Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody carried a dirt bike on thier E using a motorcycle carrier attached to the car with a Class III hitch? Does the rear end sag badly? How's the E drive with 350 pounds of bike and carrier in the back? Is there such thing as overload springs for the E?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
163 Posts
ElementPilot said:
...350 pounds of bike and carrier in the back..
The only hitch that is close to being appropriate is the Class 3 Valley/U-Haul hitch.

But, it is rated for 350lbs tongue weight, meaning 350lbs downward pressure on a hitch ball.

Considering that you're at 350lbs with the bike and the rack, and that your "lever-arm" is placed further away from the hitch receiver opening than the ball would be, you would effectively be exceeding the tongue weight rating of this hitch. Would you be OK? Probably :roll:

ElementPilot said:
Does the rear end sag badly?
I'm not sure, but if you had two guys stand on your rear bumper, that weighed 200lbs each, it would probably give you a pretty good approximation.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
E-nigma said:
I'm not sure, but if you had two guys stand on your rear bumper, that weighed 200lbs each, it would probably give you a pretty good approximation.
If I had two 200 pound guys stand on the rear bumper I'd have to buy a new bumper! But this is a reasonable test to see if the rear would sag out.

I agree with your assessment about the lever arm. The offset load and resulting torque would probably exceed the rated tounge weight. These Class III hitches should have sufficient safety factor to cover the overload.

Off to U-Haul I go!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hey Elementpilot

Let me know how this works out. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but given the probable sag (or levering of all that weight), the weight my XR650 weighs 345lbs dry never mind my carrier which weighs another 50 lb at least, and the attachment points for the hitch I was a little sketched out. I'd be concerned that all that weight so far back might make the front end a little light.
Josh

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
i think its that last concern: the attachment points

the valley/uhaul hitch is beefy enough to handle the weight, but the element frame may not be.

my element definately squats in the back with ~200 lbs of rack/bikes on the hitch.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
yup.

i pushed it a bit, but then backed off and only had ~150 lbs for my last road trip.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm off to U-Haul for Class III for $153 installed. This one has a 350 pound tounge weight rating.

Has anybody seen overload springs or air shocks for the E?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just so I understand, the E CAN NOT tow a 350lbs yamaha R1 on a 250lbs open trailer. using the OEM class 1 hitch. WHY???? :confused:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
overtoi said:
Just so I understand, the E CAN NOT tow a 350lbs yamaha R1 on a 250lbs open trailer. using the OEM class 1 hitch. WHY???? :confused:
I do not understand your confusion. The E CAN tow your bike & trailer. The previous posts on this Thread are basically discussing tongue weight capabilities.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
overtoi said:
The Element is rated to tow a 1,500# trailer and the crappy, over-priced OEM hitch is rated at 2,000# so is adequate for a 1,500# load.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When setting up the carrier for my E I had approx 550lbs on the carrier to make sure it would hold nearly any of the motorcycles that I own. The one modification I did to the actual carrier was to angle the input shaft so the carrier would ride level with the road surfabe instead of having the rear hanging down at an angle with the possibility of scraping.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Rokoneer said:
When setting up the carrier for my E I had approx 550lbs on the carrier to make sure it would hold nearly any of the motorcycles that I own. The one modification I did to the actual carrier was to angle the input shaft so the carrier would ride level with the road surfabe instead of having the rear hanging down at an angle with the possibility of scraping.
Rokoneer,

This mount looks great!

How much weight do you have going, including the bike and the rack?

Also, does the back end sag much, and how does the Element handle with this load?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rokoneer,

Have you felt any stability issues when cornering. Any strange leaning or front end lift? I'm thinking of getting a VersaHaul carrier (86 lbs) from http://www.versahaul.com and putting my 4stroke MX bike (250 lbs) on it.

Also, how did you modify the input shaft? Did you heat it up and bend it? I would think that could possibly cause some weakening.

Thoughts all?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rockneer, your set-up looks great. It is motivating me to do likewise.

How well do you like you bike carrier? I was thinking of getting the hyraaulic lift bike carrier, as this one is supoossed to be the most stable. What do you think?

BTW: How do you like Trials?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the compliments and questions fellow E freaks!

It should be known that I do NOT have a class 3 hitch, I have a class 1 and use an adapter to take the class 3 carrier mount down to fit into the class 1 hitch receiver.

E-nigma:The bike you see in the pictures is by far the lightest bike that I own. It's a Scorpa Trials bike that weighs in at 165lbs full of fluids, BUT, I also have carried a Buell that I own on this same carrier and it weighs in around 430lbs. I would guess the carrier by itself weighs in around 80lbs... Regarding back end sag: There is some , but not nearly as much as I would have thought. Obviously more sag with the heavier bikes, but not a real 'negative camber' overloaded VW Bug look, or even close. I think the E handles the load quite well. Steering is a little lighter and braking distances are a bit further, but you have to adapt and remember that you have more of a load to handle. I think the weakest link in the whole carrier set up is the way that the hitch mounts to the E. That rear mount loop that goes around the hoop on the rear of the car is by far the area most likely to fail IMHO.

kOOk: I wouldn't think you'd need a hydrualic lift as the carrier is not real far off the ground and you can roll a bike up there pretty easily, or use a board as a ramp if need be. I think the hydraulic carriers are intended more for full size trucks where the bike will end up being a couple feet off the ground when on the carrier. Handling issues were addressed above: the E does handle differently than being unloaded, obviously, but I've never felt unsafe or like I was close to the E's handling threshold when I had a bike on. You just adapt to the fact that things are a bit different...I modded the input shaft by cutting it, taking a slight angle out of it and welding it back on. Without doing that the carrier was at least 4 inches lower in the back than at the front/car side. It looked odd and having the bike loaded at an angle just seemed, well, wrong.

ElementPilot: Trials is incredible fun! Pretty hard to describe, but saw it defined as motorized ballet somewhere and that is fairly accurate. Watching someone who is really good at it, unlike me, will have your jaw hitting the ground.

Rokoneer (see www.rokonworld.com for the coolest motorcycles)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very nice set-up! I have a HiddenHitch Class 1 hitch and use an adapter to attach a Lund Hitchhand (load extender).

Did you ever experience any problems with your set-up using the Class 1 hitch. I've read about the Valley (U-Haul) hitch but it seems to me that they attach at exactly the same points, so U-Haul hitch would only allow you to use Class 3 attachments w/o an adapter. The amount of weight on the hitch attachment points would be the same regardless of what hitch you are using. Am I right about this or does the U-Haul hitch offer more support at the E's attachment point?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts