Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently installed my CLOUDRIDER grilles and found them to be a big disappointment related to quality and the very thin stainless they use. I have included my email to them below and their polite but weak response. They did not justify the reason for the thin metal used and did not answer my questions???? My GENTLE tightening of the cheap plastic topped thumb screws produced slight waves due to the thin metal. Cleaning will be difficult due because any preasure will cave them in. A better gauge stainless and all stainless thumb screws will help justify the top dollar price. My advice....Better to wait for a better product like 700,000 customers should have.....Element owners should demand a better product!!!

MY EMAIL TO THEM AND THEIR RESPONSE........

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Recent purchase of your grills for a Honda Element.

I recently purchased your front grill kit for my Honda Element. I was less then impressed with the overall quality of the grills. The Stainless they are made of is very thin and the two F875 flat clips were missing from the parts I received which was a little annoying. Why isn't the material used thicker and more durable? I am sure in time with rock hits to the grills, because they are so thin, they will sustain damage in some way. I have installed the lower grill and would like the F875 flat clips to install the upper grill. Even with gentle hand tightening of the lower grill mounts, they appeared to be a little wavy around the screw caps due to the thin material. I cannot see or think of any reason why you would not use a better or thicker gauge of stainless on this premium priced item. I cannot say that I would recommend your grills due to the very thin stainless you use to make them. For over $100 I would expect something a little more substantial and find them to be a disappointment. I am keeping them only because there is little else available for the Element. Due you have any plans to use a heavier gauge of stainless steel and give your customers a better value for the price you charge? If you intend improve the quality of the grills, I would like mine replaced.
In the mean time, please ship the two missing F875 flat clips.

CLOUD RIDERS RESPONSE:

Richard,

I am very sorry that you are not happy with your purchase.
Yes, the hardware kit missing parts is a frustration for us as well,
and I apologize for the error.
I will arrange for another hardware kit to be send out today.

As to the quality of the Stainless Steel, because a product is heavy is
not always a plus. We manufacturer using the gauge of steel we do for
various reasons, not the least of which is protection for the customer's vehicle.

Our screens are extremly well thought out, designed, produced and excepted
by over 700,000 customers around the world. We put great detail into all the components
of our products from the gauge of steel to the hardware instructions. Please refer to these
hardware instructions again. Over hand tightening of the thumbscrews will produce the
the wavy effect you refer to.

Again, Richard, I am sorry that our screens are not your personal preference.

Karen @ Cloud-Rider

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't that what the Mr. Potter offered George Bailey's customers from the Building and Loan in "It's a Wonderful Life" "I'll give you 60 cents on the dollar!" Please! Go away Danny!

·
Registered
359 Posts
RVDIII:

I have been extremely pleased with my Cloud Rider grill. Little problem securing it, and it looks very very good in place. You don't need to tighten them very much at all. Also, a little Windex on a soft towel cleans it right off, without a problem. Did you try cleaning yours? Sounds like you are assuming they will "cave in". Trust me, they won't as I have cleaned mine a number of times.

What you refer to as cheap plastic caps are actually caps made in plastic to further resist any chance of rusting and scratching the grill under the caps. When stainless is deeply scratched (from bolts etc), it can rust easier. Don't forget that stainless can rust. It just resists rust and stains (stainless is not stain free).

Also, regarding the plastic caps: Certainly anyone owning a Element should know that just because something is plastic, doesn't make it cheap or fragile!!!!

In fact, before I placed my order, I called Cloud Rider to be sure that there was some sort of protection, to stop the mounting screw heads from scratching the stainless grill. When I was told that the screw heads were plastic thumb styles, I was sold.

You are assuming that the grill will dent easily also. I have found them to not dent. No problems at all. Don't forget that they are firmly supported by the underlying Honda cross bars and grill pieces. Plus the steal is very "springy" and resistant to denting. You might not know this since you were unable to even install the entire set. I cannot blame you for being upset about missing mounting brackets. However, you are assuming that there will be a problem, and spreading negitivity based on this assumption.

If you are not happy why not simply return it? Or make your own. There are many threads about things like this. Seriously: you seem to hate the product and price. Send it back and then you have nothing to be concerned about.

I think they did address your points and questions. The end result is that they are telling you that they will not be using thicker stainless. They seemed pretty direct in saying that they have found the materials they use to be the best for the purpose of the grill.

Do you really think that $100 is a lot of money for this two piece set? Yiikes. Seems well priced to me. Stainless steel, high polished, all mounting brackets, made in Canada and including freight all for $115.00 made me very happy.

As a comparison, the single piece plexiglass air deflector, for the hood of an Element, will run you anywhere from $106.00 - $149.00 WITHOUT freight. The pastic, one piece Honda front bumper trim for the E is $210.00 from the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:e42350c87e="utahrex"]:roll:[/quote:e42350c87e]

ha ha. That's what a lot of people say after seeing the Element. As I tell them, if you don't like it - don't buy it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:6b84da0ad4="jayharley"][quote:6b84da0ad4="utahrex"]:roll:[/quote:6b84da0ad4]

ha ha. That's what a lot of people say after seeing the Element. As I tell them, if you don't like it - don't buy it.[/quote:6b84da0ad4]

Good advice.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have to say that I do like my Cloud Rider grill guard. I got the black powder finish. Installation took a little longer than I'd expected (but less than 30 minutes), but I think the guard looks great on my SOP. I also thought that the price was very reasonable. I didn't really have any expectations about the thickness of the guard, so no problem there.

Most importantly, it's doing the job I bought it for.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I really like my cloud rider grill. I have not had a problem with the screws. Took me like 10 mins to put it on. It gives my Eee a more custom look and my rad has much better protection.
At the end of a recent long road trip I checked out my grill and there were serveral Big assed bugs that didn't make it to denting my rad.
To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
129 Posts
[quote:69575d60b5="mortaaay"]I really like my cloud rider grill. I have not had a problem with the screws. Took me like 10 mins to put it on. It gives my Eee a more custom look and my rad has much better protection.
At the end of a recent long road trip I checked out my grill and there were serveral Big assed bugs that didn't make it to denting my rad.
To each their own I guess.[/quote:69575d60b5]

I put mine on last night. In less than 900 miles, there were noticable creases in the lower radiator fins. (Before installing, I tried straightening some of the mushed fins out with a small screwdriver, with little success. I just wound up folding the crease over the other way. Those fins are made from material no stronger than thick tin foil. Sheesh.)

I'm satisfied that (a) the Cloud Rider screens are thick enough to do the job for which they are designed, (b) the product appears to be quality workmanship, and (c) it improves the look on my GGM besides. I'm happy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the grills are an excellent product. I've had mine on for a month now and they look great, they are wearing great, and the price was great. Regarding the "thickness" of the stainless steel......why would you want to add anything that weighs so much to the E? Plus, stainless steel is actually an incredibly strong metal at this weight.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Since this is my first Honda, I'd never actually paid attention to Hondas on the road before. Now that I've got it, I've been looking at the other Honda models out there and I'm surprised to see that a whole lot of them have these big holes in the bottom of the nose of the car, with a radiator clearly visible behind it. Must be a design philosophy.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:f2cf333bfe="reedpc"]Since this is my first Honda, I'd never actually paid attention to Hondas on the road before. Now that I've got it, I've been looking at the other Honda models out there and I'm surprised to see that a whole lot of them have these big holes in the bottom of the nose of the car, with a radiator clearly visible behind it. Must be a design philosophy.[/quote:f2cf333bfe]

Yes, I also have noticed this. Most other vehicles have some sort of a "grill" in front of the radiator as opposed to it all being open. I am surprised that Honda did not put a plastic grill, like the top section on the E, over the bottom section.

My Cloud Rider has done a great job. I have a good number of miles on it, and no dents or problems at all. And it catches lots of giant bugs. Also, still my water temp has not even gone to the half way point on the temp guage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The only aspect of the Cloud Rider Grill that I didn't like was appearange of the black plastic knobs.

A few shots of chrome paint took care of that and produces a much cleaner overall look.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:b1fe004a3f="csousa"]The only aspect of the Cloud Rider Grill that I didn't like was appearange of the black plastic knobs.

A few shots of chrome paint took care of that and produces a much cleaner overall look.[/quote:b1fe004a3f]

Here is another suggestion: At motorcycle shops you can buy little chrome bolt covers. You can use the 1/2" chrome caps, and simply put them over the CloudRider black knobs with a drop of silicone. The end result is no more black knobs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just received my black grill and I don't have any instructions. Did they come with instructions? Could someone who had a great experience with installation please respond and help me out? I sent cloud-Rider an email and am waiting to hear back. I would like to install this weekwend.

Does the model number make a difference? (20-912LP)

Thanks Guys
SMM 2WD EX

·
Registered
253 Posts
I love my grille cover and I have sprayed it off with a power hose several times now with no problems.

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:c29fe944eb="thatgirl"]I just received my black grill and I don't have any instructions. Did they come with instructions? Could someone who had a great experience with installation please respond and help me out? I sent cloud-Rider an email and am waiting to hear back. I would like to install this weekwend.

Does the model number make a difference? (20-912LP)

Thanks Guys
SMM 2WD EX[/quote:c29fe944eb]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts