Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had this dvd head unit installed today and brought Emass Diagrams to the install place. I told them I wanted them to hook up everything so that the factory speakers and sub work with the factory amp... I will change out speakers at later time. Anyways, when they were done told me everything works except sub. They told me that he couldn't get it to work because it's powered by factory radio. I know this is not true but I know the guy just don't know how to get it to work. I am not to familiar myself so what info can I go back with to get them to have it work? TIA

edit: Just wanted to add that the installer put the brain of the Clarion on the passenger side under the rubber flooring. I am concerned about that it may burn out from heat over time. When I asked they just told me not to worry. Also just found Emass post 2 page back on hooking aftermarket radio to stock amp and speakers so will be going back or somewhere else.

· Registered
141 Posts
I just upgraded my HU from the VRX-610 to the VRX935DV today. I did the install myself.

My factory sub works fine with it. I also have a Farenheit Diversity TV Tuner installed with it. The Diversity antenna is on the windshield, right in the middle. Gotta have local channels for the news.

My hideaway unit is under the driver side dash. I have it zip tied and completely hidden. I didn't like the idea of having it under the seat. I still need to make a custome faceplate to cover up the holes in the center piece.

I will take pics and post them.

How about posting pics of your Clarion VRX935DV?

BTW, don't ask how much I paid for the H/U, it might get certain members upset. :D I got a smoking deal on this unit. I mean smoking deal. :wink:

John

· Registered
2,337 Posts
[quote:4e9e1ef04d="1kewlelement"]BTW, don't ask how much I paid for the H/U, it might get certain members upset. :D I got a smoking deal on this unit. I mean smoking deal. :wink:

John[/quote:4e9e1ef04d]

hey i smoke... hook me up with the deal! 8)

· Registered
141 Posts
hey i smoke... hook me up with the deal! 8)
LOL, I bought the unit slightly used from a friend. He was getting rid of his car and didn't want to sell the H/U with the car.

I paid $600 for it. Actually, I sold my old setup (Clarion VRX-610, Clarion 6 disk CE-NET cd changer, Pyle PLDVD-120 in dash DVD player) for the same amount.

The Diversity TV tuner cost me $35 after shipping through ebay. That works great. That gave me 2 more extra AV inputs for other electronics.

BTW, Check Fry's electronics. They have an area in their Car Audio section where they store older stock or refurbished items. About 2 months ago, they had 2 VRX925DV for $699 and $799. Very few people know about that kinda stuff. I learned that info a while back from one of the employees there.

Just ask one of the sales persons where they stash the refurbished, used or demo equipment. Also, the price on the box isn't always the correct price. Sometimes, they are marked down even more.

John

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, went to another installer and he said the hide away unit is fine where its at so we'll see... Also he got the factory sub working but it seems not as loud as before with factory head unit. I paid $1200. for it at a car audio shop around here, oh well. I know I could have got it for less on like ebay, seen it go for like $900. for refurb. but I love this thing! I will post updated photos of my E later on the week, gotta take it back later this week to get the pocket done so that it's flush with the console. He had to order part for it. I also decided to put 5 1/4 infinitys in the 4 doors.

· Registered
960 Posts
[quote:b1d43299aa="Htown-element"] Also he got the factory sub working but it seems not as loud as before with factory head unit.[/quote:b1d43299aa]

There's probably a non-fading or sub control on your head unit that needs to be turned up in order to make it louder.

· Registered
141 Posts
There's probably a non-fading or sub control on your head unit that needs to be turned up in order to make it louder.
ya nailed it. Also, you can turn up the bass a little bit more by turning on the Loud setting.

I get plenty of bass in mine.

It is fine under the seat. It's just a personal preference. I already had an accident with a can of soda before and good thing that there wasn't anything there at the time.

John

· Registered
73 Posts
Just installed this unit in my element, I grounded to parking brake wire to view dvd while driving. Have not tested it while driving yet. I read in the manual it also has a motion sensor, does this also prevent you from viewing while driving? If so, any work around.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wasn't aware of motion sensor on this, but mine does work fine while driving. I don't advise it though, I plan on playing movies only for road trips for other passengers. It doesn't bother me since it is low enough in my field of vision of the road.

· Registered
141 Posts
Any diversity TV tuner is fine. I'm currently using a farenheit 145R. It has 2 AV inputs and 1 AV output.
It is very small and compact. It's about 4"(L )x4"(W)X1"(H). I have the diversity antenna mounted in the top middle part of the windshield, behind the rear view mirror.

John

· Registered
5 Posts
how do you do the install, i am looking at a microvision unit dvd/mp/tv tuner but want a tft screen which i will buy seperate. an install guy said as long as in has a vhg in? it will work somthin like that how hard is the install, how long did it take did you have experience any sites or reading material to help any replys appreciated

· Registered
141 Posts
[quote:228496e3ba="jstyleselement"]how do you do the install, i am looking at a microvision unit dvd/mp/tv tuner but want a tft screen which i will buy seperate. an install guy said as long as in has a vhg in? it will work somthin like that how hard is the install, how long did it take did you have experience any sites or reading material to help any replys appreciated[/quote:228496e3ba]

I've been installing car audio and video for over 10 years now. Just the past 3 years, I've installed over 50 car audio/video for friends and family. I'm constantly changing my system setup. I just do it on the side now.

Installation for me is not hard. Although, it is time consuming. I like to neat up all of my wirings. For car audio, I always use wiring harnesses and installation kits as much as possible.

Rear drop down monitors are one of the easiest to install. I highly suggest that you make sure that your LCD monitor is a TFT, otherwise, you will be very disappointed with the quality of the picture, specially during the day. Non TFT screens require you to view your movies straight on the screen and at a certain top/down angle only.

as for tv tuners for a car, I also suggest a DIVERSITY tuner w/DIVERSITY antennas. This type of tuner and antenna will allow you to watch local channels while driving. Regular tv tuners will give you very bad reception when you start moving. It doesn't pick up the signals as well.

External diversity tuners range from $75-$300, depending on the brand and type that you get. The $75-$130 ones are just as good as the more pricey ones. The pricey tv tuners are designed to work with certain HU brands and are controlled directy through the head units.

Most external diversity tuners have 1 A/V out and 2 A/V in. This will allow you to hook up a DVD, VCP, GAME CONSOLE, etc.

My Clarion Setup: VRX935VD (7" wide screen, DVD, VCD, CD, MP3, AM/FM)
VRX935VD = main Head Unit w/a hide away unit
Farenheit tv tuner is connected to the Visual Input 1 of the hide away unit of the Clarion.
JENSEN 6.8" TFT Swivel drop down rear monitor with a built-in diversity tuner and 2 A/V inputs.
Video output of from the Clarion hide away unit is connected to the JENSEN Video input 1.

Non fade ouput from RCA from the Clarion hide away unit is connected to the Factory subwoofer.

All connections are with RCA plugs. No engine noise at all. I used the factory wiring for power source for all my audio and video setup.

John

· Registered
73 Posts
This was my first installation:

System,
VRX935VD & Hide away unit (under Driver's seat)
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 - one pair in rear door
Rockford Fosgate 801X 4-Channel Amplifier (under Driver side rear seat)

It took me two weekends working about 3-4 hours per day. The main thing was to get the wires routed properly and out of sight. Most of the time was spent thinking of places where to locate wires and units. I have the shop manual which was a big help to remove panels properly and locate existing wiring.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.