Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried using the 'clay' cleaning methods on their vehicles ?

i have recently heard about it and was wondering if anyone had any 'real-world' experience they could share...

thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote:d8b1ae3307="hambone"]has anyone tried using the 'clay' cleaning methods on their vehicles ?

i have recently heard about it and was wondering if anyone had any 'real-world' experience they could share...

thanks[/quote:d8b1ae3307]

I tried the Zaino bros. clay bar and wax products a few weeks ago. I had no experience with the clay bar deal prior. It's is quite cool and easy to do.
Seems like it is just modeling clay like substance which you keep lubricated with diluted liquid dish soap as you rub it over the paint. I also did my other car which is only a yr old. Never realized how gritty the surface of the paint is till you do this process. Amazing !! I followed the clay with another wash and then used the Zaino wax product. Easy to apply and remove but I understand if you live in a humid climate it may require several hours to dry before you wipe it off. All in all very satisfied with the results. I learn cool stuff from these boards. Good luck.
andy

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey, thanks for the reply...

i have read that modelling clay is different but i might try some fine pottery clay on my old ride ( really don't care what i do to that car)...

i keep reading testimonials to the process but i never know if it is just a sales pitch.

if anyone else has any experience, please share...

·
EOC Founder, Admin
2,897 Posts
I've got a buddy who swears by the Zaino products and clay bar. He has a black Maxima and when he gets finished it's like glass and amazing. I like the concept, but I never seem to have the time nor the energy to do all that! :lol:

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:811f6fe5d8="Element"]Anyone uses Mothers clay bar kit? I just recently purchase the kit but i wanted to know if it works or not?[/quote:811f6fe5d8]

Ya, I asked my mother for the clay bar kit so I could try it but she kinda just looked at me like I was crazy.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:41be04c52c="eMass"][quote:41be04c52c="Element"]Anyone uses Mothers clay bar kit? I just recently purchase the kit but i wanted to know if it works or not?[/quote:41be04c52c]

Ya, I asked my mother for the clay bar kit so I could try it but she kinda just looked at me like I was crazy.[/quote:41be04c52c]

Upon further review, that joke was just not funny. I'm sorry - I really don't know where I was going with that. :lol: :? :oops:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I will testify that Mothers clay bar kit works like a charm. I seriously thought that my red 97' Toyota Tercal needed a new paint job and decided to try the clay bar thing after reading about it in a AAA magazine.

After rubing the bar with its spray on stuff I was certain that I had just ruined what had been left of my paint job but after I waxed it I was surprised on how the car shined!!! It had never looked so good. I did it to my brother-in-laws 99' silver RAV and it gave it a really nice shine (his paint job is still in good condition).

I really recommend it, it makes your paint real slick and seems to prep it well for wax.

·
Registered
91 Posts
On the downside of such a beautiful shine, even the smallest of finger prints shows up big. So carry a clean terry towel with you at all times to smooth out the smudges. Ans if that aint anal enuf for ya. Try wiping off your nieghbor's prints seconds after he lifts his hand off the paint.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have been the Meguiars clay for years. Really good product and does make the paint as smooth as a babys bottom. A most excellent way to prep a car for an outstanding wax job.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW !!! thanks for all of the replies. i guess i will give it a try on my older car first and then try it on the element if things work out...

i talked to my neighbour, the potter, and she mentioned that it might be a vitrified porcelin clay that is used. she seems willing to test fire a few bars for me this summer to try...

in the meantime i will buy a commercial product and see what to expect...

again, thanks to all who took the time to reply !

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hambone - Don't let your neighbor fire any clay for you. The clay used is soft not hard. Also, vitrified is not the answer. Vitrified is hard clay with a glazed finish to it (I know this because my father was a sales- engineer for a vitrified clay company). using vitrified clay on your car would be like using a brick on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Claybar Instructional Video

Hi all. I came accross this web page with the video presented in the following link this past weekend. I think one & all will find it of value. Read through to the end of the page for the video.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

Enjoy!!:grin:

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
Zaino user here. Works great.
j

·
Registered
191 Posts
I absolutely LOVE both the Meguires and Mothers kits. Personally, I like Mothers more because you get more clay for later use, but both kits are awesome. Make sure to wax right after clay barring for that brand new looking paint shine and protection! You know you've done it right when your paint feels like cool glass :grin:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Clay bars are clay bars so go with the cheapest one you can find. There is nothing magical about them. I love using the clay bar as it pulls black top specks right off. Zaino is awesome but I always feel bad that I can't do my whole car with a dime size blob. No matter what brand wax you use it always looks better after you clay your car. My E is silver metallic and it almost doesn't even need wax after using the clay bar.

·
Registered
70 Posts
clay bar is a great product. even a new car could benefit from this treatment to remove rail dust that sticks to a new (soft) clear coat when shipping from the factory.

welcome to my world of only slightly useful car guy information.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.