Honda Element Owners Club banner

clunking from the rear

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  in2steam 
#1 ·
Ever since the stealer had the car hanging from a lift for over four days to replace the trainy (another story) I've been getting a clunking sound out of the rear when going over bumps and such. The stealer saw no relationship between his fix and the new problem, but also couldn't determine exactly what it was and suggested many things, most likely an attempt to recoup some of the lost 'service revenue' through the forced warranty work on the trans.

Struts? Links? Anybody care to guess?

Thanks

#2 ·
You pretty much said it. Check and see if there is oil leaking out of the top of the shocks and if so it will need to be replaced. Also check the swaybar bushings to see of the rubber has come out. Loose rear door strikers.

#3 ·
Rear Clunking

I had a similar problem with my 2003 E. It was the sway bar bushings. Another poster on EOC told me about a trick to solve the problem by taking electrical tape and wrapping it around the swaybar where the rubber bushings (the ones at the frame) are. The bushings harden and the bar clunks against them. I just loosened the bushings, wrapped tape around the bar, then reassembled the bushings. That was 50K miles ago and still no noises. I was amazed how loud the noise was before I did this fix.

#4 ·
I have the same issue. Looks like I'll be trying the electrical tape trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.