreate the noise (finally).
Hey Irv? Where'd you take your car? I'm out in Hoffman Estates and have been taking it to Schaumburg Honda...
A new Pep Boys repair place opened here a couple of months ago. I've got a guy over in Hanover Park I trust but this place I can walk to. The grinding was bad enough I didn't want to push it. So I took a chance on this shop. Still not sure how I feel about value vs cost on this repair.....but I'm at 115,000 miles and still happy with the Element. I have now spend less than $3000 on repairs/ maintenance in 58 months of ownership.:)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
When you had a stuck caliper, did it tend to happen when you were starting up from a stopped position? My noise tends to come from those situations where I've been using the brake then switching over to the gas.
Yes . . . it did. As soon as the noise appeared (my daughter is the full time E-driver these days) it made a short 10 mile trip home at low speeds (with the *boy friend* following along ;-) ) and was parked for 6 days before I got a chance to look at it.

I pulled it out onto the street a few times and got the noise right away. Zeroed in on the caliper after reading about similar symptoms on an Audi forum. 8)

·
Registered
282 Posts
i'll have to check the caliper... seems like a lot of people have the same issue... andfunny that most of em are from the front driver side as well... (same as mine).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I've been MIA for so long...

Anyways, here's the follow-up.

What's been replaced so far:
Brakes,
Both Lower control arms,
Left front strut tower,
Steering rack,
Bushings.

And still Schaumburg Honda can't figure out what's wrong and it's been 3 weeks since I first brought it into the shop.

Current symptom: Right hand turns there's a roughness that's audible and a vibration at the steering wheel. Left hand turns are nice and smooth. Clunking noise is gone (probably thanks to the bushing job).

Any suggestions on what to do next? The car is drivable and winter is about to hit so i took the car back. I doubt it's going to fall apart on me but it bugs me that they had my car for 3 weeks and still couldn't fix the issue.

Thankfully everything except for the brakes was done under warranty. My car is at 75k and I have 100k coverage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drove it the entire weekend. So more specifically it makes noises primarily while making right hand turns while being on the gas. If i'm on an incline of some sort, the likelihood of noise goes up even more.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If anyone cares... The mechanic at a new shop I took the car to found foreign material stuck around the transmission area that was causing something in the area to clunk with the play of the left wheel. Problem solved. I should have asked exactly where but it seems like a really random isolated problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts