Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 and I have magnetic signs on the doors of the truck. I have been removing them and cleaning them but last time I noticed that I have a light outline of the sign that appeared on doors. Any ideas as far as products that may restore the finish?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Try some good clear-coat swirl-out cleaner/polish and see what happens. If it is some sort of build up on the paint, that should take it off. Shouldn't be any kind of fading of the clear coat. But also might be surface damage from the edges of the sign vibrating on the paint in wind.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its not just the edges its like the whole area that the sign was on. I just wonder if it was from moisture that got trapped under the sign. I had the signs on my 97 F=150 for 3-4 years and you would never know that I had them in there. My concern is if the clear coat is damaged. :| If I get a chance I'll post a picture.

What would be a good clear-coat swirl-out cleaner/polish?

Would you use a buffer with a compound?

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Again, I would color sand it, which should bring it back to like new condition. They are going to use a 2400 grit sand paper and a liquid spray agent (i.e. like a Quick Detailer). Then go over the area with the grain of the paint, until the top layer of the clear coat has been taken down a little. Come back with a Polishing Compound, a Paint Cleaner/ Finisher, and apply a wax and sealer. Your doors will again look like they did before you put the signs on.

Chief

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again, I would color sand it, which should bring it back to like new condition. They are going to use a 2400 grit sand paper and a liquid spray agent (i.e. like a Quick Detailer). Then go over the area with the grain of the paint, until the top layer of the clear coat has been taken down a little. Come back with a Polishing Compound, a Paint Cleaner/ Finisher, and apply a wax and sealer. Your doors will again look like they did before you put the signs on.

Chief
I'm going to look into that! How would you determine the grain of the paint?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a look at your E! Great job! Beautiful truck! I would love to have a paint job like that! I was thinking about getting some graphics on the glass or a wrap for my business but I like the way I can remove my signs and blend.

Thank you for your service to our country.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I got a look at your E! Great job! Beautiful truck! I would love to have a paint job like that! I was thinking about getting some graphics on the glass or a wrap for my business but I like the way I can remove my signs and blend.

Thank you for your service to our country.
Thank you on both counts, and I deeply appreciate your kind words. The wrap is good way to go!

Chief

·
Registered
997 Posts
Honda has a bulletin for dealers telling them that if moisture gets under the protective wrap on new cars and clouds the paint to "carefully warm the paint with a hair drier." They do stress to avoid overheating the paint and to keep the drier temperature below 150 degrees because you could damage the paint if it gets too hot. They also say it can take more than one time doing it to clear the paint up.
here's their bulletin on it: http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/cloudy.pdf

The problem is Honda's fix is for damage that happened over a short period of time so I don't know if it would work for a situation where moisture was trapped for very long.

How long has the magnetic sign been off? How hot has it been outside?

Years ago a new car we got had a cloudy area on the rear roof where I'd guess moisture got trapped while it was on the delivery truck. I didn't know about trying the hair drier but it did eventually clear up, although it did take a couple of summers.

Be very careful with any sanding as the clear coat is thin and going through it would be very bad. And if they really smooth out a portion of the door the orange peel (texture that most all factory paints have) that is still there on the rest of the door/car may stand out more.

They also have a bulletin about dealing with it when it happens with a nose mask:
Water trapped between the nose mask and the paint may
cause cloudiness in the clear coat. This is especially
true for cars with fresh paint. In fact, if the car has been
repainted, don’t use the mask at all for at least two
weeks.
If cloudiness occurs from using the mask, you may be
able to clear it up using an infrared lamp. Apply the
lamp to the cloudy area for two hours. Keep the lamp
about 18-24 inches from the surface to avoid burning
the paint. If the lamp doesn’t cure the cloudiness, the
paint will have to be refinished.

again, be very carefull not to overheat the paint.

-Trevor

Genuine Factory Honda Element Accessories

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,823 Posts
The clouding is due to the plasticizer in the magnetic sign material depositing onto the clear coat combined with slight abrasion from the body of the signal "fluttering" against the surface.

Before overheating the surface with a heat lamp, which will permanently bake the plasticizer onto the clear coat, or wetsanding, which would remove a large part of the clearcoat, try claybar first, and if that doesn't work, a very light application of white polishing compound or cleaner wax. Either of these is gentler on the finish than wetsanding. If you work from the edges of the discolored area inward, you may be able to blend the area into the surrounding panel rather than having to polish out the entire area.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
How long has the magnetic sign been off?
Its been off for about a week of two

How hot has it been outside?
Its been cold I'm in the Chicago area..

I may just give that a shot! I have a surface temperature gauge (you just point and shoot kinda thing) that I use for cooking so I could monitor the heat with that.

Thanks guys! I'll let you know!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts