Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I'm having trouble figuring out what is happening here.

On occasion, I cant quite pinpoint when but I get a clunk in the left rear per tire rotation. This leads me to believe that it is related to bearing, c/v joint or diff. I'm not sure if it happens when it is warmed up or if I take a certain direction of turn. It will be driving fine and then I come down to a stop and here a decently loud clunk, clunk, clunk as the tire spins. Then it will go away and show up at another time. Here's what I have done:

I replaced all the suspension in the car last year. Bearings, bushings, shocks, brakes etc... It was fine for all that time. I got an alignment done and 4 new tires and I heard it for the first time on my way home from Discount tire. Cant say it is related or not, or just coincidence. I changed the diff fluid with the honda dual pump. Maybe the old crappy tires wouldnt grab like these and the diff is not working properly. I'm kind of stumped. I do know a lot about cars and pretty much do everything myself. I'm just wondering if someone has had this before, its hard to understand if the diff is trying to do something but cant? I'm kind of leaning that way....

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If this is happening when you're going straight, it is not the diff.

Have you tried rotating the tires? Can it be something as simple as loose lug nuts (you did mention it happened after service at DT)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this is happening when you're going straight, it is not the diff.

Have you tried rotating the tires? Can it be something as simple as loose lug nuts (you did mention it happened after service at DT)?
Yeah nothing is wrong with the tires or how they are mounted. If the diff thinks it needs to adjust something when it doesn't have to it might do it when it goes straight. Almost like the clutch is disengaging in the diff and then gets back to normal when I come down to a stop? I'm grasping here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
pueblopete
Honda Element Owners Club
Element Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod.
Full Forum Listing