Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

After reading some horror stories about the metallic surface on the dash
dials and center stereo console, I am a little weary about cleaning my E.
Can any of you please offer your best bet ideas for safely cleaning and
preserving the interior surfaces of your E? What do you use on the console?
What do you use on the seats? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, what do you use to wash your E? Does it have a clear coat or standard finish requiring wax?
Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

·
Registered
540 Posts
Look at the topic "Wax On, Wax Off" for cleaning hints.

I clean any grottiness the interior surfaces - dash, console, etc. - with OrangeClean all-purpose cleaner towelettes, and I sealed and protected those surfaces with Vinylex. Don't use it on the floor, it's not as slick as some things, but it's still way too slippery.

I haven't used anything on the seats yet, and don't expect to as they're water and stain repellant. I'd not hesitate to wipe something up, or if necessary, just follow with a damp towel. If I did get a messy spill or something looked like it would stain, I'd probably call Honda for their advice. You don't want to overdo cleaning a stain like that - makes things worse.

There are a million suggestions for what to use for washing the car - Zaino, Meguiar's and Griot's products all have their fans here. Read and just go with what you think sounds right for you. And have fun!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The plastic panels on my E are going to be an experiment for Honda. I plan on doing nothing to them except washing regularly. No dressings, coatings, protectants, etc. Let's see what they look like 3 years from now when my lease is up. Probably brand new, and I will have saved a ton of $$$ and sweat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great advice from the Luscious One and I am doing the same thing as hppypaul. I bought the vehicle to be a tool and my wife and I like it so much that it has become a friend.

·
Registered
540 Posts
[quote:ff0add8b22="airforcepinoy"]WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T USE ARMORALL.[/quote:ff0add8b22]

Amen. IMHO ArmorAll is a *nasty* product.

I guess I'm prejudiced because whatever's in it, I'm allergic to it.

I found this out after having my (other) car detailed and feeling Armor All on the steering wheel. And how good an idea is it to make the *steering wheel* hard to grip?!?!? :shock:

By the time I got home to get a cleaner and towel to remove it, my hands were all red and itchy! Bleah!!! :evil:

·
Registered
76 Posts
"I guess I'm prejudiced because whatever's in it, I'm allergic to it."

Well now I know that to defend myself against the Hellcat's claws, all I need is a spray can of ArmorAll :twisted:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just took water and a rag and wiped the entire inside down. I first did the dash and immediately wiped dry with paper towel. then I did the seats, doors and saved the floor for last. I had a lot of sand in my E from the beach so I vacuumed first then with just plain water and a rag just wiped it up. It looked brand new!!! Very easy and very cheap.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I like to vacuum all the river crud out first, then I get a bucket of water a Leetle bit of laundry soap and a rag and wipe her down. Not too wet, not too dry, just right and it comes out clean, clean, clean and smells nice too! I do put 303 protectant on everything periodically, maybe once every two months or so, but I put 303 on everything. Stuff's great.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Big Kahuna--Armorall will dry out the surfaces of your car, ie. dashboard, and make them more prone to cracking. But, as stated by others Aerospace 303 is an excellent product that gives your surfaces UV protection. It also will not leave that "shiny" look that Armorall leaves behind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts