Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing the top part of my Cloudrider grille. The bottom part wasn't too bad but the upper part had me cussing and kicking.
Those little flat "thingamajiggers" at the end of the screw that you have to finagle through the hole of your existing grille in order to tighten it down are just downright hateful little buggers to insert. It took me almost 1 solid hour to get them in there. I had to bend and wiggle the screen in order to see what I was doing. Now the screen pooches out in one part and doesn't lay flat because of me having to do that. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:
If I ever wanted to take the dang thing off it would be equally if not more difficult to do so. The little flat peices of metal at the end of the screw also scratched the inside holes of the existing grill very badly. There was no way to attach the thing from the behind the grille because of the top part of the radiator is sealed off and I couldn't gain access to that area except in the manner I did. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!! :roll: Then after I got the top screen on the rubber edge started to come off. :oops: Thank goodness I was able to take my fingernail and push in back into place. If I had to take that thing off and do it over again I might have slit my wrists. It looked so simple and straightforward to install. Not all things are as easy as they look.

Crackerbox
Arlington, Virginia

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[quote:d6d9cf3ab1="LittleDogBox"]I just finished installing the top part of my Cloudrider grille. The bottom part wasn't too bad but the upper part had me cussing and kicking.
Those little flat "thingamajiggers" at the end of the screw that you have to finagle through the hole of your existing grille in order to tighten it down are just downright hateful little buggers to insert. It took me almost 1 solid hour to get them in there. I had to bend and wiggle the screen in order to see what I was doing. Now the screen pooches out in one part and doesn't lay flat because of me having to do that. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:
If I ever wanted to take the dang thing off it would be equally if not more difficult to do so. The little flat peices of metal at the end of the screw also scratched the inside holes of the existing grill very badly. There was no way to attach the thing from the behind the grille because of the top part of the radiator is sealed off and I couldn't gain access to that area except in the manner I did. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!! :roll: Then after I got the top screen on the rubber edge started to come off. :oops: Thank goodness I was able to take my fingernail and push in back into place. If I had to take that thing off and do it over again I might have slit my wrists. It looked so simple and straightforward to install. Not all things are as easy as they look.

Crackerbox
Arlington, Virginia[/quote:d6d9cf3ab1] Excuse me, I mean't to sign as LittleDogBox....
it's been a long night. I going to be. :oops:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote:9f03aa87ce="LittleDogBox"][quote:9f03aa87ce="LittleDogBox"]I just finished installing the top part of my Cloudrider grille. The bottom part wasn't too bad but the upper part had me cussing and kicking.

Crackerbox
Arlington, Virginia[/quote:9f03aa87ce] Excuse me, I mean't to sign as LittleDogBox....
it's been a long night. I going to be. :oops:[/quote:9f03aa87ce]
....couldn't even get that right....I AM GOING TO BED. GOODNIGHT. :roll:

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The grilles are thin and cheaply made for $100+. I was not happy with them overall and had the little flat bolts missing from my kit. Cloudriders are not a good choice I am afraid but there are very few alternatives. They should use an all stainless bolt (Not cheap black plastic top bolts) and a heavier gauge of stainless as well. I doubt they will hold up well to cleaning or with small rock hits. I am not surprised yours bent in during install. We are all eager to find new products for our E's, but we should try not to settle for cheaply made over priced junk.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:6936e1ea83="LittleDogBox"]I just finished installing the top part of my Cloudrider grille. The bottom part wasn't too bad but the upper part had me cussing and kicking.

Crackerbox
Arlington, Virginia[/quote:6936e1ea83]

The key to installing the top portion is to keep the flat lock pieces (that fit behind the grill) at the very end of the screws. That is why the nylon lined nuts, that attach to the end of each screw are only supposed to be finger tight.

This way the flat locking pieces can also be at the end of each screw to aid in the assembly. Then you can simply fit them thru the Honda grill holes with a little bit of wiggling. Once loosely in place, pull the black cap towards you to put pressure between the flat locking pieces and the back side of the grill, when you tighten them down. This way you never have to bend the screen during assembly The entire operation took me 15 minutes for the top and bottom.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I removed the top guard that is over the radiator - per the instructions that were given to remove the whole bumper. It's 5 easily removed clips, and one solid pastic piece is out allowin you to get your hands between the grill and the radiator. I also added a black rubber washer and a large metal ring washer to make sure that the metal clips do not wiggle their way loose.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:435e933726="isketerol"]I removed the top guard that is over the radiator - per the instructions that were given to remove the whole bumper. It's 5 easily removed clips, and one solid pastic piece is out allowin you to get your hands between the grill and the radiator. I also added a black rubber washer and a large metal ring washer to make sure that the metal clips do not wiggle their way loose.[/quote:435e933726]

Now I am confused. The Cloud Rider instructions do not say anything about needing to remove any part of the E's grill prior to installation. Maybe I am misunderstanding your post. The idea of the black rubber washer is a good safeguard, however, but not sure if it is needwd.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote:d86940c47d="isketerol"]I removed the top guard that is over the radiator per the instructions that were given to remove the whole bumper. It's 5 easily removed clips, and one solid pastic piece is out allowin you to get your hands between the grill and the radiator. I also added a black rubber washer and a large metal ring washer to make sure that the metal clips do not wiggle their way loose.[/quote:d86940c47d]

Actually I am embarrassed to say that the radiator cover is a breeze to remove and I would highly advise anyone who purchases the Cloudrider to do so before attempting to finagle those screws through the original grill openings. :oops:
I gave it a try after seeing your post. I guess if I hadn't been so annoyed by the mosquitos in my yard and just being plain grouchy in general I would have investigated the little pop out pins and would have saved myself from being stressed out for nearly an hour. I didn't see in the instructions however anything about removing the radiator cover first.......of course I can't check to see what it says now because I tossed it out last night. After removing the radiator top I took off the grill and managed to straighten out the "pooched out" part I was talking about. I had wiggled and bent it so much last night to insert the screws through the existing grill holes that I thought I had ruined it. I got it flattened out and it looks much better now.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guess I'll weigh in here too. I found the product really easy to install and I didn't take anything off. I just did like jayharley and had both top and bottom pieces done in around 15 minutes.

Since I have the black powder coated version I would not want to have anything else other than a black fastener showing, like the black plastic knobs. But if I had the mirror stainless version I would want matching mirror stainless knobs and not the black knobs. The black knobs must stick out like a sore thumb on the stainless.

I'm not totally in love with this product and have some reservations about the overall fit, especially on the lower piece where there seems to be a need for additional fasteners if, like me, you don't have a front license plate holder. I was also a little surprised at how thin the metal is.

I wish I had only paid $115 for them instead of the $164.64 I spent with Mad Ram. Still, it's not what I consider to be the most overpriced accessory available.

Ya pays yer money an' takes yer chances....

K

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote:da95a9753b="Kamakiri"]Guess I'll weigh in here too. I found the product really easy to install and I didn't take anything off. I just did like jayharley and had both top and bottom pieces done in around 15 minutes.

Since I have the black powder coated version I would not want to have anything else other than a black fastener showing, like the black plastic knobs. But if I had the mirror stainless version I would want matching mirror stainless knobs and not the black knobs. The black knobs must stick out like a sore thumb on the stainless.

I'm not totally in love with this product and have some reservations about the overall fit, especially on the lower piece where there seems to be a need for additional fasteners if, like me, you don't have a front license plate holder. I was also a little surprised at how thin the metal is.

I wish I had only paid $115 for them instead of the $164.64 I spent with Mad Ram. Still, it's not what I consider to be the most overpriced accessory available.

K[/quote:da95a9753b]

Like you I am not totally 100% crazy about the grill. If something else were to come out that looked of better quality I may sell the one I have on Ebay.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:71bcf70377="Kamakiri"]
K[/quote:71bcf70377]

I have the stainless and don't mind the black knobs at all. However there is a simple fix if someones hates the black knobs. You can purchase chrome bolt covers, from motorcycle dealers. I have found the 1/2" size to fit nicely on the knobs. Just a glob of silicone sealer inside the cover and stick it over the knob and you have chrome knobs on your polished s/s grille. The covers are cheap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
[quote:026df62ed8="Kamakiri"]Guess I'll weigh in here too. I found the product really easy to install and I didn't take anything off. I just did like jayharley and had both top and bottom pieces done in around 15 minutes.

K[/quote:026df62ed8]

I have the stainless steel model and had the same feeling (black on silver...not good). Simple chrome paint fixed that (looks much better than black ...not perfect....but much better).

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just got mine last night and also had some trouble inserting the top clips. One of them went in fine, but the other one was cut funny. Finally had to take a hacksaw to it to trim the edge to get it small enough to fit though the grill.

All that aside, I do love the grill.

eKennedy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts