Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, there is a light click that comes from the steering wheel area. The sound is faint, like a light tap of a paper clip on a desk. It will only happen when the wheel is turned to the left, never to the right. If the steering wheel is at the center position, 1 cm of travel is enough to create the click. If the steering wheel is turned almost all the way to the left, there is no click. If it's halfway, it can also click when turned left. The click only happens if the steering wheel is turned quickly. Turning it very slowly will not create the sound. The annoying thing is that I hear it when I drive since I move the wheel slightly left and right to drive straight and it only takes a small turn to create the sound.

From what I have read, it could be the cable reel (clockspring/spring cable) or whatever is used to sense when the turn signal should go off automatically. Nothing else wrong at this time. I figure that when it goes bad (whatever it is) the horn won't work and the airbag light will come on or the turn signal will stay on.

Does that sound about right? Any good suggestions out there?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea! I'll give that a try when the weather warms up a bit. Is this problem something that should be fixed: a) immediately, b) when I have the spare time and money, or c) until it breaks?

It started soon after it got cold (30s) so I'm hoping that it'll go away in the summer. It's the first time that the car has been in this kind of weather for more than a few hours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts