Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. i have an 05 4wd with 47,000 and reside in north jersey. im hearing a clicking noise while turning and accelerating. its not the typical "change the differential fluid" noise that i experienced last summer, but i had the fluid changed out anyway along with brake, transmission, and powersteering fluids last week at honda. the honda tech i spoke with couldnt hear the noise i was describing during the test drive and when i returned to test drive with him, it was in fact not making the noise. id figured the changing of all those fluids had resolved the issue, as the honda mechanic reassured me it wasnt the axels they were fine. so the noise is back now less than a week later and im very confused. like i said, its not the typical hard turn and grind noise people experience with differential fluid break down. the fluid is new, and the axels are intact. the noise only happens when i turn and accelerate, not when im coasting thru a turn. anyone have any idea what it could be. thanks.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
does it happen when turning either direction or just one? if just one that would sound more like an axle to me, but if both ways i honestly have nothing, and it would be rare for both already at that low of mileage.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
The mechanic might have looked at the boots and thought, "Can't be an axle." But believe me, a CV joint can start clicking even though the dust boot is still intact. Try jacking up the car, engine off and in neutral, and turn each front wheel by hand at the full left and right stops. If that doesn't tell, try the same test with the wheels under power (but since you have 4WD, make sure all four wheels are off the ground).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Turning both directions. Accelerating and turning.... not coasting and turning. It started around 45,000 miles and is still doing it at 60K. Mine only occurs when the outside temps dip below freezing. Warm weather... no noise. Diff. and manual trans lube both changed. Inner and outer cv joints good (or appear to be) on both sides. Mine actually goes away after a few minutes of driving. It is not dependent on the motor warming up. I can let it sit for twenty minutes running from a cold start and it does nothing... the noise will still be there on the first few turns. Completely stumped on this one... and so are a few mechanic friends. I've had cv joints fail on other vehicles... the noise is almost like that clicking but not exactly the same. If it's really cold (below zero) i'll even get the noise going straight for a couple hundred feet after turning. Wife says "Let's move south". Maybe it's something to do with the springs flexing with the cold temps and not seating right? Maybe transmission? :?

·
Registered
211 Posts
The mechanic might have looked at the boots and thought, "Can't be an axle." But believe me, a CV joint can start clicking even though the dust boot is still intact. Try jacking up the car, engine off and in neutral, and turn each front wheel by hand at the full left and right stops. If that doesn't tell, try the same test with the wheels under power (but since you have 4WD, make sure all four wheels are off the ground).
I've been wanting to try that, but wasn't sure if the absence of vehicle weight would in itself return no clicking sound. Guess it's worth a shot. This is my second winter dealing with this annoying sound and I would really like to get it resolved.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Like others have said it does sound like you have a bad CV joint. I just bought a couple spare front shafts from a yard and they were $150 shipped. I did it because I have a lift and both inside boots are ether leaking or torn and I am a spare nut.:grin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thank you all for your ideas on this matter. it does occur when i turn the wheel in both directions, and it also only occurs when it less than 35 degrees outside. sorry to hear this phantom noise is annoying some of you as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same exact issue. Any luck?

Mine does the same thing. Turning both directions. Accelerating and turning.... not coasting and turning. It started around 45,000 miles and is still doing it at 60K. Mine only occurs when the outside temps dip below freezing. Warm weather... no noise. Diff. and manual trans lube both changed. Inner and outer cv joints good (or appear to be) on both sides. Mine actually goes away after a few minutes of driving. It is not dependent on the motor warming up. I can let it sit for twenty minutes running from a cold start and it does nothing... the noise will still be there on the first few turns. Completely stumped on this one... and so are a few mechanic friends. I've had cv joints fail on other vehicles... the noise is almost like that clicking but not exactly the same. If it's really cold (below zero) i'll even get the noise going straight for a couple hundred feet after turning. Wife says "Let's move south". Maybe it's something to do with the springs flexing with the cold temps and not seating right? Maybe transmission? :?
I have about the same dead-on issue. Any luck in fixing this? I'm taking my E to my mechanic today.

'05, 2WD, 115Kmi, only happens <35F from a cold start. Goes away within 1 mile. No other noise after that (>45mph on right turn as expected). No boot issues.

Thanks

-Wes Yates

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would have to confirm that the axles may be the culprit. Axles usually make noise when any type of load is placed on them whether it be from turning or accelerating. I know that mine went bad just the other day. It was making a horrible clicking noise that quickly progressed to a harmonic grinding noise. Even when I pulled it out, the boot looked like it was in perfect shape but internally it was a completely different story. Now I've gone through 2 axles for the left rear wheel in 60k miles. Hopefully your issue is up front and not the rear. Rear axles are ridiculously expensive even if you DIY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts