Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

Recently, my E began making a clunking sound on the passenger side, where the two doors meet. I've tried lots of remedies (keeping the storage empty; *really* slamming the doors shut; adjusting the seat belt into different positions; etc.), but nothing has worked. It's a pretty "heavy" sounding clunk - way more than a rattle.

I am finally heading to the dealer to have it looked at this week, but I was wondering if anyone had this problem and a possible solution. It's always helpful to have something to go on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
on rough dirt/gravel roads in the "north maine woods" we noticed the rear half door driver side,clunking quite a bit. but now back on reg roads, we dont hear it anymore. i hope it stayes away. it really bugged me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had the same problem. There should be a detailed post about this somewhere that will give you instructions to fix it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I called our service person earlier today and told him about this clunking noise. Apparently, this is not the first time he's heard of it. It seems to be a common problem. I'll find out tomorrow when I take it in for service.

Also, our rear hatch doors are not even. The driver side gap is bigger than the passenger side gap.

:roll: :x

john

·
Registered
141 Posts
We brought the E in for service yesterday and they decided to keep if indefinitely, for now. They gave us a rental in the meantime.

The passenger side was getting worse. Even the driver side started to make a little noise whenever the body flexes.

John :cry:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get the same thing, most noticable when the body shifts from side to side in my driveway. Sounds exactly like it's coming from the seat belt mechanism inside the pillar of the door. One of many noises I need to have a dealer deal with once I find one that's worth a damn in Milwaukee, WI.

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
Same clunking here also from the lack of b-pillar area. Took it earlier this week for oil change, driver seat rocking and for this noise to my dealer here in Houston. Well, they didn't fix seat because they didn't have the bushings so they ordered that, they knew I was coming in for that by the way. Told me they fixed the noise from b-pillar by putting some insulation but noise still there. So once the bushings come in I will take the info from this thread http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3107&highlight=bpillar
so hopefully it will be resolved. I personally think my doors are out of alignment because the driver door does not look totally flush when closed. Plan on taking it elsewhere for dealer service in future since Gillman SW is a high volume dealer so their service dept is not the greatest.

Update: I just read that there is now a TSB just out for this problem and the dash rattle too. Does anyone have it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I thought I was having the same problem, but my fix was significantly simpler.

I had a rattle on my driver side and the doors have been a little uneven, letting in a breeze and road noise. Very annoying.

So today I was fussing around, trying to ID the cause, and I noticed that the bottom edge of the door wasn't latching in properly. I tried everything I could think of - like slamming the door repeatedly (I'm not a terribly sophisticated repair guy). And then, after I gave up and was throwing some stuff into the back seat, I happened to notice that the little metal arch that the back door latches on to looked crooked. Closer examination showed that the two screws that hold it in place were both loose, and the arch moved back and forth freely. Using my mechanical ingenuity, I whipped out a pocket knife and tightened the sucker down. All rattling and crooked door problems were fixed!

Probably not going to be that simple for all of you, but it might be something you want to look at.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I will have to look at that later since my door looks to be not flushed towards the bottom edge of door. But the sound is coming from up top though. Well they still have not called me yet to come back in to fix the seat. By the way, the new tsb is for the a-pillar/dash noise and not this b-pillar problem... oh well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I get the same thing, most noticable when the body shifts from side to side in my driveway. Sounds exactly like it's coming from the seat belt mechanism inside the pillar of the door. One of many noises I need to have a dealer deal with once I find one that's worth a damn in Milwaukee, WI.

Funny you should say that. I have a very steep hump at the top of my driveway and everytime my "E" goes over it I hear a thump from the driver side door. I thought it was my hooks on the oh [email protected]! handles in the back but it was the same as yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.