Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...yes I am a female...so I may be asking a crazy question...but here goes!! I have an 08 E, and have found another one that I want to purchase. The miles seem very low as well as the price for an 08. I was wondering if they could have changed out the cluster or stopped the mileage. And, is the milage stored in the computer so it could be checked...it is in great shape, but mileage doesn't seem correct.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Okay...yes I am a female...so I may be asking a crazy question...but here goes!! I have an 08 E, and have found another one that I want to purchase. The miles seem very low as well as the price for an 08. I was wondering if they could have changed out the cluster or stopped the mileage. And, is the milage stored in the computer so it could be checked...it is in great shape, but mileage doesn't seem correct.
You can disconnect the cluster and it will stop counting, and it is possible to remove one wire from the back to cut power to the odometer and VSS, and it will not register, or the car could have been SALVAGED which is probably why it's cheap, or the cluster was swapped out from a wrecked Element to fraud, or it really just does have that many miles on it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What is on it now ? (the one you want to bye) You can try a car fax or somthing like it..

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
they have been doing odo and speedo over can for a while to the clusters so there is no more clipping the vss wire to stop mileage tracking. it could have been one of several ways, but that isnt one of them. get a car fax and buy a honda certified used one and you wont have to worry about it anyway.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
If the miles are really that low the price will be high. If they can document the miles they will raise the price. I generally try to buy vehicle that in the range of years old X 12.5 k miles a year. For a 10 year old car I expect 125,000 miles + or - 10K. Anything lower ask why. Maybe Retiree? Medical? Any more ask to see maintenance records. I don't consider cars that fall outside of these ranges because I figure that is where the fraud is at. ODO fraud is easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts