Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YIKES! When I turn into my driveway, which involves a sizeable dip in the gutter, a "CLUNK" sound happens--sounds like it's the seal separating between the liftgate and the tailgate. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:102d65a6cd="uunityy"]YIKES! When I turn into my driveway, which involves a sizeable dip in the gutter, a "CLUNK" sound happens--sounds like it's the seal separating between the liftgate and the tailgate. Anyone else experience this?[/quote:102d65a6cd]

This might sound stupid, but are you sure it is nothing clanking around in one of the two side storage areas in the trunk? I had a big clunking sound coming from the front end when I was pulling into my drive and it was my cell phone (which is stored in the overhead area on the EX). Without any sound deadening fabric or padding, in the interior, the sounds from loosly stored items get pretty loud.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know that sound was my flashlight in one of my rear storage areas
check it out-let me know :idea:

·
Registered
5 Posts
What did you find out? Im also getting that rear clunk noise going over bumbs in a turn. Its driving me crazy. I've checked for anything loose back there. checked spare tire compartment. Can't seem to pin-point the noise. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Are you putting on your brakes when this clunk happens?

lon777 replied when I had a similar noise....search my posts....I forget exactly what part it is that needs a bit more grease....I simply printed out his response and took it to my dealer....no more clunk!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The clunk happens with or without the brakes being applied. Mostly on right turns going over bumps or dips in the road. All feedback on this topic is much appreciated. Thanks all....

·
Registered
5 Posts
For some reason I cant search past page 1 of your posts. bummer cuz I really want to know what your solution for that clunk was....

·
Registered
22 Posts
i know the clunk you guys are talking about. my friends and I kind of pin pointed it to the rear hatch, but i just cant figure out what it is. anymore ideas from you guys?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sent my wife to the back of the vehicle to see what she thought and she came to the conclusion it was the hatch. I quess I'll have to let her drive whil im back there. Damm...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally the clunking sound got on my nerves and I found time to get it to the dealership. The mechanic verified that indeed it was coming from the rear hatch. Aparently the STRIKER PLATE for the rear hatch wasn't properly adjusted at the factory or it was loose. They adjusted it and shazammm! No More Clunking Sound!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I find myself on this website more times than I would like to admit, in any given day. and I go on the message boards to read all of the new posts since my last visit. A lot of the posts are bringing attention to different kinds of noises and possible problems they are having with their Es.
I recently hit 1300 miles on my E which I purchased earlier this month.
First, I became paranoid about my windshield. Turns out my VIN is on the service bulletin by Honda regarding cracked windshields.
Next, I read several posts about a "cracking or popping sound coming from the rear, especially when driving over bumps and sometimes around turns." Now I hear them in my car.
The latest issue I am having seems to be coming from my driver's side back window. It was just opened for the first time to my knowlege about 2 weeks ago, precisely then this rattling noise started. It sounds as if the window is not tightly closed when it is locked.
On top of everything, my speaker cover on my driver's door does not stay on flush with the door. It looks as if it is popping out, and it won't catch when I push it back in.
Will I most likely have to kill an entire day at Honda service. Has anyone had any good, effective, quick services for any of my car's problems that are listed above?

·
Registered
1 Posts
[Recently I have been getting the same noise from the driver side door.
Any suggestions?]
I am also getting a similar rattling sound from the driver's side door.

When I hit a bump, the rattle sometimes is so loud that someone in my car remarked that my door may not be closed correctly. But I opened both doors up and closed them again and the rattle is still there.

Any ideas?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts