Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a post! I got a class III installed for my E this week and the place that did it did a great job. :) I didn't have the lights wired in because I just want to get a hitch & haul basket for the back of the truck. If I do get the lights I'm going to get the Honda kit. They charged me $250 installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks good. Looking to buy a hitch too. What made you choose the class III hitch vs. the class I? Are attachments easier to find for the larger hitch opening?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
What made you choose the class III hitch vs. the class I? Are attachments easier to find for the larger hitch opening?
That's exactly the reason you go with a 2" instead of that wimpy 1 1/4" one. Not to have a higher load/tow rating, since you'll never get close to that while towing with an E.
Plus you can always get an adapter to go from the 2" down to the little one.
To me the rinky dink 1 1/4" just doesn't look right. Looks too flimsy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Just remember that those tongue weight forces get multiplied several times when you start running over bumps. All of the sudden that 200 lbs you have loaded on that basket will put way more stress on that hitch than 200 lbs. Just keep that in mind. The hitch will hold up no problem. It's the mounting points on the E I'd be worried about.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just something to think about.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That would be foolish now would it not!:D With the E's 1500lb towing strength I think that the frame would be fine and as a personal chef the most I plan on is a cooler or the grill. This one me like!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No way you'll ever put 1500 lbs worth of stuff on one of those carrier things. [/url]
I hope not! I would be stupid to try! :D The hitch is rated for 350lbs on the tongue and is made for the Element. I'm well aware of the tongue weight issue. If I need to haul more I just crank up the F150..:smile: Last week I have an event for 250 people and had the e packed to the gills and the F150! Do you have a link for the grill guard that you have?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
It's not the towing weight you have to worry about. No way you'll ever put 1500 lbs worth of stuff on one of those carrier things. It's the E's very limited TONGUE LOAD LIMIT. I think it's like 250 lbs or something.

I found this about the CR-V
http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=1037
I can fill pages with links for the 'conversations' I've had with some ppl on the CRV sites about this very subject...
I had one guy get really rude, and told me there is no way that my Element can pull a 2300 lb trailer....

I guess the fact that I routinely do it, doesn't mean much to the ppl who tell me I can't:rolleyes:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Before I started to put my culinary education to work and cook for a profession I hauled 13 ton trenchers on trailers. Most tow ratings are under rated. If you have the knowledge of how to drive and brake with a trailer and use your low 1 and 2 properly there's no reason that you can't tow a bit above the rated weight safely.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It's a Draw Tight. The number I got off the unit is 75659. One piece construction and uses the holes that are all ready there. It has 5/8" bolts that mount to the frame 2 on each side and a u bolt that is on the tire well.;-) Go to www.draw-tite.com and punch in your truck info in the fit guide...Looks like it fits the 09 too..

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
I just ordered one yesterday from etrailer.com for my new E. I also ordered the wiring kit. Seems very simple to install. I got an email about an hour after I ordered it saying it had been shipped and according to UPS, it will be delivered tomorrow. Free shipping. Both the hitch and the connector kit was under $200.

Their web site shows a video on how to install the wiring harness. My wiring will come out underneath the vehicle instead of the crappy way the video shows though.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-wiring-install-2007-honda-element.aspx

Here's instructions for mounting the receiver:

http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=87506

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't have the grill yet! Maybe next year. I have a Char-Broil that I got from the curb on garbage day:D I rebuilt the thing and its like new! Home depot had all the parts. I was going to rent a tow grill but they were taken for Labor day weekend. I like gas because its fast and I can get in and out. I have done charcoal at events and if the clients will pay the $45 per hour for my grill chef services one hour is for just lighting the grill..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great deal Butters! I paid $250 installed. I'm getting that harness! I have only seen them at the Honda parts for over $100! Great find! I'm jealous! I talked to the place that put mine in and the tow capacity is 3500 lbs and the tongue weight is 350 lbs on that unit. If you drive train can handle that load is the limiting factor but the tongue weight should be good.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I don't have the grill yet! Maybe next year. I have a Char-Broil that I got from the curb on garbage day:D I rebuilt the thing and its like new! Home depot had all the parts. I was going to rent a tow grill but they were taken for Labor day weekend. I like gas because its fast and I can get in and out. I have done charcoal at events and if the clients will pay the $45 per hour for my grill chef services one hour is for just lighting the grill..
An hour? I hope that's padding your time, I use two Weber chimney lighters and can have it ready to grill in under 15 minutes! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
That's true if you need 10 lbs but the last gig I had to light up about 60 lbs of charcoal. Getting them to that nice hot ash state takes time. (Nice Hot Ash that's funny I don't care where your from! ):evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
That's true if you need 10 lbs but the last gig I had to light up about 60 lbs of charcoal. Getting them to that nice hot ash state takes time. (Nice Hot Ash that's funny I don't care where your from! ):evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:
I just add charcoal while grilling, just pick up a grate and throw on more.

*snicker*...nice hot ash...*snicker chortle* :lol:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My grate is 2'x5' and one piece. I found that if I get it all going at once it will last about 4-5 hours..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts